The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4360
Original post by Alexdaman93
My interview prep has been learning this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO68aJTOpM
It's handy in case there are any awkward silences I need to fill.
"So, why have you chosen KCL?"
"..."
"...Cerebellum left, cerebellum right!..."

Haha such a funny clip.
At least you are doing some form of prep! :smile:
Original post by Alexdaman93
My interview prep has been learning this song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snO68aJTOpM
It's handy in case there are any awkward silences I need to fill.
"So, why have you chosen KCL?"
"..."
"...Cerebellum left, cerebellum right!..."

http://youtu.be/EdmiOhpqlLI

This is my revision of choice.
"This is an X-ray showing Crohn's disease"
"No it's not, it's called an ECG"
Had some interview prep with a GP. Might have to put Sherlock Holmes down and read some newspapers.
Original post by gradmed1989
According to the national rail website there's engineering work between Durham and Darlington. It's only for the weekend of the 9th/10th as far as I can tell...hope that doesn't bugger up your journey to/from King's!

Ah okay hopefully it'll be fine, my interview is on 8th thankfully and Newcastle on 11th so I should avoid it. Thanks for letting me know :smile:
Does anyone have any good tips on how to answer scenario questions that involve a friend that is doing something unethical? e.g. taking drugs, missing classes etc etc

I've had one in an interview and would be interested to see how other people would answer them!
Original post by Quilverine
Had some interview prep with a GP. Might have to put Sherlock Holmes down and read some newspapers.

What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4757
Does anyone have any good tips on how to answer scenario questions that involve a friend that is doing something unethical? e.g. taking drugs, missing classes etc etc

I've had one in an interview and would be interested to see how other people would answer them!

MPS has a good page on it (http://www.medicalprotection.org/uk/advice-booklets/mps-guide-to-ethics---a-map-for-the-moral-maze/chapter-11---relating-to-colleagues/raising-concerns), definitely a worthwhile read since they're one of the companies who you might get your indemnity from as a med student and doctor.
Original post by Clunkles
http://youtu.be/EdmiOhpqlLI

This is my revision of choice.
"This is an X-ray showing Crohn's disease"
"No it's not, it's called an ECG"

I love Amateur Transplants. I shadowed various anaesthetists for a week, and this song is amazingly accurate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZl9tRqjoQ
Original post by Ben4757

- Put patient safety first
- Take responsibility for addressing the situation (don't ignore it)
- Try local solutions before global ones (i.e. talk to your friend before you think of reporting them to the med school)
- Be supportive and have empathy
- Follow up the situation (bearing point #1 in mind)

So basically, sit down with your friend, explore the problem with them using an encouraging and open approach (active listening), urge them to seek support from their GP or the medical school, offer to help with coursework/lecture notes if this is appropriate, check in with them later to see if everything's OK, and alert higher authorities only if they're not taking the problem seriously and/or patients are at risk.
Original post by HCAssistant93
What happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He asked about current public understanding of medicine and the media, I waffled a bit about antibiotic resistant STIs and news coverage is good. He asked me if I had read about the relationship between patient satisfaction surveys and antibiotic prescription rates and I was a bit like ummmmmm it's bad to fob people off with antibiotics when they have something viral that just needs to be ridden out ummmm.... he went through a few scenarios with no clear right answers and what to do if you're pressured into answering something that might be controversial. It was really useful for helping me make my thoughts less muddled.

I also really enjoyed sitting in on a GP clinic, I thought I would but it was good to have it confirmed.
Original post by prospectivemed56
- Put patient safety first
- Take responsibility for addressing the situation (don't ignore it)
- Try local solutions before global ones (i.e. talk to your friend before you think of reporting them to the med school)
- Be supportive and have empathy
- Follow up the situation (bearing point #1 in mind)

So basically, sit down with your friend, explore the problem with them using an encouraging and open approach (active listening), urge them to seek support from their GP or the medical school, offer to help with coursework/lecture notes if this is appropriate, check in with them later to see if everything's OK, and alert higher authorities only if they're not taking the problem seriously and/or patients are at risk.

Yeah, a fairly identical approach to what I said in my interview. Cheers for the tips!
Original post by cwmgal
Anyone heard anything for liverpool A101 or know when we will find out?

Apparently Liverpool won't get back to us until mid-Jan I believe, so still a couple of weeks!
Original post by kethan
Apparently Liverpool won't get back to us until mid-Jan I believe, so still a couple of weeks!

Even for rejections? I heard that they send some rejections out in December but I don't know if anyone has heard

Posted from TSR Mobile
ive not heard back from liverpool either, does anyone know their gamsat cut off?
potential SGUL interview in feb, does anyone have MMI tips? Absolutely bricking it after reading everyones credentials/experiences :afraid:
Original post by nehaxx
potential SGUL interview in feb, does anyone have MMI tips? Absolutely bricking it after reading everyones credentials/experiences :afraid:

The fact that it's 'potential' really puts me on edge, wish they could just confirm it all 😫
Original post by ali.s1002
The fact that it's 'potential' really puts me on edge, wish they could just confirm it all 😫

Right!!! I'm assuming you also received the neither here nor there email :wink:
(Original post by cwmgal)
Anyone heard anything for liverpool A101 or know when we will find out?
Apparently Liverpool won't get back to us until mid-Jan I believe, so still a couple of weeks!"

Am waiting til the end of Jan. It seems like every day is taking forever. I wish that the admissions staff worked over the holiday period. Am guessing every candidate was scored the same day post interview. So hope it shouldn't be too hard to rank applicants by interview score.

Exeter says they are making offers purely on interview performance and nothing else. So I hope I might hear before the 31st. But that's wishful thinking I guess.
Original post by nehaxx
Right!!! I'm assuming you also received the neither here nor there email :wink:

Exactly!! I'm tired of all this ambiguity hahah
Original post by HCAssistant93
Even for rejections? I heard that they send some rejections out in December but I don't know if anyone has heard

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what it seems, no one has heard from them at all. There only seems to be a few Liverpool applicants on tsr though and it could be that the few that are on here just haven't heard back, maybe?

Original post by ali.s1002
Exactly!! I'm tired of all this ambiguity hahah

This. I wish they could have just confirmed a date way back then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending