The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B1525
Anyone know how many places they have on the southampton GEM? And how they assess for interview and at interview (MMI, Panel) etc. Looked on the website and can't find it anywhere

-cheers

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/apply.page
Original post by HCAssistant93
When putting module marks for your degree on UCAS do you just put 3rd year marks or 2nd year as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

on that note, I have not registered with ucas yet, do i need to do so before sitting ukcat? also does anyone know if we have to make two accounts on ucas if applying for both GEM and undergrad?
Original post by JDarlo91
on that note, I have not registered with ucas yet, do i need to do so before sitting ukcat? also does anyone know if we have to make two accounts on ucas if applying for both GEM and undergrad?

The UKCAT Registration deadline: 22nd September 2015
UCAS application deadline for medicine: 15th October 2015

No you don't. You have four choices and your fifth choice can be non-medical.

There is a wealth of information available e.g http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/howtoapply/Pages/Application-process.aspx
You could easily have googled the answer to your question.
#justsaying some of the questions asked could easily be googled such as selection process/style , entry requirements etc. and found on the relevant medical school's website, UCAS.com....
Reply 1324
Just did my first mock - Medify easy mock (scored using Kaplan) and got the most hurrendous score I am so upset. 630, 500, 650, 600. What what what.

I'm averaging 770 on Medify for AR but I could barely spot any of the patterns! And I'm on track using emedica, Kaplan and 600Q for 750-800 for DA but on this **** I get 600! 600 on DA when it's my best section!!!

I'm a graduate so I need at least average 700. Ran out of time massively on VR and QR and guessed a lot. Did anyone else do this on this mock?? My exam is in 12 days 😩 HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebuwa
#justsaying some of the questions asked could easily be googled such as selection process/style , entry requirements etc. and found on the relevant medical school's website, UCAS.com....

Tell me about it, the UKCAT sticky thread is the absolute worst thread I've ever seen. It's literally the same 4 or 5 questions that are asked every other page. It'd be a great drinking game though; take a shot every time somebody asks whether x resource is representative of the real exam.
Original post by tw781
Just did my first mock - Medify easy mock (scored using Kaplan) and got the most hurrendous score I am so upset. 630, 500, 650, 600. What what what.

I'm averaging 770 on Medify for AR but I could barely spot any of the patterns! And I'm on track using emedica, Kaplan and 600Q for 750-800 for DA but on this **** I get 600! 600 on DA when it's my best section!!!

I'm a graduate so I need at least average 700. Ran out of time massively on VR and QR and guessed a lot. Did anyone else do this on this mock?? My exam is in 12 days 😩 HELP

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the same situation 😭😭😭😭 whenever I look at that timer I panic and flop everything!!! Earlier today I got 7/44 on VR (emedica). Someone please help me!!!!!!!!!
Original post by liam__
Tell me about it, the UKCAT sticky thread is the absolute worst thread I've ever seen. It's literally the same 4 or 5 questions that are asked every other page. It'd be a great drinking game though; take a shot every time somebody asks whether x resource is representative of the real exam.

Lol I'm glad you agree with me. I thought I was being mean.
Original post by Ebuwa

I think people get that already- this is a place to chat and explore with people who are in the same boat, whether or not the info is on Google.
Original post by Ebuwa

Not as fun as just asking though :-)
If, like me, you have limited choices as to where you can apply. Is it not still worth applying even if you don't get the UKCAT grade. A 'just in case'. Or is applying and failing recorded and then a bad thing for following years.

Just as a lot of people ask 'should I apply with x score' and I think...well yeah why not? Come this far may as well put the application in anyway...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MelissaW_x
I've just taken the UKCAT today and I got the following:

VR 640
QR 720
AR 720
DA 710
SJ Band 1

This works out to an average of 697.5 or 2790 total. I'm pretty gutted at my VR score and know that as GEM is so competitive this is not a strong score to go in with :frown: I have really found the whole test format very difficult to get to grips with!
Does anyone have any opinions of if it is still worth trying to apply to a few GEM school such as Warwick/Southampton? I'm considering taking the BMAT for oxford as I satisfy the other academic requirements.
For background, I current hold a 1st class MChem Chemistry degree and am working as a HCA in mental health.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! x

Couldn't you easily get a well paid job with a first in chemistry?
Original post by rouzbehrh
Couldn't you easily get a well paid job with a first in chemistry?

Everyone in this thread already holds an undergraduate degree (or will shortly). If we wanted to do another job we wouldn't be on the Medicine entry thread!
Original post by adamphilpot
If, like me, you have limited choices as to where you can apply. Is it not still worth applying even if you don't get the UKCAT grade. A 'just in case'. Or is applying and failing recorded and then a bad thing for following years.

Just as a lot of people ask 'should I apply with x score' and I think...well yeah why not? Come this far may as well put the application in anyway...

Most schools won't disadvantage you for multiple applications. IIRC maybe St George's and Liverpool had a limit at one stage? Could be completely wrong. But on the whole the only downside is the application fee for UCAS.

That said, it's a pretty demoralising process of waiting for rejection. If you're miles off the UKCAT from last year (which was comparatively low compared to other years), I wouldn't bother. Just take the hit and reapply, because with a poor UKCAT you won't get an interview. Sad fact.

If you're borderline then by all means go for it.
Just got a reply from Barts admissions

"Thank you for your email.Yes - Masters and PhD's will strengthen an application overall, however as the majority of graduates that apply to us have a 2:1 classification at BSc level, our new ranking system will have minimal effect on those that do not hold PhD's or Masters."
Original post by Rose256

"Thank you for your email.Yes - Masters and PhD's will strengthen an application overall, however as the majority of graduates that apply to us have a 2:1 classification at BSc level, our new ranking system will have minimal effect on those that do not hold PhD's or Masters."

Ok that's interesting! So basically if you have a slightly weaker ukcat and your up against someone with the same ukcat but a masters/PhD then you'd lose out. But if your ukcat was solid then you're ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rose256

Thanks for sharing the info. My UKCAT was not brilliant but I will have a 1st in my BSc and an MSc by then. Best be aiming for a distinction I think.
Just came out my UKCAT. Devastated!!! I totally panicked, don't think I'll be able to apply for GE now
VR: 620
QR: 790
AR: 580
DA: 610
Gutted about AR as I really thought I had managed to get the patterns :frown: so average is 650.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1338
Original post by MJK91
Most schools won't disadvantage you for multiple applications. IIRC maybe St George's and Liverpool had a limit at one stage? Could be completely wrong. But on the whole the only downside is the application fee for UCAS.

That said, it's a pretty demoralising process of waiting for rejection. If you're miles off the UKCAT from last year (which was comparatively low compared to other years), I wouldn't bother. Just take the hit and reapply, because with a poor UKCAT you won't get an interview. Sad fact.

If you're borderline then by all means go for it.

SGUL and Notts will reject you if you have been invited to interview at the respective school twice before.
You can be rejected pre-interview as many times as you like and still have your application considered.
Hi,
I was wondering what the application process was.
Do you apply in your last year of university or after ?
Let's say you apply at the beginning of 3rd year & you receive an offer .What will this offer be?
When I was younger I did want to do medicine but I went to a very bad secondary school (I really wish I moved in year 8) ,I didn't get amazing GCSEs only 4A 2B 2C 1D* .I bombed my alevels & came out with BBB but personally I know I could've done better :frown:
Deep down there's something in me that wants it but there's another part saying you're not good enough .It seems the med applicants at my school had incredible statistics .In my head there's a voice saying "you're not good enough".
I was hoping my alevels would make up for my crappy GCSEs but I let anxiety & family problems get to me.
Sorry for the ramble ,Good luck everyone whichever stage you're at.Hope to follow in your footsteps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending