Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from Cambridge (maths), Imperial (maths), Imperial (physics), Durham (NatSci), and Edinburgh (Theo Physics) and put Cambridge as my firm and Edinburgh as my insurance. I Got A*A*A* in Maths, F Maths and Physics but did pretty terribly (due to nerves I think) on the STEP so didn't get into Cambridge. However, now I just feel really sad about going to Edinburgh and wish I was going to Imperial or Cambridge. This might just be a case of wanting what I can't have as I do frequently wildly change my mind as to what I want and don't want and I can imagine feeling completely different in a couple of weeks.

Is it worth reapplying? I could work and travel through the year but I wouldn't have any friends so that seems a bit lonely. I would also obviously improve my STEP skills (to retake at the end of the year) and learn some physics but this could perhaps get boring if I have an entire year. I really have no idea here, and I have to sign the contract for accommodation fro Edinburgh in the next few days, I'm stressing out!!

I'm thinking I could apply to Cambridge for post graduate stuff like the MASt in Applied mathematics but how good would my chances be coming from Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoodDay)
    I got offers from Cambridge (maths), Imperial (maths), Imperial (physics), Durham (NatSci), and Edinburgh (Theo Physics) and put Cambridge as my firm and Edinburgh as my insurance. I Got A*A*A* in Maths, F Maths and Physics but did pretty terribly (due to nerves I think) on the STEP so didn't get into Cambridge. However, now I just feel really sad about going to Edinburgh and wish I was going to Imperial or Cambridge. This might just be a case of wanting what I can't have as I do frequently wildly change my mind as to what I want and don't want and I can imagine feeling completely different in a couple of weeks.

Is it worth reapplying? I could work and travel through the year but I wouldn't have any friends so that seems a bit lonely. I would also obviously improve my STEP skills (to retake at the end of the year) and learn some physics but this could perhaps get boring if I have an entire year. I really have no idea here, and I have to sign the contract for accommodation fro Edinburgh in the next few days, I'm stressing out!!

I'm thinking I could apply to Cambridge for post graduate stuff like the MASt in Applied mathematics but how good would my chances be coming from Edinburgh?
    First of all, congratulations on your A Level results! Not going to Cambridge isn't the end of the world. However, I would say that if you're not 100% happy about going to Edinburgh, don't go and waste a year and get yourself into a years worth of unneeded debt.

Personally, I'd apply for Cambridge and Imperial next year because they seem to be the ones you're most interested in going to. If you fail STEP again, you can always rely on Imperial.

Also, the three different subject choices sounds like you're undecided on what you actually want to do. So, a year out could help you decide.

Good luck

ReputationRep:

Check with Cambridge if they would even be interested in a retake STEP

Edinburgh is an excellent university it certainly would not be a barrier to further study to have taken your first degree there

ReputationRep:
    Don't be stressed buddy, you're in a wonderful position. I think what you could do is go for "adjustment". This is a type of clearing but only for those who did "better or exceptionally well" at A Levels.
    I'm sure unis such as UCL, Imperial, Kings even Oxford have adjustment.
    I'm not fully sure about the requirements etc, and not really familiar with this path. But i've heard a lot about it. Maybe someone here can give you more detailed advice on adjustment. Sounds perfect for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMAN123)
    Don't be stressed buddy, you're in a wonderful position. I think what you could do is go for "adjustment". This is a type of clearing but only for those who did "better or exceptionally well" at A Levels.
    I'm sure unis such as UCL, Imperial, Kings even Oxford have adjustment.
    I'm not fully sure about the requirements etc, and not really familiar with this path. But i've heard a lot about it. Maybe someone here can give you more detailed advice on adjustment. Sounds perfect for you
    He cannot look at adjustment as he did not meet the conditions of his firm offer

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh, that's a problem then. Sorry I didn't really have much knowledge about this system myself. I'm not going to uni this year, going to work with PwC

Well then, Edinburgh doesn't sound bad at all! It's a very reputable university. However, make sure whatever option you chose it's one that you are happy and content with. After all, this is your future and self investment.

ReputationRep:

Hey did you call up Cambridge and check they still won't let you in? My friend was in the same position as you last year and they let her in eventually as she did so well in her A Levels

ReputationRep:

Your chances applying from Edinburgh to Cambridge for post-grad will be perfectly good.

How would you feel if you re-applied and were unsuccessful, let alone missed your offer again? I wouldn't have said it was worth it. Edinburgh is a highly respected university and a worthy alternative to Cambridge.

(Original post by TheWaffle)
    Hey did you call up Cambridge and check they still won't let you in? My friend was in the same position as you last year and they let her in eventually as she did so well in her A Levels
    Unfortunately missing the STEP requirement for Maths is pretty crucial - Cambridge makes proportionately more offers for Maths because they expect more people to not meet the STEP conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Your chances applying from Edinburgh to Cambridge for post-grad will be perfectly good.

How would you feel if you re-applied and were unsuccessful, let alone missed your offer again? I wouldn't have said it was worth it. Edinburgh is a highly respected university and a worthy alternative to Cambridge.

Unfortunately missing the STEP requirement for Maths is pretty crucial - Cambridge makes proportionately more offers for Maths because they expect more people to not meet the STEP conditions.

Yeah true. But with my friend they made an exception so maybe they would with OP as well? I'd say it's worth a shot at least

ReputationRep:
    [/B]

Yeah true. But with my friend they made an exception so maybe they would with OP as well? I'd say it's worth a shot at least
    If he's already been turned down, they won't change it. If he was in the summer pool, ie still under consideration, his status on Track would not be showing 'unsuccessful'.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge are known to dislike students taking a gap year when applying for Maths because they feel that the lack of recent practice had a major negative impact when the student eventually arrives.

ReputationRep:
    You applied to Imperial for two different courses but didn't even insure them? If you're sure you don't want to go to Edinburgh, then take a year out. There's no point wasting your time if you aren't committed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Also, the three different subject choices sounds like you're undecided on what you actually want to do. So, a year out could help you decide.
    I'm interested in theoretical physics and I think all my degree choices were all fairly well suited for this. But you're right, I'm really not sure about how happy I'd be with Edinburgh

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    Check with Cambridge if they would even be interested in a retake STEP
    Do you think they may not give me another offer if I re applied and did well in the interview?

(Original post by HMAN123)
    I'm sure unis such as UCL, Imperial, Kings even Oxford have adjustment
    I rang up Imperial since they gave me the offer and he took down my details but hasn't contacted me since so I'm guessing that led nowhere

I did ring them but the STEP grades were too low

Really? That's a relief, I've found it really hard to guage how Edinburgh stands in terms of reputation and how much that would matte in the future.
    I know, this is one of my main worries, if nerves got to me the first time, I can't imagine how I feel if I'd been waiting for that day literally all year. Do you think I'll have a worse chance of getting offers from Cambridge and Imperial if I'm reapplying?

(Original post by ageshallnot)
    Cambridge are known to dislike students taking a gap year when applying for Maths because they feel that the lack of recent practice had a major negative impact when the student eventually arrives.
    I was thinking that might be different since I'm not deferring a year so I'll still have to have been perparing for the STEP all year

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they may not give me another offer if I re applied and did well in the interview?

I was thinking that might be different since I'm not deferring a year so I'll still have to have been perparing for the STEP all year
    I suggest you ask - preparing for STEP is not necessarily the amount of maths they would want studied

ReputationRep:
    If you go down this route, a couple of suggestions...

First read this thread in which a Cambridge admissions tutor answers questions on a range of issues, including 'the Maths gap year'.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2731996

He is opening another thread later this month so you could put your particular circumstances to him.

In addition, I think you would need to present a plan of how you intend to keep your Maths skills sharp - very sharp. I don't know but I have a feeling that 'revising for STEP' might not be enough given that they will have quite a few students who nailed their A-levels (like you) but who failed their STEP (ditto).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    You applied to Imperial for two different courses but didn't even insure them? If you're sure you don't want to go to Edinburgh, then take a year out. There's no point wasting your time if you aren't committed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Imperial Maths one was too close to Cambridge and it included STEP since I didn't do the MAT so it was too much risk (although on reflection I think they would have taken me anyway) and in the end I decided the Physics course had too many experiments which I dislike.

The problem is I'm not sure I don't want to go, and I have a habit of going from one opinion to the other. Before the STEP (when I thought I was on track for Cambridge) I was even thinking maybe I'd be happier at Edinburgh and of course now I'm going to Edinburgh, all I want is to go to Cambridge...

ReputationRep:
    The Imperial Maths one was too close to Cambridge and it included STEP since I didn't do the MAT so it was too much risk (although on reflection I think they would have taken me anyway) and in the end I decided the Physics course had too many experiments which I dislike.

The problem is I'm not sure I don't want to go, and I have a habit of going from one opinion to the other. Before the STEP (when I thought I was on track for Cambridge) I was even thinking maybe I'd be happier at Edinburgh and of course now I'm going to Edinburgh, all I want is to go to Cambridge...
    Try contacting Imperial again.

Funnily enough Edinburgh was my last choice among St Andrews and Glasgow (I wanted to leave my hometown) and I couldn't imagine coming here. But, it was all really in my head and I've loved it thus far and am in 3rd year now. Obviously, if your concerns are more so to do with academic prestige or whatever, it's different than my case, but I don't think that Edinburgh will impede on your future opportunities. That said, if you really want to go to Imperial, then try calling them up and emailing them - show them how much you want to go.

Or, go to Edinburgh or re-apply.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in theoretical physics and I think all my degree choices were all fairly well suited for this. But you're right, I'm really not sure about how happy I'd be with Edinburgh

I rang up Imperial since they gave me the offer and he took down my details but hasn't contacted me since so I'm guessing that led nowhere

I did ring them but the STEP grades were too low

Really? That's a relief, I've found it really hard to guage how Edinburgh stands in terms of reputation and how much that would matte in the future.

I know, this is one of my main worries, if nerves got to me the first time, I can't imagine how I feel if I'd been waiting for that day literally all year. Do you think I'll have a worse chance of getting offers from Cambridge and Imperial if I'm reapplying?

What were your STEP marks exactly. That would have some influence on how likely you would be to get an offer. People on here have said you need to do a lot of maths in a gapyear but i know of someone who was simply preparing for step in their gapyear and also someone who went abroad the whole year doing nothing (and they both got offers and are now in...one was unconditional) if you dont want to post your grades here feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    What were your STEP marks exactly. That would have some influence on how likely you would be to get an offer. People on here have said you need to do a lot of maths in a gapyear but i know of someone who was simply preparing for step in their gapyear and also someone who went abroad the whole year doing nothing (and they both got offers and are now in...one was unconditional) if you dont want to post your grades here feel free to PM me
    Sure, 3 in STEP II and 2 in STEP III. Both of them fairly mid level

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.