Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PwC High Apprenticeship London Audit and Assurance- Applied to all Big 4 exc KPMG watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm usually the type of guy that just googles and reads threads on TSR and other websites. Never really had to make an account till now

Here's my scenario: I'm starting the Higher Apprenticeship with PwC in Sep 14 and just got my A-level results (3Bs, which i'm frustrated about but nevermind). I have passed pre-employment scans so my position is confirmed.
    I will be working at the biggest firm for financial services and auditing massive clients, whilst studying towards my professional qualification. In two years I will be studying towards a audit practice level 4 Diploma and complete the CFAB (Certificate in Finance And Business). Furthermore, after this I will be able to go and complete the "mighty" ACA.

Now, I am happy with my position. I feel it's a great opportunity and the salary is nice.... to say the least
    However, the one thing i can't get out of my head- "You won't have a degree".
    Can someone please explain the opportunity cost and whether it is worth sacrificing a degree for. Also, the pay rise per year is quite high, although i am not sure. Rule by thumb is (at a big 4) in 3 years I will be on double what I am now... for the age of 21 that will be crazy (excluding bonus!).

I am also here to offer advice. Anyone that feels a career in financial services is for them and wants to avoid 60k debt plus get unbelievable experience and opportunity ask away. I applied to all the big 4 exc KPMG.
    Got offers but accepted PwC. But I warn you this: This is not for drop outs or a second route for those who did not do well. Yes, the entry requirements are 280 Ucas points and B in GCSE maths and eng lang, but the entry process is grueling and you fail at once competency you're out. So take it from me- This is for those that are determined.

Thanks for reading this fat post. I'm here to help and also any advice comments will be nice. I guess just need reassuring.. the internet can be a cruel place of doubts and deception:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm joining Deloitte on their school leaver scheme next Thursday. I don't think the salary doubles in three years. I think that's the 'rule' if your a graduate and qualify in 3 years. For us, I believe the salary will double by the end of the 5 years (when you qualify). Even still, £40,000 isn't bad for a 23 year old.

I was the same as you, I applied to all the Big 4 except KPMG. I was seriously considering applying to KPMG about a month ago because I was concerned by the lack of degree however, I was advised to plough on with Deloitte by a few people who said there isn't really much point in doing a degree in Accountancy as the CA qualification supersedes this in the world of accounting and outside accounting, the accounting degree isn't that useful plus Deloitte has the football clients and you qualify a year earlier. Even still, I'd like to have the option of a degree when I've finished just in case I want a career change. I'm thinking of emailing uni's to ask about entry on to their MBA programmes. I know some of them let you in without an undergraduate degree but with relevant experience and others allow you in with equivalent qualifications. CA + MBA would be better (in my opinion) than CA + Bsc Accountancy (KMPG) so I wouldn't worry too much about not having a degree at the moment. You also get more work experience in the 5 years at Pwc, Deloitte and EY than you do in the 6 with KPMG.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toejoeson)
    Hi,

I'm joining Deloitte on their school leaver scheme next Thursday. I don't think the salary doubles in three years. I think that's the 'rule' if your a graduate and qualify in 3 years. For us, I believe the salary will double by the end of the 5 years (when you qualify). Even still, £40,000 isn't bad for a 23 year old.

I was the same as you, I applied to all the Big 4 except KPMG. I was seriously considering applying to KPMG about a month ago because I was concerned by the lack of degree however, I was advised to plough on with Deloitte by a few people who said there isn't really much point in doing a degree in Accountancy as the CA qualification supersedes this in the world of accounting and outside accounting, the accounting degree isn't that useful plus Deloitte has the football clients and you qualify a year earlier. Even still, I'd like to have the option of a degree when I've finished just in case I want a career change. I'm thinking of emailing uni's to ask about entry on to their MBA programmes. I know some of them let you in without an undergraduate degree but with relevant experience and others allow you in with equivalent qualifications. CA + MBA would be better (in my opinion) than CA + Bsc Accountancy (KMPG) so I wouldn't worry too much about not having a degree at the moment. You also get more work experience in the 5 years at Pwc, Deloitte and EY than you do in the 6 with KPMG.
    Thanks a lot. I see! Congratulations for landing Deloitte.. I was quite torn between the two I guess not a huge difference anyway.

Yes, the doubling salary in 4-5 years seems more appropriate, and taking into account I am eligible for a "discretionary" bonus per year
    The salary does still increase considerably per year, and especially after each exam. I guess a degree option isn't completely out of the spectrum in the future. I like the idea you said about contacting uni's for an MBA course
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMAN123)
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm usually the type of guy that just googles and reads threads on TSR and other websites. Never really had to make an account till now

Here's my scenario: I'm starting the Higher Apprenticeship with PwC in Sep 14 and just got my A-level results (3Bs, which i'm frustrated about but nevermind). I have passed pre-employment scans so my position is confirmed.
    I will be working at the biggest firm for financial services and auditing massive clients, whilst studying towards my professional qualification. In two years I will be studying towards a audit practice level 4 Diploma and complete the CFAB (Certificate in Finance And Business). Furthermore, after this I will be able to go and complete the "mighty" ACA.

Now, I am happy with my position. I feel it's a great opportunity and the salary is nice.... to say the least
    However, the one thing i can't get out of my head- "You won't have a degree".
    Can someone please explain the opportunity cost and whether it is worth sacrificing a degree for. Also, the pay rise per year is quite high, although i am not sure. Rule by thumb is (at a big 4) in 3 years I will be on double what I am now... for the age of 21 that will be crazy (excluding bonus!).

I am also here to offer advice. Anyone that feels a career in financial services is for them and wants to avoid 60k debt plus get unbelievable experience and opportunity ask away. I applied to all the big 4 exc KPMG.
    Got offers but accepted PwC. But I warn you this: This is not for drop outs or a second route for those who did not do well. Yes, the entry requirements are 280 Ucas points and B in GCSE maths and eng lang, but the entry process is grueling and you fail at once competency you're out. So take it from me- This is for those that are determined.

Thanks for reading this fat post. I'm here to help and also any advice comments will be nice. I guess just need reassuring.. the internet can be a cruel place of doubts and deception:eek3:
    Well done for securing your Higher Apprenticeship with PwC - it's quite an achievement! What made you choose between PwC and the other three offers?

I am also thinking about applying to the big 4, plus BDO, Baker Tilly and Grant Thorton for 2015. How did you revise for the online tests? Also, do you remember when PwC opened the application process for the apprenticeships?

Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.