The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HanaGEM
From looking at last years thread it looks like dec/jan

thanks. i had a look and it started trickling out on the 18th of december so it's going to be a long wait
Original post by wciselko
ok, so do you think working with a student who suffered Asperger's syndrome would be relevant? I was supporting him throughout the first year of his degree. It was paid work and I just need an hour extra so I could put that down (I was not at all counting on that to be my work experience).

The form asks if the work experience helped you gain perspective of doctors, the NHS, carers or patients. If you think it did (guessing one or both of the latter two) then it should be ok. Think of it this way: would you be able to explain why it's relevant in the unlikely event that one of the admissions tutors questions you about it? If yes, add it; if no, don't.

The form also says that caring roles, except for close family, are acceptable.
ok, so do you think working with a student who suffered Asperger's syndrome would be relevant? I was supporting him throughout the first year of his degree. It was paid work and I just need an hour extra so I could put that down (I was not at all counting on that to be my work experience).

I think that would be fine
People who got the Notts work experience form, did you also get the My Nottingham login details? I don't have then and email said they have been sent so wondered if that is coming later or if I need to email to get it resent?
I've only currently got one form of experience really (I'm sitting GAMSAT in September 2016 for 2017 entry as I'm in the final year of my degree right now) but figured you guys are the most up to date to ask: I'm a patient activity volunteer on the Neurosurgery ward for Salford Royal NHS hospital, I do 1-5 on a Tuesday each week. It's mainly feeding and providing drinks for the patients, talking to them and playing games (especially the dementia patients). I get to shadow around during nurse handovers and doctors rounds. I've been doing that since October 2014 and will be continuing to do so (it's permanent) until my "potential" interview in March 2017 (over 2 years later).

That works out at roughly 400 hours of time worked by next year (realistically less since I can't always attend each week), but it's only in one location. Do you think I should branch out more? I probably would anyway but I'm wondering how many DIFFERENT forms of experience I may be best with - does the form give any kind of indication? (My top choice would most definitely be Nottingham). Thanks guys for any input on that you might have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by neuronerd
People who got the Notts work experience form, did you also get the My Nottingham login details? I don't have then and email said they have been sent so wondered if that is coming later or if I need to email to get it resent?

I asked about this too as I never got sent these! I'm not sure if just some of us were missed out or whether it's an issue at their end.
Original post by kantayya
I asked about this too as I never got sent these! I'm not sure if just some of us were missed out or whether it's an issue at their end.

I found the answer in the nottingham A101 thread. Turns out there was a link in the very first email nottingham sent us back when we first applied. If you click it then your account is created instantly. :smile:
Reply 3907
Anyone get through to warwick with a 670 ukcat and an MSc? Lowest I've heard is 675 so I'm wondering whether I should have applied!!
Original post by neuronerd
I found the answer in the nottingham A101 thread. Turns out there was a link in the very first email nottingham sent us back when we first applied. If you click it then your account is created instantly. :smile:

Thank you!!!
Original post by Lxh524
Anyone get through to warwick with a 670 ukcat and an MSc? Lowest I've heard is 675 so I'm wondering whether I should have applied!!

It's better not to know. I have 685 and an MSc, thought it was too risky so applied to my back up choice (Swansea) devastated doesn't even cover it. I wish I was braver but I already had two risky choices and couldn't justify a third. *sob* I really liked Warwick :frown:
Reply 3910
So if we got an work exp. email from Warwick and we meet the 70 hour requirement, does that mean an interview?

I got a 690 UKCAT with a 2:1 btw
Original post by chjw51
So if we got an work exp. email from Warwick and we meet the 70 hour requirement, does that mean an interview?

I got a 690 UKCAT with a 2:1 btw

We've had a bit of debate on the Warwick thread. General consensus is that we've met a certain threshold but the actual UKCAT cutoff will be announced on the 7th December once they've worked out how many they people they lose to insufficient hours work experience.
Original post by Quilverine
It was the same last year, an acknowledgement then nothing until a rejection in early December when they determined UKCAT cutoff.

From the info they gave actually working in an MDT is fine. Also the GMC guidance on work experience doesn't endorse extensive shadowing, some is good but practical care experience is better. It's more about opportunities that allow you to reflect and learn. Shadowing a few different docs can add understanding of elements of the profession but clinical work will actually let you know how you interact with patients and colleagues.

Were about is the form which shows a list of thing which qualify as work exp.

would working as a healthcare advisor in a pharmacy over summer count? It is a job where you are responding to symptoms to people who cant get in to see a GP and so you are playing an important NHS role and it gives an appreciation for medicine.
Reply 3913
Original post by nickname_esco
Were about is the form which shows a list of thing which qualify as work exp.

would working as a healthcare advisor in a pharmacy over summer count? It is a job where you are responding to symptoms to people who cant get in to see a GP and so you are playing an important NHS role and it gives an appreciation for medicine.

You pretty much answered your own question there :smile:
Reply 3914
my favourite show - I love his bitterness :biggrin: I have seen it all already and have been trying to watch it again but I keep falling asleep on the same episode !

I am stressing out about the interviews, trying to come up with 'acceptable' reasons for wanting to study medicine. I do not know how to put it in good words - does anyone know of any kaplan style people who can help with interviews?
I found ISC medical and they look good. Does anyone know about them?

I attended the ISC medical interview prep course last week in London, its a little bit expensive I think it was ~£300 for attending the course, but I found the course invaluable. I would recommend it if it is affordable for you :smile:
Reply 3915
Hey would be grateful for any guidance... I've worked part time as a lifeguard for a few years which involves doing first aid etc when necessary, for the Warwick work experience form would you deem this relevant? And which option would I tick for 'the patient, carer, NHS..' ?
I have other relevant work experience if not but just wondering whether to bother including this or not. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by smb18
Hey would be grateful for any guidance... I've worked part time as a lifeguard for a few years which involves doing first aid etc when necessary, for the Warwick work experience form would you deem this relevant? And which option would I tick for 'the patient, carer, NHS..' ?
I have other relevant work experience if not but just wondering whether to bother including this or not. Thanks in advance :smile:

I think it's best to put everything, you can add six different experiences. Life guarding could be caring I guess if you provide first aid*but it deffo wouldn't be NHS. Call admissions tomorrow for guidance but don't leave out anything that could help you secure an interview.
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows if attending conferences count as work experience for the Warwick form? I've been to three in the past two years, so it would be great if it did count!
When will we hear back from Oxford regarding interviews?
Reply 3919
I am a science teacher. Do you think this counts as a caring role? I have a lot of pastoral responsibility and work closely with parents and outside organisations including hospital education. I have many students with SEN. I also have voluntary and shadowing work but am wondering if I can put teaching as I know it's relevant! Thoughts anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending