The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninalouise258
Guys, I am freaking out. Could anyone advise on 5 year courses for grads? Not lazy, just my head is a scribble with scrolling through entry requirements pages. I am well versed in GEM. I have managed to scrape together the funds for the 5 year course so I am going to put two of each type down if it's more likely I could get a place on the 5 year. My credentials, in a nutshell, are;

AS levels BDD in maths, physics and graphic design (Sigh)
MPhys Astrophysics 2.1
PhD Medical Sciences (Cancer research, multidisciplinary, submitting thesis soon with the viva planned for spring 2016)
More than enough volunteering and shadowing
Starting my Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Cancer Imaging in December
UKCAT...tba tomorrow...ha! Last minute, because thesis and conference season. I don't think I will do amazingly, though.

I have looked into Chem and Bio A2 levels, which is doable...but not ideal as my Post Doc is in New York and they don't have test centres there.

How about four year courses? E.g Warwick, Barts, Kings etc
Is there anywhere at all which just has a list of last years ukcat / Gamsat cut offs for unis (or likely cut offs?) ?? :/ . Much appreciated xx
Any advice for 645 on ukcat pls. Worth applying or no?
Original post by Anonymous7654321
Any advice for 645 on ukcat pls. Worth applying or no?

Do you have the background to go for a course like Bristol; ie one that doesn't require an entry exam.
Original post by ninalouise258
I have my ukcat tomorrow afternoon so I guess I'm just worried it won't be high enough for 4 year courses :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw your post on your academic background, it was very familiar then realised we volunteered together :h:
Hello all!

I have a bit an issue; sat the UKCAT today and it didn't go well (620). I sat the GAMSAT but I'm not sure thats gone well either as I feel I messed up section 2. I have a 2.1 in biomed, extensive work experience and average A levels.

Should I just apply for GAMSAT unis? Retake my A levels to meet Bristols entry? (will they let me do it this cycle?) Not apply at all? Any help appreciated
Original post by xangelspawnx
Is there anywhere at all which just has a list of last years ukcat / Gamsat cut offs for unis (or likely cut offs?) ?? :/ . Much appreciated xx

My GAMSAT thread has a list of last years cut-offs, not that it really means much as they can change quite a bit.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3022525
Original post by saimasarwar
Hello, I did my UKCAT toady and got average 615 Band 1. I dont know where should I apply, I am graduate student with first class degree.

You'd have a good shot with Birmingham, since they want 1st class degree and don't use entrance exams. I think they look at A-levels though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Realistically, with a 2.i, is there much point in applying to Cambridge?
Any advice for average ukcat Score between 400 to 500.band 4. I did very badly .Bsc Human biology studied.Msc Applied Drug Discovery course im doing now .which ini i can apply.Please give advice do i want to apply next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does anyone know the kind of UKCAT scores that Newcastle look for? (I got 670 and I'm not sure if it's worth applying to UKCAT places?!) :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there,

Looking for some advice on where to apply ...

5A's and B Scottish Highers
A and C Advanced Higher
685 average ukcat - 2740 total score
In final year studying anatomy and predicted a 2.1

If anyone could make some suggestions about graduate courses and 5 year courses would be much appreciated!
Original post by 13yilde
Does anyone know the kind of UKCAT scores that Newcastle look for? (I got 680 and I'm not sure if it's worth applying to UKCAT places?!) :smile:

I don't know what it was last year, but I seem to recall it being ca. 770 the year before that. Sorry :/
Original post by Alexdaman93
I don't know what it was last year, but I seem to recall it being ca. 770 the year before that. Sorry :/

Oh wow okay fair enough haha! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 2454
I just sat my ukcat and got

VR:700
QR:650
AR:830
DA:600 (:angry:)
B1

Which averages me at 695. Is it worth applying to Warwick?

I got 712.5 last year and got accepted into Warwick and Barts but had to decline for family and finical reasons. Had a lot of personal things going on the last few months and working over full time hours so really didn't have the time to prepare so I'm pretty gutted.
Original post by 13yilde
Oh wow okay fair enough haha! Thanks for your help :smile:

Admittedly, 2 years ago was before the rescale, so doubt it will be that high again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaccyA

Which averages me at 695. Is it worth applying to Warwick?

You might sneak in Warwick's cutoff. Definitely worth the risk when you're that close to the cutoff.
Original post by Clunkles
Admittedly, 2 years ago was before the rescale, so doubt it will be that high again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

True - and now I think about it I was 712.5 last year, which was below the cut off.
Reply 2458
Anyone here picking unis that don't look at A levels, on the basis you have a 2.1 or above in a science related degree?

Or am I the only ?! :erm:
Reply 2459
Original post by B1525
Medify subscription free to a good home, first come first serve!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did anyone take this offer up yet?! If not, I have a lovely home welcome to Medify!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending