Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaving to go to uni...not sure bout relationships Watch

I have been accepted to go to newcastle university, she got in to UCL. thats about a 5-6 hour drive, £60 flight or 4 hour train ride.
    she wants to try and give the long distance thing a go and i want to agree but iv heard from everyone that it doesnt work and this is putting me off
    because it is so far i dont really want to be traveling loads, even if it is to see her. i think seeing eachother once every few months isnt much of a relationship.

any advice???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been accepted to go to newcastle university, she got in to UCL. thats about a 5-6 hour drive, £60 flight or 4 hour train ride.
    she wants to try and give the long distance thing a go and i want to agree but iv heard from everyone that it doesnt work and this is putting me off
    because it is so far i dont really want to be traveling loads, even if it is to see her. i think seeing eachother once every few months isnt much of a relationship.

any advice???
    Honestly, university really does change people. She and yourself for that matter will be entering into new experiences and new friends. Add to this the fact you're going to two different unis at opposite ends of the country!

If you really want to stay together the best advice I can give is to have both of you taking it in turns to travel to see each other i.e. she travels up to Newcastle and then a few weeks later you travel down to London to see her. You can always Skype, Snapchat and Whatsapp as well.

ReputationRep:
    You won't last long if you're both not 100% in it.
    I'm in the same position as you and we decided on Friday that we would be in an open relationship but when uni comes we'll be separated.

ReputationRep:
    My GF is quite overly attached . Luckily for her I am staying in London working with PwC for the next few years and she is going to a London uni. She was pretty confident I would get the post in London xD
    However, she did say if we end up moving away she wants to give it a try.

My advice to you is to see where you are in the relationship stage. i.e. How strong is your relationship? How much do you mean to each other? The fact you are saying you aren't willing to pay that much or travel long to see her is already ringing alarm bells.
    So if that's the case then there's no point prolonging the inevitable. Your girl seems genuine in wanting to stay with you. I advice you sit and talk with her and tell her it's for the best and be as gentle as you can. If you two are still single in 3 years time and are looking to be happy, then you can always give it another try.

On the other hand, if you thinks she means a lot to you. And you have been together for long and you can keep it going then, by all means give it a try. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't and both of you will understand. At the end of the day, you're both 18 (i think xD). So you have a bright futures ahead of you, regardless

i dont want to throw away what we had, we've been together well over a year now and so she does mean alot.

its just a hard situation tbh, i think we need to sit down and discuss it properly before too much happens...

ReputationRep:
    LDR's are possible, as long as you're both committed. Do you want to screw around? Do you think you'll find a better partner at uni? Do you think your relationship is long term and will last? If the answers are not no,no and yes then don't bother.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.