Anxiety taking over

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have struggled with depression and anxiety in the past but thought that this year I have really improved...enough to come off medication.

However, my anxiety keeps creeping in. I had to have a HIV blood test as standard for my new job and even though I have never been worried about HIV before, whilst waiting for the results I have now convinced myself that the results will come back positive. It's all I can think about all the time, it's consuming every waking thought and making it terribly difficult to concentrate on anything. I have an exam soon and a coursework deadline and I just cannot work on those at all as my anxiety is really taking over. All I keep thinking is that I have it and that I deserve it and that my life is over. It's totally irrational but I'm really struggling to keep my anxiety under control. I even think that the only time it will let up is when I'm asleep but now I just have dreams that I've got HIV.

I really need some advice, these next two weeks waiting for the results will be agony.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have struggled with depression and anxiety in the past but thought that this year I have really improved...enough to come off medication.

However, my anxiety keeps creeping in. I had to have a HIV blood test as standard for my new job and even though I have never been worried about HIV before, whilst waiting for the results I have now convinced myself that the results will come back positive. It's all I can think about all the time, it's consuming every waking thought and making it terribly difficult to concentrate on anything. I have an exam soon and a coursework deadline and I just cannot work on those at all as my anxiety is really taking over. All I keep thinking is that I have it and that I deserve it and that my life is over. It's totally irrational but I'm really struggling to keep my anxiety under control. I even think that the only time it will let up is when I'm asleep but now I just have dreams that I've got HIV.

I really need some advice, these next two weeks waiting for the results will be agony.
:hugs: It'll be ok.

You can't just stop thinking about it. However you can come to accept it. The test for HIV has been done. Nothing you can do to change the outcome.

Drop me a PM if you want to get anything or your chest.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 8472)
:hugs: It'll be ok.

You can't just stop thinking about it. However you can come to accept it. The test for HIV has been done. Nothing you can do to change the outcome.

Drop me a PM if you want to get anything or your chest.
Thank you. I think i'm going to get a rapid HIV test tomorrow just to put my mind at rest as it's really affecting my life thinking about it and the wait is just too long.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you. I think i'm going to get a rapid HIV test tomorrow just to put my mind at rest as it's really affecting my life thinking about it and the wait is just too long.
I wish you luck with it. The offer still stands and will always do. Let me knows if you need any advice, opinions or comforting. :yes:
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 8472)
I wish you luck with it. The offer still stands and will always do. Let me knows if you need any advice, opinions or comforting. :yes:
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

What are the chances of a white girl having unprotected sex with a white boy (boyfriend who told me he had been tested and was clean and then lied to me about a bunch of stuff so we broke up) and contracting HIV? I'm so scared My anxiety is really taking over. Shall I start taking my fluoxetine again?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

What are the chances of a white girl having unprotected sex with a white boy (boyfriend who told me he had been tested and was clean and then lied to me about a bunch of stuff so we broke up) and contracting HIV? I'm so scared My anxiety is really taking over. Shall I start taking my fluoxetine again?
I'm not going to give advice to you about what tablets to take as well you should talk to your GP about it.

There is no chance to say about you having it. You either do or don't i'm afraid. I personally don't think you'll have it.
cresta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yoga and medications are the best alternatives for eliminating stress or anxiety.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago

Do you exercise? I try to, frequently, as it takes the edge off my anxiety without me having to use medication (I don't use any, but everybody's different, so if you feel you absolutely have to there's nothing wrong with that). I also try to eat a balanced diet, abstain from alcohol on the most part and I find regular therapy really helps me. I would definitely recommend that if it's within your means. I also worry about my health a lot but try and rationalise my concerns; like you said, the chances of you having HIV are slim and if your test does come back positive there are effective treatments available and I think for the most part it's very manageable these days.

I hope this helps, best of luck
blamethenargles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

The thing is with anxiety, there really is very little that people can say or do to help, unless they are an incredibly big influence. The best thing you can do is distract yourself, keep busy, and surround yourself with friends and family. If it's becoming a regular thing and a bigger problem it might be worth going back on your medication, just to be on the safe side.
kimothyjane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Hey anonymous, sending you hugs. Anxiety is awful and I feel your pain.

I hope this doesn't sound belittling but I've been doing a different type of therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and I wonder if you may be able to look at your HIV test wait slightly differently (as a long-term anxiety sufferer I understand this is a lot easier said than done!). One thing I've learnt is that yes, the extent of your anxiety is irrational, but the reasons behind it aren't and that puts some 'normality' back into it. I'm not sure if that makes sense (it's a new concept I'm trying to learn myself!) but if you take a step back, anyone would be slightly anxious about waiting for test results so don't give yourself a hard time if you find your anxiety increasing. Of course you're struggling with it to the extent you feel like you might want to go back on your medication, which is fine, but like others have suggested, go and have a chat with your GP. In the meantime, have you thought about practising some mindfulness?

If you ever need to offload, I know how awful anxiety can be so never hesitate to drop me a line. x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads