Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    At AS level I have taken English literature, Drama and media which in my results received 3 D's and philosophy recieving a U. In the recent Philosophy mock I had recieved an A and in my other subjects having targets at C/B. Unfortunately because of my results I cannot carry on Philosophy to second year and had wanted to drop media instead. I had considered re-taking the whole year unsure of whether I would improve my grades. I had also considered re-taking the year if I could do coursework based subjects as I had done a lot better in the coursework section, the exams had dropped my grades. I have now changed to do Film studies instead of media but only to do the AS. Im unsure whether I could stay an extra year to complete the full A-level. Otherwise will I only have two and a half A-levels as I would have 2 full A-levels with 2 AS. Many Universities want 3 or more A-levels have I taken the wrong decision by changing Media to Film studies to now do just an As? Do two AS's equate to one A-level?

ReputationRep:
    Two AS levels do not equate to one A level.

1 A level is what is achieved after taking the appropriate AS AND A2 exams of that course.

Which course would you like to do at university? I will try and answer accordingly
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    There are also courses that only require UCAS Points so if they're made up of AS levels too then it doesn't matter - but you may need some A2's in there also

A friend of mine has just got into Uni to do Psychology at Aberystwth like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiwami)
    Two AS levels dEnglish quate to one A level.

1 A level is what is achieved after taking the appropriate AS AND A2 exams of that course.

Which course would you like to do at university? I will try and answer accordingly
    Ok thanks, i would like to do combined English literature and Drama

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellaaaaah)
    At AS level I have taken English literature, Drama and media which in my results received 3 D's and philosophy recieving a U. In the recent Philosophy mock I had recieved an A and in my other subjects having targets at C/B. Unfortunately because of my results I cannot carry on Philosophy to second year and had wanted to drop media instead. I had considered re-taking the whole year unsure of whether I would improve my grades. I had also considered re-taking the year if I could do coursework based subjects as I had done a lot better in the coursework section, the exams had dropped my grades. I have now changed to do Film studies instead of media but only to do the AS. Im unsure whether I could stay an extra year to complete the full A-level. Otherwise will I only have two and a half A-levels as I would have 2 full A-levels with 2 AS. Many Universities want 3 or more A-levels have I taken the wrong decision by changing Media to Film studies to now do just an As? Do two AS's equate to one A-level?
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellaaaaah)
    Ok thanks, i would like to do combined English literature and Drama
    That sounds like a good course.

I would not retake the year. Not that it's a problem if you do, but you actually don't need to.

My advice would be for you to go onto A2 and retake some AS exams, work very intelligently and strategically for your A2 exams and achieve the best grades you can. It's very much possible.

Your grades are not as horrific as you think XD I did a lot worse than you and managed to get a place at university.

I would apply through UCAS with a strong personal statement, if you get offers then great! (It's very rare that you won't get offers)
    Worst comes to worse you might not receive offers for whatever bizarre reason. You can still perform well in A2 and get into University on the 14th of August or later.

But trust me, don't be afraid to apply to universities with higher grade requirements. With a strong PS and reference, they might still take you on! Drop Philosophy...Universities only care about 3 subjects anyway. Three A2 subjects. If you want, you can retake a philosophy exam to just get rid of the U grade.

(If any one has to retake the year, I'd advise them to retake the A2 year and not AS)

We overestimate what we can do in a day, and underestimate what we can do in a year. A year is a long time! You can do a lot, change a lot. And if you put in the right amount of effort, use appropriate resources and do enough research...those 3D's can become 3A's. It's possible.

If you want any help, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions. It seems very stressful now but stick at it and it'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.