The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I wonder with this new Tory government and their cry of 'chronic doctor shortages' and plans of implementing a 7 day service for more areas whether this will open up more med school places.

It's not something I've really looked into before, but do politicians walk the walk with this kind of talk? If Cameron wants to create thousands of new GPs he's going to have to get those people from somewhere. Coupled with an off putting 7 day working GP week (potentially) changing peoples views of heading down that career path there surely needs to be some kind of action...

It will be interesting to see the future of GEM... Sure you will get a faster turnaround on students who are GMC registered once their 5 year course is completed, but will the loss of all students from GEM courses across the country negate this?

Just some stupid thoughts crossing my mind...
Reply 501
Original post by Marathi
I wonder with this new Tory government and their cry of 'chronic doctor shortages' and plans of implementing a 7 day service for more areas whether this will open up more med school places.

It's not something I've really looked into before, but do politicians walk the walk with this kind of talk? If Cameron wants to create thousands of new GPs he's going to have to get those people from somewhere. Coupled with an off putting 7 day working GP week (potentially) changing peoples views of heading down that career path there surely needs to be some kind of action...

It will be interesting to see the future of GEM... Sure you will get a faster turnaround on students who are GMC registered once their 5 year course is completed, but will the loss of all students from GEM courses across the country negate this?

Doubt it. It takes 9-11 years to train a GP from scratch, while the government needs an influx of GPs now to deliver on their manifesto promises. The FP is oversubscribed every year anyway, so without a reform of that all more med school places would mean is higher rates of oversubscription and not more doctors.

Doctors/nurses/AHPs I spoke to on my work experience were all very sceptical of the claims of x amount of new GPs and y amount of new nurses, and thought that expanding GP services to 7 day at time when GPs are already so stretched is untenable.

Not sure how it'll affect GEM courses, the Shape of Training review could have a large hand in their future though.

I'm a little concerned myself, but I've learned that a lot of what politicians say and promise is purely electioneering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 502
Original post by Marathi

First thoughts are to stretch current staff levels to create 7 day services, but this will burn the whole NHS out very quickly.
As mentioned the lag time in training doctors would mean they could not fill those positions for quite a while by simply increasing training numbers.

To get an immediate influx of doctors we would need to look to recruiting from outside the UK. As we already do in huge recruitment drives with nursing and paramedics.
There is already a push to open more space for international medical students and if talks to remove the foundation programme are successful IMGs will be more able to enter the profession in the UK.

GEM numbers only make up about 10% - 15% of medical graduates per cohort.
Ben,

If it is not too late, I would like to join your study group.

Thanks,

Sheila
Reply 504
Original post by Es0phagus
I have papers 1-10 but I am only beginning revision so I am probably some way off actually using them. Are they any good?

Well they seem to be good practice, have you done the first test Yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 505
Does anyone know how to do from 1st test ozimed papers section 3 Q 84?
Can postgraduates apply for a student finance loan?
Original post by princess271
Can postgraduates apply for a student finance loan?

Yes, but you don't get as much...you can get a fees loan for £5655 ish (you have to self fund the first £3450ish of your fees in the first year, after that he nhs pays it) and then a maintenance loan of up to £5740. No maintenance grant as far as I'm aware. That goes down after 1st year to about £2300, but you can then apply for an nhs bursary. You get £1000 automatically, and then there's a means tested bit on top which also takes into account the number of week you're at uni, up to a max of about £3000 I think? Check out money4medstudents, they have a really good breakdown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello

I am a second year student midwife, hoping to become a doctor. It is going to hard, I dont have much familiy support, but I want to do it.
Reply 509
I was suprised to read this:
'so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5)'
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/selection-criteria
interesting. But then I guess the quality of applicants to Oxford imposes an unspoken cutoff anyway. If there are lots of applicants with pristine records, it doesnt matter how low the actual cutoff is
"We hope to broaden the entry criteria to include other graduates within the next few years" is interesting too, most places seem to be going the opposite way
Reply 512
I dont understand why any of you guys didn't study medicine in europe? It would have saved u all this hassle
Original post by Shakz
I dont understand why any of you guys didn't study medicine in europe? It would have saved u all this hassle

Because we're not all sitting on a pile of money.
Reply 514
Original post by Testmed
interesting. But then I guess the quality of applicants to Oxford imposes an unspoken cutoff anyway. If there are lots of applicants with pristine records, it doesnt matter how low the actual cutoff is

Very true.

Original post by -inspired-
"We hope to broaden the entry criteria to include other graduates within the next few years" is interesting too, most places seem to be going the opposite way

I was gutted when Kings changed their entry requirements, they won't accept my degree.
Reply 515
Original post by Ebuwa
Very true.

The Oxford grad course is dominated by PhD holders from what I hear. Both from people on the course and those that applied.
Reply 516
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Because we're not all sitting on a pile of money.

What? You do know its nearly half the price to study in Europe(such as Bulgaria and Romania)....plus the one my cousin is going to (Pleven Uni) has student finance too
Original post by Shakz
What? You do know its nearly half the price to study in Europe(such as Bulgaria and Romania)....plus the one my cousin is going to (Pleven Uni) has student finance too

As a first degree or second degree? As far as I'm aware the NHS won't fund me to go to Bulgaria or Romania to train and I've used up the vast majority of my student loan entitlement from my first degree. So unless I win the lottery, I'll be studying in the UK on a 4 year course. Unless you know something I don't...
Hi,

I am currently finishing my second year of a Biology degree with the Open Uni, I graduate next year and I thinking about applying to grad med this october for next year.

(I have 4 A levels + 2 AS levels 3 x A* 1 xB & 1 x c[English] from years ago)

I feel very unsure about my degree as it is with the open uni and I have no idea how med schools view this. I have essentially studied for my degree full time whilst working for the NHS full time in clinical support roles and research stuff.

I have five years experience working in the NHS (since I was 18). I volunteer at a hospice as a ward helper once per week and have been doing so for the last six months.

I am due to sit my GAMSAT in sept and BMAT in sept also. I am taking UKCAT in July for practice/experience.

Do you think med schools would just laugh at my application for grad med?!
Reply 519
Original post by somethingbeautiful
As a first degree or second degree? As far as I'm aware the NHS won't fund me to go to Bulgaria or Romania to train and I've used up the vast majority of my student loan entitlement from my first degree. So unless I win the lottery, I'll be studying in the UK on a 4 year course. Unless you know something I don't...

Mate, as a first degree or second ur choice but u didn't need to do a first degree cos u could have just done it in europe instead of doin 2degrees which puts you in more debt after u graduate. just check this website out....u don't need to be involved with the NHS or whatever. Its an agency that does everything for you...from your flight-accomodation-student finance.

http://www.studymedicineeurope.com/faq/costs-fees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending