Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    releaseter!

heh heh, took me ages to remember that name for a game we used to play
    :confused: Never heard of that, what did you have to do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MattG)
    releaseter!

heh heh, took me ages to remember that name for a game we used to play
    What was that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    :confused: Never heard of that, what did you have to do?
    you had one person "on it" and people would go and hide. the people hiding would have to get too and touch a certain point (we used a pole) before the person on it could run and touch you. anyone caught has to stand by the pole, then when someone touches the pole without being cuaght everyone caught beforehand is rereleased

classic game:cool:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MattG)
    you had one person "on it" and people would go and hide. the people hiding would have to get too and touch a certain point (we used a pole) before the person on it could run and touch you. anyone caught has to stand by the pole, then when someone touches the pole without being cuaght everyone caught beforehand is rereleased

Sounds a bit like how we used to play hide and seek - except the first person caught would end the game ("all in all in mickey mouse is callin") and be the next it.

Although I'm sure we didn't use the word it.

ReputationRep:
    We used to play Power Rangers, I was the Pink Ranger.

ReputationRep:
    My school had the entirely original game called "Wangers." No kidding. Though at the time I don't think we were aware of the very similar swear word.

That and linky, which sounds a lot like MattG's releasester game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    My school had the entirely original game called "Wangers." No kidding. Though at the time I don't think we were aware of the very similar swear word.

That and linky, which sounds a lot like MattG's releasester game.
    What did you have to do to play Wangers? (And try to resist the temptation to be rude!!)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Helenia]My school had the entirely original game called "Wangers." No kidding. Though at the time I don't think we were aware of the very similar swear word.
    [QUOTE]

I don't think it's a swear word..its often true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    What did you have to do to play Wangers? (And try to resist the temptation to be rude!!)
    I never played - it was mostly a boy's game, but the name has always stuck with me. As far as I can tell, it seemed to involve throwing (wanging) a tennis ball from one end of the playground to the other, and if someone didn't catch it, then the other team got a point. It also seemed to have lots of shouting, including the obvious "wangerrrrrr!!!!" and chanting "T-I-M-E..." ad nauseam if someone was taking a long time to throw.

Oh, and there was Kiss, Cuddle or torture - I was good at that one!

ReputationRep:
    We had dead serious conker leagues and a Lord of the rings game which was great. There was also a fad with 'pogs' at one stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    We had dead serious conker leagues and a Lord of the rings game which was great. There was also a fad with 'pogs' at one stage.
    Conkers were banned at my primary school because they made too much mess. We had an absolutely fantastic conker tree at my secondary school, was absolutely massive, but they cut all the branches off it in my final year because they were overhanging the path and "might be a danger to someone if branches fell off." Plus all the townies would come in and steal the conkers and have fights with the boys, which was another reason, I reckon.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    It was a 30 minute bus ride to the nearest place with conker trees...

ReputationRep:
    Conkers were banned at my primary school because they made too much mess. We had an absolutely fantastic conker tree at my secondary school, was absolutely massive, but they cut all the branches off it in my final year because they were overhanging the path and "might be a danger to someone if branches fell off." Plus all the townies would come in and steal the conkers and have fights with the boys, which was another reason, I reckon.
    Slightly different at our school then, the conker tournament was organised by the school! God, it was way too serious when I look back, everyone was way too competitive. The same with pogs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Slightly different at our school then, the conker tournament was organised by the school! God, it was way too serious when I look back, everyone was way too competitive. The same with pogs.
    Ah, pogs! What were the big hardcore ones called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)

thats forty-forty . When the person on spots someone, they have to touch the pole and say "forty-forty i see <whoever>" and when you get to the pole without being caught you say "forty-forty i save all"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)

i think i know that game.... we called it 40-40.

the person who was 'it' would try and spot people hiding, but only after counting to 40. and if he/she shouted '40-40 I SEE (YOUR NAME) HIDING IN (WHERE YOU ARE HIDING)' correctly, you had to make a dash for that point before he/she could touch you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    thats forty-forty . When the person on spots someone, they have to touch the pole and say "forty-forty i see <whoever>" and when you get to the pole without being caught you say "forty-forty i save all"
    lol.... i was beaten by seconds

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and there was Kiss, Cuddle or torture - I was good at that one!
    torture! ours was kiss cuddle or both

you version sounds a bit kinky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Ah, pogs! What were the big hardcore ones called?
    I think it was kini's!? Or something of that ilk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    lol.... i was beaten by seconds
    im quicker on the draw then jessie james

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.