The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kethan
I'm surprised they didn't mention it on the day! Not everyone has their degree certificates, as some applicants may still be in their 2nd year, so it won't have screwed you! Best thing to do is just ring the admissions and see what they want rather than waiting for them to contact you!

Thats what I thought as they looked through all the documents whilst we had that introduction presentation. Will contact admissions regardless just wanted a more immediate response from you guys! Many thanks :thumbsup:
Original post by MAM_GA
I think you're right, thanks for the update!

When I interviewed on 12 February, they said we would hear within 4 weeks (which I remember being as being very specific!), giving this Friday 11th as the hear-by date...
Original post by Cuts92
For those who had SGUL interviews, they ask you to bring 'all original examination certificates' which to me means, A-levels, GCSE's and additional extra curricular's (which I did bring) but in hindsight I didn't bring my degree certificate.... Has this screwed me or will they get in contact if they want it?

Hi! I didn't bring my AS Level Certificate and I emailed admissions and they said it's fine. If you're successful and they give you an offer, admissions will contact you about outstanding paperwork and then they will ask you to provide the degree certificate. I think they ask you to post it to them with a photocopy and they'll send it back to you :smile:

It won't affect your offer, they will ask for it at some point :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kantayya
When I interviewed on 12 February, they said we would hear within 4 weeks (which I remember being as being very specific!), giving this Friday 11th as the hear-by date...

They said 4 weeks to everyone it seems. Mine was on the 9th and the "4 week deadline" was today. Someone rang up on the SGUL thread and they told them that we'd all hear by mid next week! (Quote below)

Original post by lyrabelacqua93
I couldn't handle the uncertainty and rang the admissions office, they said we should all hear back around the middle of next week x
Hey guys.

I have a quick question:
I am currently sitting on two waiting lists for A100 and A101 at Barts. I am making provisional plans should I not get lucky this summer.
I am in the final year of my degree and would like to ask what people recommend doing for the year should I decide to apply again (and over summer).
I feel I have gained excessive amounts of work experience at this moment. I have looked into studying at masters level for the year - yet I am not 100% on the idea.
What would you guys recommend?
The Masters probably wont add anything to your application as I'm fairly certain that Unis only score your original degree. And it'll add to your level of debt. So in the long run its probably not worth doing - unless you intend to use it for an alternative career and that this degree would actually give you skills you currently don't have. Just doing 'something to fill the year before I reappply' seems a bit lame frankly.

Why did you not get an interview/offer? Its probably not the amount of experience itself but how you have described it and, importantly, how you explained what you got out of it. Two of the key skills for a future doctor are communication and ability to empathise. Therefore using an example like forming a connection with someone with profound alzheimer's to explain that you have this ability, and that this was a moment you realised that you wanted to do medicine and why, might help. Look objectively at your PS - is it about other people, or all about 'me' ?
Original post by ocarina117
Hey guys.

I have a quick question:
I am currently sitting on two waiting lists for A100 and A101 at Barts. I am making provisional plans should I not get lucky this summer.
I am in the final year of my degree and would like to ask what people recommend doing for the year should I decide to apply again (and over summer).
I feel I have gained excessive amounts of work experience at this moment. I have looked into studying at masters level for the year - yet I am not 100% on the idea.

If you feel you have enough work experience I'd probably suggest a master's personally! ( Especially since there are the new postgraduate loans out for this year)! I know a few universities will take it into consideration pre-interview (I think Warwick use to?). Plus a Master's will put you in good stead when applying for Fy1 jobs (In the current system you get an extra point over undergaduates and this can make all the difference!). Although, obviously take some time to consider whether you actually want to study a master's- obviously it's going to be very difficult in comparison to your Bsc. Plus having the stress from that and your interviews might be quite overwhelming! Also if you do end up applying, make sure the end date of the master's isn't after the start date of the A101/A100 courses you apply to! Pretty sure they won't accept you if they do overlap.
There are many things you can do with your year though! You may never get a year off again once you start medicine so you could always look at it as an opportunity to do some travelling or just plain relax for a bit :smile:
I'm doing my MSc now as I was unsuccessful last year. I don't think it's a waste at all! There are some unis that like masters graduates. I got a bursary for mine so obviously don't have extra added on to my student loan so you'll need to factor in how a post grad loan might affect you. I'm really glad I chose to do a masters. I have had the opportunity to focus more on what interests me and learn some new skills along the way. It's hard work, especially as I'm working as an HCA as well, but totally worth it.

Hey guys.

I have a quick question:
Original post by MJK91
I'm a current student (1st year) but had 3 rejections. Shite A-levels and missed out on the UKCAT cut-off for 2 years :P So work hard for the UKCAT!

Wow! 4 cycles?! That's awesome, man! Can you tell me briefly your work experience? Look up to ya!
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Wow! 4 cycles?! That's awesome, man! Can you tell me briefly your work experience? Look up to ya!

Sorry that's a mistake! 3 cycles total :smile: Felt like 50 years though! First few times I barely had anything -- bit of social voluntary work but nothing hands on. Final time I had worked with patients abroad on a study, and with patients at a hospital in a research role + other voluntary things (Oxfam etc, nothing major).

Main hinderance was the UKCAT to be honest.
Hey guys.

I have a quick question:

You can never have enough work experience. What will benefit you the most is working in healthcare. It'll make your f1 year a lot less like hell on earth. Masters schmasters. Really only gives you more paper qualifications. Get out there, speak to people, work with people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HCA work or similar if you can get it. Is it worth the cost and stress of an MSci for a year just to get that extra point (out of 100) for F1 placements. Also, the experience is invaluable. We regularly get FY1 doctors appearing on my ward, and hey often say how they wish they'd had more hands on experience before they got there, so actually interacting with a patient is second nature. It's a worry you don't really need when you're trying to cope with F1
Hey guys. Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. The last few days have been major stressful!
The major issue is that I'm sitting on two waiting lists so I'll be in limbo all the way through to August!
I am leading towards working as a HCA if i decide not to take up a masters, I'd prefer it greatly over conventional work experience due to ability to do handy work rather than stand around and take notes! I always feel like I get in the way; only a few doctors have managed to make me feel welcome during Work experience placements. I'm eternally grateful to those fantastic men and women.
The only issue is I'm absolutely in love with Barts medical school! I was in shock when I managed to secure an interview there this year and gutted I just missed out on a concrete offer! Their scoring to invite to interview is hard to predict after seeing the profiles of some people who got pre-interview rejections. If I was unable to obtain a first in my current degree, do they consider a masters to compensate?
If I was to secure a position as a HCA or a position on a Masters over summer but (touch wood) receive an offer of the waiting list to study medicine; would I be okay to leave the job/ masters?
Again thanks everyone for the help. I've only recently started posting regularly and have been taken back by the level of support offered and how comforting people manage to be over a forum!
Hey guys. Thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it. The last few days have been major stressful!
The major issue is that I'm sitting on two waiting lists so I'll be in limbo all the way through to August!
I am leading towards working as a HCA if i decide not to take up a masters, I'd prefer it greatly over conventional work experience due to ability to do handy work rather than stand around and take notes! I always feel like I get in the way; only a few doctors have managed to make me feel welcome during Work experience placements. I'm eternally grateful to those fantastic men and women.
The only issue is I'm absolutely in love with Barts medical school! I was in shock when I managed to secure an interview there this year and gutted I just missed out on a concrete offer! Their scoring to invite to interview is hard to predict after seeing the profiles of some people who got pre-interview rejections. If I was unable to obtain a first in my current degree, do they consider a masters to compensate?
If I was to secure a position as a HCA or a position on a Masters over summer but (touch wood) receive an offer of the waiting list to study medicine; would I be okay to leave the job/ masters?
Again thanks everyone for the help. I've only recently started posting regularly and have been taken back by the level of support offered and how comforting people manage to be over a forum!

Leaving a job is probably easier than leaving a Masters, particularly if you have already forked out for the fees! Personally, I would advise you to move on and not wait in limbo. August is almost 5 months away, and it would be foolish to put things on hold, whilst holding out for an offer, if it never arrives. (Also, some people in my cohort - Southampton A100, got an offer on Friday, and we started on the Monday, so that's towards the end of September!)
I would also suggest you don't make the decision based on your passion for one medical school. Yes we have favourites on applying, but at the end of the day, if you really want to do medicine, you won't care where it is! Southampton was probably nearing the bottom if I were to put my universities in an order of preference, however now I'm here I absolutely love everything about it!
Make your decision based on what you think will strengthen your application overall and give you the strongest opportunities across 4 universities.
Good Luck! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophia08
Hi! I didn't bring my AS Level Certificate and I emailed admissions and they said it's fine. If you're successful and they give you an offer, admissions will contact you about outstanding paperwork and then they will ask you to provide the degree certificate. I think they ask you to post it to them with a photocopy and they'll send it back to you :smile:

It won't affect your offer, they will ask for it at some point :smile:

ok, thank you for clearing that up! mind put at ease (or as eased as it can be whilst waiting for decisions!).
I wonder are they gonna give out offers next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone else's Student Finance entitlement summary say the following?

You’re studying for a qualification that's equivalent to or lower than a qualification you already have.This means while you're studying your new course, you're not able to get a:Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant. You may still be able to apply for: Parents' Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants' Grant, Childcare Grant, Disabled Students' Allowance.

I have definitely selected the right course (GEM). Should I give them a bit more time to figure it out as it is still early, or do I call them right away?
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a bit off topic but I just wanted to get a general idea. What would you say is the average age of a graduate entering medicine?

I ask because I am 24 and just had offers from some 5 year courses, and one pre med course. I am half tempted by the pre med year but getting a bit anxious at the idea of being 30/31 when I qualify. Is this sort of age to be qualifying pretty standard or not?

Cheers :biggrin:
Original post by JDarlo91
Hey guys,

sorry if this is a bit off topic but I just wanted to get a general idea. What would you say is the average age of a graduate entering medicine?

I ask because I am 24 and just had offers from some 5 year courses, and one pre med course. I am half tempted by the pre med year but getting a bit anxious at the idea of being 30/31 when I qualify. Is this sort of age to be qualifying pretty standard or not?

Cheers :biggrin:

No idea what the average age is, but I'm 35 and applying this year for the first time, so if you're too old I'm really too old! I'll be cracking on 40 before I'm an F1. I know plenty of people older than you who have done it as well.

I spent a bit of time in my early thirties thinking "oh I wish I'd done graduate medicine in my twenties and now it's too late", but then I realised that I'm still quite a few decades from the grave, and the nhs will probably still be able to get 30 years work out of me (and who knows what the retirement age will be by then). I look at my parents who are in their 70s and still super active, and realised that it would make much more sense to start afresh with a new career that will be satisfying and interesting over the long term.

There are the complications around having a family as well, perhaps especially if you're female. But lots of med students and doctors have said to me that these things can all be figured out. It wouldn't be easy, but there's enough flexibility in the system.

So, seriously, don't fret. You have all the time in the world.
The older you are the more life experience you bring to Medicine - and Universities know this.
Older applicants will always be encouraged to apply - and highly valued once they are on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending