The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Newcastle just rejected me so only Keele undergrad left now 😔 No idea how I'm going to fund that either if I do manage to get in any tips from anyone? Undergrad was meant to be my backup.... I'm expected a first in biology degree, got a decent UKCAT and gamsat score, have extenuating circumstances for my a level results and have work experience for over a year in a clinical setting as well as working with children and the elderly in separate occasions along with a lot of other experience...what the hell do they want from us
Original post by Creatingchaos
I'm so impatient, this is going to be a long wait.

I just can't wait to hear! My King's interview email didn't come through until 19.37 so I can't relax when I get an email until about 9pm, it's exhausting.
Original post by Charlottemc1234
Newcastle just rejected me so only Keele undergrad left now 😔 No idea how I'm going to fund that either if I do manage to get in any tips from anyone? Undergrad was meant to be my backup.... I'm expected a first in biology degree, got a decent UKCAT and gamsat score, have extenuating circumstances for my a level results and have work experience for over a year in a clinical setting as well as working with children and the elderly in separate occasions along with a lot of other experience...what the hell do they want from us

Sorry to hear that! Where did you apply and what was your gamsat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that, but why apply for an undergrad course as a backup, with no way to fund it?

FWIW, there are many people on here - myself included - who didn't get in the first time we applied, so don't give up hope. Reapply!
Original post by Alexdaman93
Sorry to hear that, but why apply for an undergrad course as a backup, with no way to fund it?

FWIW, there are many people on here - myself included - who didn't get in the first time we applied, so don't give up hope. Reapply!

Future Finance. Although they have high APR, but you don't pay back until 10 months after graduation. I am not sure if they'd fund full time for 6 years though. Best asking them. You need a good credit rating too, or no go.
Original post by Alexdaman93

Because I was hoping to figure that out at a later date, my GAMSAT is 62 64 63
Original post by Jimib5863
Future Finance. Although they have high APR, but you don't pay back until 10 months after graduation. I am not sure if they'd fund full time for 6 years though. Best asking them. You need a good credit rating too, or no go.

Thank you I'll look into that!
i also didn't really understand how the finance system worked when applying, I now know that if you have a Bsc but want to do a medical degree (non-graduate) there's barely any help with finances. Whereas if I decided to do nursing or midwifery currently they are funded. Also if I don't get in this year I'm not reapplying, I can't imagine being anything other than a doctor but I've put my all into this application and next year won't make a difference other than the fact I'll be used to earning a wage. Hoping to do some kind of nursing or midwifery course if Keele reject me does anyone know if they go into UCAS extra/clearing? If not then that's gone too.

That's actually a good gamsat score- it might be worth applying to some gamsat GEM unis if you didn't this year. Even if the cut offs increase a tiny bit you 'll possibly still get in without having to redo the gamsat
i also didn't really understand how the finance system worked when applying, I now know that if you have a Bsc but want to do a medical degree (non-graduate) there's barely any help with finances. Whereas if I decided to do nursing or midwifery currently they are funded. Also if I don't get in this year I'm not reapplying, I can't imagine being anything other than a doctor but I've put my all into this application and next year won't make a difference other than the fact I'll be used to earning a wage. Hoping to do some kind of nursing or midwifery course if Keele reject me does anyone know if they go into UCAS extra/clearing? If not then that's gone too.

If you can't imagine being anything other than a doctor why would you give up so easily?! So many people get in 2nd time or later, you should give yourself at least that chance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good gamsat! I'd look at Notts Swansea Liverpool and St Georges next year maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
That's a really good gamsat! I'd look at Notts Swansea Liverpool and St Georges next year maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rejected from Notts and st Georges which is why I've lost hope when people with a lower score and less experience have got in I literally can't do anything more
Reply 4712
Original post by ninalouise258
Had my Barts interview today. It was so much fun and in a way kind of informal. Everyone seemed to think they had done well so I guess it's still going to be tough competition but yeah - anyone interviewing for Barts, don't be scared! My interviewer was a medical school lecturer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey glad it went well! Is Barts group work and a structured interview? On the online portal it says something about observing and commenting on a health professional-patient consultation and group work but nothing about a structured interview...

Feeling stressed out now! And I've only just gotten round to preparing for the interview (which is on Thursday)!
Rejected from Notts and st Georges which is why I've lost hope when people with a lower score and less experience have got in I literally can't do anything more

Ah man I'm sorry about that! Maybe they look at other stuff too. Have you asked for feedback?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm confused, notts have only rejected below cut offso far. You are above it so should still be in the running.

Did you get a work experience questionaire? If you didnt then you need to ring notts first thing tomorrow because that was an error!

Edit: ok call me crazy but I just thought your name rang a bell. Just checked and last time I replied to you your gamsat was 58, so I'm guessing that the rejections are accurate and you need to resit the gamsat for next year if you choose to reapply...
(edited 8 years ago)

I dont know about nursing but midwifery is as competitive as GEM, at my uni there were 3000 applicants for 70 places, other unis have similar ratios.

Also I cant imagine youd be happy doing either if you cant imagine yourself doing anything but medicine they are entirely different professions with different focuses. Why not reapply next year (if you dont get in this year) then apply for nursing in clearing if you dont get in then (i think there are usually places in clearing though I believe they are also competitive).

Get feedback from the unis you got rejections from to strenghten your application next year, you can do this!

I'm sure you can bump up your GAMSAT next time round, especially if this was your first go. Get a job in somewhere in a hospital and find out what day to day life in the NHS is like (can't recommend enough). Don't know your financial situation but a year of earning can't hurt either.
You will definitely come back a much stronger candidate. Being resilient against rejection and failure is important for any profession!

Really sorry to hear that. I have looked up before on the website

http://www.money4medstudents.org

I'm not sure how useful it is as most of the awards on offer are a few hundred only but it seemed like as comprehensive a list as I've seen anywhere.

One thing that did occur to me is that if your degree result is not achieved maybe Nottingham apply their 2:2 GAMSAT cut off (as entry was said to be conditional on a 2:2 on their website). So with a first, next year you would be almost guaranteed an interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ninalouise258
Had my Barts interview today. It was so much fun and in a way kind of informal. Everyone seemed to think they had done well so I guess it's still going to be tough competition but yeah - anyone interviewing for Barts, don't be scared! My interviewer was a medical school lecturer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good to hear. Is it just a 1 on 1 interview? I thought it was panel. Also how long does the interview last?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending