The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sampowell92
I realise it doesn't form an integral part of most applications, but have you got any tips on the sorts of things to include in the personal statement?

Hi. A big thing which is probably obvious would be to include what you've learnt from your work experience and how that has helped you to make an informed decision to study medicine and ultimately become a doctor.

Remember to focus on patient centred care as ultimately that's who the most important person is.

Make sure to put a little in there about hobbies etc to show you're well rounded and have mechanisms of dealing with stress.

Those are the main points that I'd recommend really
(edited 8 years ago)
When putting module marks for your degree on UCAS do you just put 3rd year marks or 2nd year as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
When putting module marks for your degree on UCAS do you just put 3rd year marks or 2nd year as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't think you needed to put degree module marks in? Might be wrong though..
I didn't think you needed to put degree module marks in? Might be wrong though..

I didn't think you did either. I know a couple of unis I emailed didn't require them in the reference either.

Apparently they ask for a a transcript of your results anyway so my uni tutor told me to put them on, I'm putting 2nd and 3rd cos they both count.

Do you think where it says result, you should put the mark (65) or degree class (2.1) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently they ask for a a transcript of your results anyway so my uni tutor told me to put them on, I'm putting 2nd and 3rd cos they both count.

Do you think where it says result, you should put the mark (65) or degree class (2.1) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there are options to choose your degree class and not mark?
I think there are options to choose your degree class and not mark?

Ye for degree class. But when adding modules it wasn't the module name, year and month of qualification and result. So would this be 2.1 etc or the percentage?

I was told to put them on by my uni professor because they usually ask for it anyway at some point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ye for degree class. But when adding modules it wasn't the module name, year and month of qualification and result. So would this be 2.1 etc or the percentage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think in that case, percentage. At my uni, that's how module results are given.
Original post by ForensicKetchup
I think in that case, percentage. At my uni, that's how module results are given.

Yep that's what I though! My uni also, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForensicKetchup
I didn't think you did either. I know a couple of unis I emailed didn't require them in the reference either.

Which unis did you email? There doesn't seem to be much info on what each uni wants on the UCAS application..
Which unis did you email? There doesn't seem to be much info on what each uni wants on the UCAS application..

I think I'm just going to put my overall degree class and leave modules etc. The unis can ask for them if they want them, and if they do they're going to want to see transcripts anyway.

Dundee and Glasgow. I emailed to ask if they wanted anything in addition to what they'd expect from a school leaver with regards to academic content and results and they both said no, they want the reference to discuss your suitability for the course.

(I'm pretty sure I emailed Edinburgh too, but didn't get a reply. :/)
For those doing the GAMSAT in September, how long have you been studying for it? And what resources have you been using?

I've been doing some light study for it since June but I really want to concentrate on it now since I've finished my UKCAT but I'm struggling on finding resources to use. I've got all of the ACER practice materials but I don't want to do the full length tests too soon.
It is! But if you smash you personal statement and reference and check their other criteria there's no saying you won't get an interview. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, good luck with your application too!
Hey guys, I am posting on behalf of a friend who is currently in their last year of nursing (January Start) . They want to study graduate medicine and will have from January onwards to get everything sorted out for their application. Unfortunately medicine was not an option after A level due to low grades. She is predicted a 2.1 for Mental Health Nursing Bsc. Please could someone give any advice on what unis she could apply too. And if she realistically has a chance of getting in. Also does any one now any any good courses for the UKCAT,,BMAT and GAMSAT. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Danny129
Hey guys, I am posting on behalf of a friend who is currently in their last year of nursing (January Start) . They want to study graduate medicine and will have from January onwards to get everything sorted out for their application. Unfortunately medicine was not an option after A level due to low grades. She is predicted a 2.1 for Mental Health Nursing Bsc. Please could someone give any advice on what unis she could apply too. And if she realistically has a chance of getting in. Also does any one now any any good courses for the UKCAT,,BMAT and GAMSAT. Thanks again :smile:

Your friend needs to research the entry requirements for each GEM course, as some will accept nursing as a science, others will not, some won't even care what subject the degree is in.

I don't really think courses are necessary to do well in entrance exams, they seem to be awfully expensive and many people pass the exams every year without going on courses.

Depending on which courses your friend decides on, she can start preparing for entrance exams. Her work experience should be decent already, being a nurse.
Original post by liam__
Your friend needs to research the entry requirements for each GEM course, as some will accept nursing as a science, others will not, some won't even care what subject the degree is in.

I don't really think courses are necessary to do well in entrance exams, they seem to be awfully expensive and many people pass the exams every year without going on courses.

Depending on which courses your friend decides on, she can start preparing for entrance exams. Her work experience should be decent already, being a nurse.

Thanks I will pass on the advice to her. Regarding preparation for entrance exams when is the deadline for her to take the exam/exams. Also do you know anyone who went from Nursing to Grad Med from either personal Exprerience or on TSR? She is really passionate about a career in Medicine but is worried that she will be sidelined to those who come from science heavy degrees eg.Biochem etc.

In your experience which uni is the 'easiest' per se to get into?

Thanks Again
Thanks I will pass on the advice to her. Regarding preparation for entrance exams when is the deadline for her to take the exam/exams. Also do you know anyone who went from Nursing to Grad Med from either personal Exprerience or on TSR? She is really passionate about a career in Medicine but is worried that she will be sidelined to those who come from science heavy degrees eg.Biochem etc.

ForestCat
x

Perhaps ForestCat can assist :smile:

They're all difficult, but Warwick is probably the 'easiest' in terms of open access to all disciplines, the most places (therefore lower competition ratios, usually), and the lowest admission score required for interview. It depends on whether you think the GAMSAT or UKCAT is more to your strengths as some people may find getting good GAMSAT scores easier than getting an average UKCAT score.
(edited 8 years ago)

Thanks Again

MJK is spot on, there's no easy GEM courses to get on.

If she wants to take UKCAT, it will be around this time next year (July-October 2016). For GAMSAT, it depends on how confident she is with the sciences, she could sit in March 2016 (confident) or September 2016 (less confident, so more time to revise).

Biochem degrees aren't favoured more than nursing degrees. If you're degree meets the criteria then it meets the criteria, it isn't looked at further.
Original post by liam__
MJK is spot on, there's no easy GEM courses to get on.

If she wants to take UKCAT, it will be around this time next year (July-October 2016). For GAMSAT, it depends on how confident she is with the sciences, she could sit in March 2016 (confident) or September 2016 (less confident, so more time to revise).

Biochem degrees aren't favoured more than nursing degrees. If you're degree meets the criteria then it meets the criteria, it isn't looked at further.

Thanks for that it really helped :smile:. Just out of interest do you know anybody on TSR who has succesfully attained a place from doing nursing beforehand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending