Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It
    Family It, where if you're caught, both of you are 'it' instead of it passing on. it carries on til one person is left.
    Forty Forty It
    Polo (Not the horse thing)
    Red Letter
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    It was strange, kind of a sunken play area with a 6 foot wall topped by 6 foot spiked railings at street level. I think it was to keep us in. It also had a comedy outdoor loo which was a bit aromatic to say the least.
    We had a "haunted" loo and staircase (the crap you believe when you're a kid).

I've thought of another game we used to play: Handstand competitions...at one point they were banned in the yard so we had to have them in the girls toilets (surprisingly clean). It was the proudest day of my life when I beat Carla Ebdon (she was in class 7 and the best at handstands and I was in class 4).

ReputationRep:
    Merlin Premiership stickers were all the rage at my school!

We went through each other's stickers; swap, swap, need, swap..........

ReputationRep:
    once we tried to play cops and robbers, but im not sure we knew the rules as it was just british bulldog with a prison which you went to if you were caught
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My primary school although mixed had separate boys' and girls' yards. Only very rarely did the opportunity to share a yard arise and so naturally games of 'kiss chase' ensued at those moments.
    My primary school had "Girls" and "Boys" carved above the two seperate doors but they'd long since turned the smaller Girls section into the infants/nursery and the bigger (with upstairs classrooms) Boys section into the juniors/big hall/library. The loos were in the middle (the haunted loos were halfway down the stairs on the side of the juniors furthest from the infants - only class 7 were allowed to use those stairs :confused: ) with the dinner hall running at right angles between the two sections and splitting up the two playgrounds (although the yards were longer than the dinner hall so there was still a good bit of wall between them).

The junior yard had the outdoor toilet remnants, the infants had the nursery garden (it had grass(!)), the bike sheds (proper bike sheds) and the fire escape from the dinner hall which was home to many a game of "I'm the king of the castle".

ReputationRep:
    i remember the dinner ladies always telling us to eat our sandwiches first my school had 3 outside hut-like buildings for 3 classes, one year we had to evacuate them because there were gale force winds and there was fear of the huts blowing away :rolleyes: so our class went to the TV room in the main building to watch a programme on the ilse of sky lol

sadly both my primary school and secondary school buildings have beem demolished and rebuilt all that remains is part of the main primary school building...

ReputationRep:
    red rover

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    red rover
    what was that??? ive never heard it before
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    That sounds almost identical to my place. I bet it was built around 1900. Those 'girls' and 'boys' carvings bring back memories!

Unfortunately we didn't have any haunted loos, only normal ones. Although it had two halls which were also used for PE and dinner halls, one for proper dinners and one for packed lunches. Oddly, this was the class divide of the school, all the 'posh' kids always seemed to bring packed lunches whereas the scallywags had (probably free) school dinners. They always smelled awful and were dispensed by wart-faced fat women in scruffy aprons.
    Our school dinners were cooked at another school and brought in already on plates :gag:

When they ran out of milk to give us to drink we'd often be given milky coffee instead.

We *had* to have school dinners until juniors (although I got away with going home for dinner for 2 years) and then we could choose.

The dinner hall was absolute bedlam - the noise levels just blew you away.

Packed lunches were all eaten at the back of the hall, hot meals nearer the main building.

Juniors and infants ate seperately (we couldn't all fit in at once) and we used to get "picked" for tables by the headmaster every day with one person from class 7 on each table who was "monitor" and had to keep control. I always ended up with the naughty kids and used to bribe them into behaving by promising to tell Mr Billing (the headmaster, later aquitted of child molesting and quite right too) that they'd been good.

Our big hall was used for assemblies, picking tables for dinner and PE. On monday we'd get on a bus and travel 5 miles to the nearest sports field, on tuesdays we went swimming, on wednesdays we had PE using mats in the big hall, thursdays we had PE in the big hall but we got to use "the apparatus" (vaulting boxes, A frames, benches etc) and on friday we'd play rounders or cricket outside.

The infants had a carpetted hall which was much smaller than the big hall.

I really enjoyed primary school....secondary was so sh*t in comparison it isn't even funny (probably because only 2 people from my primary school went to my secondary school while everyone else had come in from feeder schools and knew everyone else)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    what was that??? ive never heard it before
    its where there are two teams of ppl, all people hold hands...and then one team yells..red rover red rover we call...(sum1 of the opposite team) over!! if they can run and get through the joined hands then they go back to their own team otherwise they join the other team!!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Same here, all the nice old buildings have gone and only memories remain, to be replaced by lifeless ultra modern red-brick buildings with pantiles on the roof and red handrails all over the place, I bet they don't build character like the old smelly Victorian buildings with their peeling paint, dodgy heating systems and asbestos in the roof!
    And the massive windows
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Same here, all the nice old buildings have gone and only memories remain, to be replaced by lifeless ultra modern red-brick buildings with pantiles on the roof and red handrails all over the place, I bet they don't build character like the old smelly Victorian buildings with their peeling paint, dodgy heating systems and asbestos in the roof!
    Mine's still there: http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...306&scale=5000

Can't find any online pictures though....I must go and take a fwe next time I'm up in Liverpool....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Mine's still there: http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...306&scale=5000

Can't find any online pictures though....I must go and take a fwe next time I'm up in Liverpool....
    wat was ur school called?

ReputationRep:
    i remember the first days of secondary school, it was all so big and scary. Most of my mates from primary school went to the same secondary as me which was good
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kokopops)
    wat was ur school called?
    Linacre Country Primary School
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...l/343_2008.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I loved Farmer Farmer, Off-ground Tig, Bubblegum/Stuck in the Mud, and What's the Time Mr. Wolf. What games did you used to play at primary school?
    piggie in the middle, snakes and ladders, and falling over eachother(created by ourselves), chasing, Barbie dolls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Our school dinners were cooked at another school and brought in already on plates :gag:

When they ran out of milk to give us to drink we'd often be given milky coffee instead.

We *had* to have school dinners until juniors (although I got away with going home for dinner for 2 years) and then we could choose.

The dinner hall was absolute bedlam - the noise levels just blew you away.

Packed lunches were all eaten at the back of the hall, hot meals nearer the main building.
    At our school, at the end of play time they'd ring a bell and we had to line up - one line for boys, the other for girls (I think they did that for each year, can't remember). The quietest line went to dinner first.. if we weren't quiet, this evil dinner lady called Maria threatened to make us go boy-girl-boy-girl. Likewise, we ate packed lunches at the back of the hall (that was only like 2 or 3 rows) and the rest of it was for school dinners. I think we were allowed to have packed lunches if we wanted, cos I think I only ever had 1 school dinner, lol.

I really enjoyed primary school....secondary was so sh*t in comparison it isn't even funny (probably because only 2 people from my primary school went to my secondary school while everyone else had come in from feeder schools and knew everyone else)
    Yay, wasn't just me then.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Milk! We used to get a little bottle to drink at 'play time' with a red straw poked through the top. I stopped drinking it after they were left next to a radiator all morning and I gagged on the curdling warm dairy goodness contained therein.
    Ahhh that takes me back

The felt pictures on the back of the piano
    The hymn books that were falling to pieces
    The coat racks with your name above your hook
    The corderoy carpet that wrecked your knees
    The desks with all sorts of crap in them
    Playing "who's got the sharpest pencil" (I've still got the scars)
    The old inkpot holes in the desk

• Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Nylex)
    At our school, at the end of play time they'd ring a bell
    We had a whistle

The first meant "stop what you're doing"
    The second meant "start lingin up" (two lines for each class one boys one girls...I was particularly offended when I was in class three with short hair and a massive hand-me-down duffle coat on and one of the dinner ladies accused me of being a boy and when she was taking us in boy-girl-boy-girl*)
    The third meant "shut the f**k up"

"Please miss can I go the toilet?"

*everything at our school was boy girl boy girl....probably why all my best mates from primary school were boys....I was *always* being told off for fighting with Brian Wardle and giggling with David Smith (and kissing David M but that was a different matter....)

ReputationRep:
    I was always the bone. Little me screaming from the inside "pat the bone, not hit"

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.