The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Anybody know when they're likely to confirm funding for 2016/17 entry? My nerves are wrecked from the wait!
Original post by adamphilpot
I'd say that us, as potential graduate entry applicants we probably won't ever pay it off. I already have somewhere in the region of £30k debt anyway, that added onto another 4 years of uni...looking at maybe £60/70 in total if not more..

But it doesn't bother me, I'm already paying back my first loan at a rate of £80 ish a month, while that £80 would be nice to have its not breaking the bank and I'm not a particularly high earner at all.

Even if you're a consultant earning £71k, you're only paying back £360 a month from a roughly £4000 per month salary. Not bad really!
Anyone else here struggling with the timing for the quantitative reasoning section of the UKCAT? I'm finding it difficult to take in all the data and then calculate the answer (using the calculator) in time. Any tips?
Original post by entwinedflames
Anyone else here struggling with the timing for the quantitative reasoning section of the UKCAT? I'm finding it difficult to take in all the data and then calculate the answer (using the calculator) in time. Any tips?

I advise to just read the question and then the relevant data as usually you can usually answer them without reading everything.

And always being up the calculator at the start of every question ready.
(edited 8 years ago)

Systematic approach. Is it really wordy? Flag it and come back later. If you do nothing else, do that. It is impossible for most people to answer all questions in a stepwise fashion. You will need to recognise the ones you can't do quickly.

Are you confident with the skills required for the question within 10-15 seconds (e.g. simple multiplications, conversions etc)? Answer those quickly. Try your best to focus on not using a calculator when you practice simple questions. There are numerous techniques you can use to do quick addition/subtraction/multiplication/division so I'd get used to them ASAP, and use the whiteboard. Quicker than opening the calculator in a lot of instances!

On the longer ones, open the calculator immediately. Have your pen handy and make notes of calculation steps as you do them.
Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try using pen and paper in combo with the calculator and flagging the ones which just look too complex off the bat. Getting a very average score on this section and it's very frustrating!
Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try using pen and paper in combo with the calculator and flagging the ones which just look too complex off the bat. Getting a very average score on this section and it's very frustrating!

I thought it'd be my worst but it ended up being one of my strongest, so don't worry too much. Just make sure you're very very familiar with how to perform simple calculations. If you can complete everything on Bitesize with ease then you'll be fine really.

Good luck!
Original post by MJK91
I thought it'd be my worst but it ended up being one of my strongest, so don't worry too much. Just make sure you're very very familiar with how to perform simple calculations. If you can complete everything on Bitesize with ease then you'll be fine really.

Good luck!

I saw you mentioned bitesize? You mean the BBC bitesize for maths? At GCSE level?

I'm struggling with QR and timing a lot, so I'll do anything to boost my chances!
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
I saw you mentioned bitesize? You mean the BBC bitesize for maths? At GCSE level?

I'm struggling with QR and timing a lot, so I'll do anything to boost my chances!

Yup... Just use any mental maths programs and get your mental maths to scratch you'll be fine! The questions are like John has a farm and wants to fence it, the farm is 1.5km by 2km, how many meters of fence will he need?

Trust me i had to use BBC bitesize chemistry in medical school its a life saver... #noshame
How much do they focus on work experience for graduate entry?
I've only got 6 months at a care home (which I did back in 2013) as well as shadowing a plastic surgeon and I may be shadowing another doctor soon. Would this be enough? It's just that I know others who have way more work experience and I've struggled enough already to get the shadowing experience.
Not done the UKCAT yet, but did it a couple of years ago and got 707.5 so hopefully that will run smoothly again...
Also, I'm only being predicted a 2.1...
Cheers!
Original post by DoeADeer
How much do they focus on work experience for graduate entry?
I've only got 6 months at a care home (which I did back in 2013) as well as shadowing a plastic surgeon and I may be shadowing another doctor soon. Would this be enough? It's just that I know others who have way more work experience and I've struggled enough already to get the shadowing experience.
Not done the UKCAT yet, but did it a couple of years ago and got 707.5 so hopefully that will run smoothly again...
Also, I'm only being predicted a 2.1...
Cheers!

You could have 10 years worth of clinical healthcare experience but if you can't translate how your experiences would make you a good doctor then you wont be successful. Your WE looks fine, and getting 2.1 is a great achievement. Not many GEM applicants have firsts, and even if they did it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to universities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey :smile: need some advice
I'm a 2nd year biomedical science student at plymouth on a 2:1 at the moment.
Did my ukcat today (my first time ever) and I've not done the best. 560, 640, 620, 660. Band 2
I don't know where I stand. Should i just not apply for med?
What unis would still concider me?
Original post by MJK91
Even if you're a consultant earning £71k, you're only paying back £360 a month from a roughly £4000 per month salary. Not bad really!

if you're earning £71,000 per year then you'd earn more like £6000 per month, so yes you're right £360 per month wouldn't even be noticeable
Hi, I'm just wandering why is everyone in the world so obsessed with doing medicine? Thanks
I have another question, apologies...
My ultimate goal is to eventually become a surgeon. Is it a good idea to mention this in my personal statement and give reasons for why I want to be one (e.g. I play the flute and piano therefore I have good manual dexterity which is a trait surgeons need). Or should I just leave this out?
Reply 775
In reply to transientdipole: to help people perhaps? Perhaps there are a vast amount of caring people. I wouldn't say that "everyone is obsessed" either
(edited 8 years ago)
My ultimate goal is to eventually become a surgeon. Is it a good idea to mention this in my personal statement and give reasons for why I want to be one (e.g. I play the flute and piano therefore I have good manual dexterity which is a trait surgeons need). Or should I just leave this out?

You could mention that from your previous experience you are particularly interested in exploring surgery further, it would show focus and a desire for the career of a doctor beyond medical school since medicine is a professional qualification, but I would be careful about seeming too set on one area. Part of studying medicine is about exploring the different specialties and a lot of people graduate wanting to work in a completely different specialty than they originally thought, so if you do mention it then I would try and make it clear that although at the moment you are particularly interested in surgery, you also want to explore other specialties that you haven't had a chance to experience yet. I wouldn't focus your entire personal statement around it because the degree is medicine and surgery :smile:.

Don't mention it... They can grill you why you want to be one. And actually without having experienced it on placement as a medical student you don't really know what it's really like and then i know people who were so keen on surgery pre-clinicals and now they aren't at all.
I never thought I'd enjoy surgery but I'm loving it and am now really considering it as a future career, now tailoring my CV a bit in medical school i.e. publications etc.
Just be open minded and don't specifically say you want to do 1 thing. Use your usic playing as an example of interests outside of medicine (as its really important! I'd go crazy if i didn't have my hobbies)
Original post by lcsurfer
Don't mention it... They can grill you why you want to be one. And actually without having experienced it on placement as a medical student you don't really know what it's really like and then i know people who were so keen on surgery pre-clinicals and now they aren't at all.
I never thought I'd enjoy surgery but I'm loving it and am now really considering it as a future career, now tailoring my CV a bit in medical school i.e. publications etc.
Just be open minded and don't specifically say you want to do 1 thing. Use your usic playing as an example of interests outside of medicine (as its really important! I'd go crazy if i didn't have my hobbies)

I'm not sure.. I shadowed a plastic surgeon and did an anatomy module in the year that just went and we dissected the whole body during the course of the year. Would that not be relevant to mention why I think I'd enjoy surgery?
Thanks for your reply btw! I noticed on your profile that you're a graduate medic at KCL... I'm at KCL doing biomed atm and am apply for the graduate entry programme here. Do you have any tips on the application/MMIs by any chance? I'm pretty terrified of the sound of the MMIs. Are all the questions they ask involve trying to figure out what you'd do in certain situations? Do any involve acting out anything... It's just that I read somewhere a question could be imagine that you've run over your neighbour's cat... how would you tell your neighbour? Something like that anyway...
Thanks!
Original post by -inspired-
You could mention that from your previous experience you are particularly interested in exploring surgery further, it would show focus and a desire for the career of a doctor beyond medical school since medicine is a professional qualification, but I would be careful about seeming too set on one area. Part of studying medicine is about exploring the different specialties and a lot of people graduate wanting to work in a completely different specialty than they originally thought, so if you do mention it then I would try and make it clear that although at the moment you are particularly interested in surgery, you also want to explore other specialties that you haven't had a chance to experience yet. I wouldn't focus your entire personal statement around it because the degree is medicine and surgery :smile:.

Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, I'm aware that whilst going through medical school it is probably quite easy to change your mind on what speciality you want to focus your career on, hence the reason I'm pondering on whether or not to mention it. I think I'll mention it briefly but not put too much focus onto it like you've suggested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending