The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
piginapoke
Lethal! I knocked myself out dodging under a row of those.

Must have been posh there, our floors were all wooden.

With graffitti etched into it from the 1950s.

I had the webbing between my fingers 'pierced' with a pencil. I was amazed that it didn't hurt one bit, but the girlie that did it got bang into trouble!

Always to be found stuffed with all manner of junk.

Sitting cross-legged on a dusty floor listening to a crap story.
Getting to take the class pets (hamsters) home at half term.
Bringing in games on the last day of term (hungry hippos).
Doing PE in your underwear.
Scary secretary who doubled as a nurse putting witchhazel sadistically on my wounds.

and dont forget the rubber plimsoles!!! lol
piginapoke
Lethal! I knocked myself out dodging under a row of those.

Must have been posh there, our floors were all wooden.

The infants hall and a corner of the infant class rooms was carpetted with this stuff...it was *far* from posh

With graffitti etched into it from the 1950s.

I had the webbing between my fingers 'pierced' with a pencil. I was amazed that it didn't hurt one bit, but the girlie that did it got bang into trouble!

I have a lead still beneath the skin of my left palm (rght in the middle).

Always to be found stuffed with all manner of junk.

Sitting cross-legged on a dusty floor listening to a crap story.
Getting to take the class pets (hamsters) home at half term.

Posh school :tongue: we didn't have pets
Bringing in games on the last day of term (hungry hippos).
Doing PE in your underwear.

And getting changed in your classroom (boys and girls together....high incentive not to forget your vest)
Scary secretary who doubled as a nurse putting witchhazel sadistically on my wounds.

We had a proper school nurse (Mrs Ryan) who was lovely - and very understanding if you ever "had an accident" and needed some clean clothes to wear home....she also dished out TCP and plasters to grazed knees and nearly had a heart attack when I turned up one morning with an egg on my heag that was enormous and that I had no memory of getting (she drove me to A & E for a head xray she was so worried). She was also lovely the day I collapsed (in class 2 (Mrs Lynette (cow) and Mrs Campilla substitute (wonderful))).
Reply 102
I used to play:
Skipping, and jumping over the rope and limbo with it as well.
40:40
Mother may I and What's the time Mr Wolf?
this game where you have 2 teams. You join handsand call someone over to try and break the link b/w 2 people,
Reply 103
Heh, we used to play the usual in primary school. The real fun was in secondary school. Ahhh...I think it should be described in a timeline,

Wrestling was common in the earlier days, right from year 7, and still happens now though very rarely. Boxing was a bit of rare treat, but it always pulled in the crowds. It had its humble beginnings in the school toilets in Year 9, before it went out into the much more open and dangerous realm of the field in year 10. Lots of people played rock paper scissors, the one that lost got thrown in a bush. We had this game where lots of people throw coins at a wall, closest one wins all the coins. This game became phenomenally popular, as people started throwing pound coins, and started taking away up to twenty a day.

And finally, the three brutal games: Poling, The Gauntlet and Bumholio.
Poling is when a load of lads get grab a guy, lift him up, prise his legs apart and run him towards a tree, or a pole. Reached maximum popularity in Year 9, before someon's balls had allegedly popped. This thankfully turned out to be a crisp packet.

This practise gave way to another slightly less brutal one in year 10. called bumholio, Drum sticks, and spoon handles were..ahem. rammed up people's asses. It was like "it", but with more pain

And then, the gauntlet. Basically, all the lads lined up in two lines facing each other, about two meters apart in the cloackrooms. They all had their bags with them. You had to run between the two lines, avoiding all the bags that were thrown at you, and make it safely to the other side. Now that, was one brutal game.

Latest

Trending

Trending