The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone had an invite from Warwick to the selection centre?
Original post by pipo209
Has anyone had an invite from Warwick to the selection centre?

Nothing yet :frown:
Original post by Creatingchaos
Nothing yet :frown:

I really really thought it would be today! The wait goes on...
Been checking my emails all day hoping to hear something from Warwick. Nothing today sadly - but as much as i'll try not to - i think i'll be doing the same thing tomorrow

"Invitations will go out in the week commencing 7 December 2015"

Does that mean all interviews go out this week or that they are starting to invite people this week and it might take 2 weeks or so for some people? With the selection centre so soon i'd hope it's all this week
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Taz14
Been checking my emails all day hoping to hear something from Warwick. Nothing today sadly but as much as i'll try not to i think i'll be doing the same thing tomorrow

Does that mean all interviews go out this week or that they are starting to invite people this week and it might take 2 weeks or so for some people? With the selection centre so soon i'd hope it's all this week

I think they're all this week because we have to choose a date by the 13th I think
Original post by Taz14
Been checking my emails all day hoping to hear something from Warwick. Nothing today sadly but as much as i'll try not to i think i'll be doing the same thing tomorrow

Picking dates closes on the 13th which is Sunday, so they must all go out this week.
Original post by LilithSternin
Picking dates closes on the 13th which is Sunday, so they must all go out this week.

Original post by Creatingchaos
I think they're all this week because we have to choose a date by the 13th I think

Ah yeah that makes sense

No more than 94 hours of this horrible waiting around then :unimpressed:
Original post by Shamx2020
I'm 15 and Idek if this is the rightml thread.
I wanna do medicine and one of the things several doctors who are my dad's friends said you needed clinical experience,I was wondering how any sensible practitioner would let a teenager into a health practice.So how the hell does that work.sorry if my question is structured in a primitive way and if anything is unclear.

I have about 1 medical connection and I've managed to get clinical experience fairly easily without it. Most hospitals will want you to be at least 16 and some want you to be 18 for work experience. All you need to do is ring up the hospital and get them to direct you to the work experience co-ordinator/work experience department and they pretty much sort it all out for you. However, it can take a long time to sort it out ( many months), so be sure to sort it out fairly early! Try and get a mixture of medicine and surgery and 2 weeks is probably a good starting point.
Getting GP experience is actually really difficult if you don't know anyone- so maybe ask your dad if he has any friend's who are GPs ( I managed to get some through my mum's friend's brother).
Don't fret if you don't get any clinical work experience though - you can be exposed to healthcare/develop the right attributes through volunteering etc..
Warwick and Bart's need to get their **** together. It's almost two months since we applied.
Original post by RexyB
Warwick and Bart's need to get their **** together. It's almost two months since we applied.

Bart's have changed their screening process giving equal weight to academics and UKCAT so it may take longer than last year to ensure they're being fair and maintaining the standard of previous years' recruitment.

Warwick already sent out the work experience request forms which is way ahead of when they did it last year. The booking centre for interviews opens tomorrow and closes Sunday so decisions are definitely being made right now!

It's a pretty epic task for admissions teams who look at more than a single factor. Plus running separate selection days is quite new to the above, they were joint until last year.
Has anyone heard from Warwick after the work exp forms? Its starting to stress me out now :frown:
Original post by RexyB

You think this is bad. Wait till you actually get to university. Med schools are famously the most bureaucratic, insensitive and generally frustrating :smile:
Original post by ThomasPassion
You think this is bad. Wait till you actually get to university. Med schools are famously the most bureaucratic, insensitive and generally frustrating :smile:

I don't know from what I have seen from friends they are waaaaayyyy more lenient when it comes to not failing people and kicking them off the course than most competitive courses.
Original post by CharlieGEM
I don't know from what I have seen from friends they are waaaaayyyy more lenient when it comes to not failing people and kicking them off the course than most competitive courses.

A friend of mine was made to repeat his entire final year and resit all his finals because he failed one exam by one mark. Even I think that's rough, and having been to Oxford, my standards are pretty low! Maybe they aren't all that bad.
Original post by ThomasPassion
A friend of mine was made to repeat his entire final year and resit all his finals because he failed one exam by one mark. Even I think that's rough, and having been to Oxford, my standards are pretty low! Maybe they aren't all that bad.

A fail is a fail though. One of my friends was booted off a maths course for failing a year (not by much) after getting a first in the two previous years. A friend of mine doing medicine was allowed two repeated years in order to graduate. Both had (broadly similar) mitigating circumstances.
A fail is a fail though. One of my friends was booted off a maths course for failing a year (not by much) after getting a first in the two previous years. A friend of mine doing medicine was allowed two repeated years in order to graduate. Both had (broadly similar) mitigating circumstances.

Depends on the med school. Mine is pretty harsh about second chances, unless you have strong mitigating circumstances. There is also generally a much tougher pass mark in medicine than other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Known people to resit individual exams on multiple occasions. The prevailing view appearing to be once you are in, they really try to keep you there.
Original post by ForestCat
Depends on the med school. Mine is pretty harsh about second chances, unless you have strong mitigating circumstances. There is also generally a much tougher pass mark in medicine than other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually the bottom 10-15% get failed on a medicine degree? If so broadly similar to some other non-medicine courses. I think both the mitigating circumstances related to terminal illness of a close family member.

I actually don't know anyone who was forcibly removed from a course. Quite a few who left by mutual agreement, but only when they didn't think they would be able to complete the degree.
I don't really see how it benefits a university to do that. Unless they no longer get funding for students repeating a year (?)

Edit:
Failing finals being different - I don't know anyone outside medicine who gets to resit finals, true
Got an interview at qmul

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending