The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blackraven
can someone else confirm this? I tried to do it and it wasn't possible. Plus, the last time I applied to medical school, I didn't have to do it

You don't have to do it. You enter your choices on the UKCAT website and they take care of it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninalouise258
Does anyone know how to enter MPhys Astrophysics on UCAS? Or what I should put for my PhD which is finished as far as being at university is concerned (I now have a post doc) but I'm redrafting and handing in before Christmas. Graduation won't be til next year (if I pass).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't put it in as complete - you don't have the PhD until you've graduated.
Ive offically given up hope guys. Kings want 720 or they said dont both to me. Newcastle also emailed me saying without 730 i wont be conpetivie.

Then southamptons admisiions officer told ne to not waste my applivation as i had not got 730.

I feel like ive been shot three times. All my hopes lie on one uni now :frown:
Original post by Yakisoba123
In the nicest way possible.. you will be rejected, by postgrad they mean have done a degree in a science subject first, like biomedical science or biology or chemistry etc, not just any random subject. I.E- Business. sorry

sorry but that's not correct. Lots of uni's accept any degree topic including Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton. There are plenty of others I just cba to look them up as it is not relevant to me (I have a science degree)
Original post by ZKay
Thank you.
I did terrible compared to last year! I knew it wasn't going to go well due to the big mess up. But my average dropped by 85! :/

Can you tell this to the universities? That those organising your UKCAT messed up and as a result, it affected your result?

Original post by JenniB22
Honesty, I don't think your UKCAT will be high enough for southampton or Newcastle, since they literally just rank all applicants on that basis and invite the top scorers- your otherwise excellent academics wouldn't help you.Have you thought about Bristol? Or Birmingham? Both look highly on good academics (I think they will consider a high 2.1 although they prefer a 1st)Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!! For UKCAT unis, I've decided to go for Barts, King's and Bristol!
Original post by nickname_esco
Ive offically given up hope guys. Kings want 720 or they said dont both to me. Newcastle also emailed me saying without 730 i wont be conpetivie.

Then southamptons admisiions officer told ne to not waste my applivation as i had not got 730.

When did King's tell you this? :frown:
Original post by neuronerd
sorry but that's not correct. Lots of uni's accept any degree topic including Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton. There are plenty of others I just cba to look them up as it is not relevant to me (I have a science degree)

100% this, warwick is another, and business has lots of transferrable skills: organisation, time management, working under pressure, conflict resolution
Also,

How do I add my university degree on UCAS... is it the same as adding A-levels? In the search box I typed in Master of Science and it came up with Degree (UK Masters). Is that okay? And I am not sure what to put in the Awarding Organisation section. Sorry for the silly questions!
Also, do I have to put down every single module I did? Cheers!
Original post by megan_notfox
Also,

How do I add my university degree on UCAS... is it the same as adding A-levels? In the search box I typed in Master of Science and it came up with Degree (UK Masters). Is that okay? And I am not sure what to put in the Awarding Organisation section. Sorry for the silly questions!
Also, do I have to put down every single module I did? Cheers!

I think mine just said degree, i put the uni as awarding organisation, ididnt put modules but some people have
Reply 2509
Heya! :smile:

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether it is a bad thing to say negative things about yourself in the personal statement? I don't mean really bad things, but I wanted to mention that I am going to undertake a masters in neuroscience, where I will work with brain tissue and hope to overcome my reluctance to work with cadavers (in a more elegant way :biggrin:).

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by cyftii

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows whether it is a bad thing to say negative things about yourself in the personal statement? I don't mean really bad things, but I wanted to mention that I am going to undertake a masters in neuroscience, where I will work with brain tissue and hope to overcome my reluctance to work with cadavers (in a more elegant way :biggrin:).

I don't think that's really a negative but more a problem that you have identified and are working to resolve.
Original post by cyftii

Better to say "in which I will gain experience in working with cadavers" or something rather than putting yourself down :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2512
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 2513
Hi everyone, i feel like the question i want to ask has already been asked but there's so many posts i don't want to do that, so sorry if this has already been asked:

For the oxford application a supplementary statement is required, do we just hand in our personal statement that we have on UCAS or is this statement specific for oxford, i know it says mention your name and a101, but what else? Because my personal statement is suited for oxford but it doesn't directly apply to them, as i will be using the same statement for other uni's. So i was wondering what is the consortium on this?
Original post by mind
Hi everyone, i feel like the question i want to ask has already been asked but there's so many posts i don't want to do that, so sorry if this has already been asked:

For the oxford application a supplementary statement is required, do we just hand in our personal statement that we have on UCAS or is this statement specific for oxford, i know it says mention your name and a101, but what else? Because my personal statement is suited for oxford but it doesn't directly apply to them, as i will be using the same statement for other uni's. So i was wondering what is the consortium on this?

I used my ucas one as a base and edited it to say what it was in particular that made me apply to Oxford. don't forget all your references must be sent in before 15th Oct!
Original post by pharma21
Does any one know if Glasgow look at ukcat a lot or are they more lenient?Also do they prefer Scottish applicants over English? Thinking of putting their five year course down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I rang Glasgow Monday to see if my degree meant I didn't need a levels (which thankfully it does). I also asked about the ukcat. Last year the lowest successful applicant got 2630. I got 2600 this year and she said that might be enough depending on other peoples scores.
Original post by nickname_esco

I'm not convinced by this - how can they possibly know until everyone has applied? If you got emails from them, are you sure you didn't misinterpret it?
Reply 2517
Original post by vikingkermit
I rang Glasgow Monday to see if my degree meant I didn't need a levels (which thankfully it does). I also asked about the ukcat. Last year the lowest successful applicant got 2630. I got 2600 this year and she said that might be enough depending on other peoples scores.

Sorry but what is your degree? I am interested because I graduated from GU with Psychology and they were like oh no, Psychology is not a science, you need A levels :biggrin: It was a painful thing to hear :biggrin:
Original post by cyftii
Sorry but what is your degree? I am interested because I graduated from GU with Psychology and they were like oh no, Psychology is not a science, you need A levels :biggrin: It was a painful thing to hear :biggrin:

Adult Nursing, the stipulation is that your 1st degree needs to have enough chemistry involved in it. :-/
Hi, can anyone suggest another uni to try. I'm going to apply to Keele, Leicester and Glasgow. (All 5 year) Not sure where else to apply, are there any 4 year courses that I might stand a chance with?
I got 2600 on the UKCAT breakdown,
I've got a 2:1 honours degree in Adult Nursing and NO A levels.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending