The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

For those of you applying for 5 year courses, how are you funding it?
Reply 1761
Original post by dancingfaery
For those of you applying for 5 year courses, how are you funding it?

I'm guessing either savings or being from a very wealthy family! I'm so jealous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys. I'm also applying this year. Applying to Nottingham SGUL Swansea and Exeter with a GAMSAT of 61. Good luck to all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently studying at Warwick -have my Ukcat coming up soon. I'm thinking of applying to 2 grad unis and 2 undergrad unis. Do you think this is a good idea? I know graduate is so hard to get into, even more so than undergrad.

Also, can you take a loan out for undergrad medicine if you've already ready taken a loan out for another degree (biomed).

My parents want to pay in full but I'd feel bad ?
Original post by AFC_123456789
I'm currently studying at Warwick -have my Ukcat coming up soon. I'm thinking of applying to 2 grad unis and 2 undergrad unis. Do you think this is a good idea? I know graduate is so hard to get into, even more so than undergrad.

Also, can you take a loan out for undergrad medicine if you've already ready taken a loan out for another degree (biomed).

If you can afford it, applying to UG courses can provide a better chance of getting in as there are more places available.
You can get a maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan, so you'd need to find a minimum of £36k for fees, that is if your maintenance loan would fully cover your living costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much do you guys think having the additional 25% extra time on the UKCATSEN would help?
Original post by prospectmedic
How much do you guys think having the additional 25% extra time on the UKCATSEN would help?

If you're allowed it, get it. Time is an absent currency during the UKCAT.
Original post by AFC_123456789

Hey, I'm at Warwick too! What are you studying? Also, I would definitely say apply to UG as well if you can afford it. UG is a lot less competitive than GEM after all!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by prospectmedic

As the other person said, if you can get it it's definitely worth it. I got 765.5 and know I wouldn't have done that well without the extra time
Hey guys has anyone taken bmat before ? I've got ukcat soon but i always run out of time. I'm going to try bmat aswell so at least i can appy to brighton and imperial undergrd if i dont do well in my ukcat ! i was interviewed in brighton before and i really prefer panel interviews over multiple mini interviews! What do you think of bmat
Original post by wciselko
Wow that's an amazing score! where are you applying? hopefully not the same unis as me :biggrin:
and yeah get the extra time - you don't get full 25% though as they distribute it with a bias (for example you get 1 minute extra for the breaks inbetween the sections but only 30 seconds extra in the abstract reasoning so be aware of that!)

Thanks, I'm super pleased with it :smile: I'm applying to all graduate entry courses, Warwick and Southampton with UKCAT, and Swansea and Cardiff with GAMSAT.
Original post by wciselko
Ok, so I'm only applying to Southampton out of those haha :biggrin: I got 732.5 so maybe I will see you at the interview! (fingers crossed)

That's a great score too :smile: yeah, fingers crossed!
How much work experience does everyone have? Overall I have 2 weeks shadowing in hospitals and 7 months volunteering in a care home. I've seen other people with years of experience and am kinda worried now.
Original post by DoeADeer
How much work experience does everyone have? Overall I have 2 weeks shadowing in hospitals and 7 months volunteering in a care home. I've seen other people with years of experience and am kinda worried now.

I've only done a week shadowing doctors and I've been working as a care worker for the last three years during the holidays. So I've got about 7 months experience over the past two years.

I have been working as a nurse since qualifying in 2014. I have worked in medical and surgical wards, diabetes clinic, scrubbing, HDU and mental health.
I have also shadowed doctors and volunteered as a record keeper
Hey, I just took my UKCAT on Thursday and got a score of 737.5 - I'm pleased but as I'm really keen on Newcastle a little nervous too, do people think it'll be high enough for Newcastle?
Original post by LilithSternin
Hey, I just took my UKCAT on Thursday and got a score of 737.5 - I'm pleased but as I'm really keen on Newcastle a little nervous too, do people think it'll be high enough for Newcastle?

Should be fine for Newcastle, it's above last years cutoff.
Original post by liam__
Should be fine for Newcastle, it's above last years cutoff.

Thanks so much! Just out of interest, what was Newcastle's cutoff for GEM last year?
Original post by LilithSternin
Thanks so much! Just out of interest, what was Newcastle's cutoff for GEM last year?

Not sure exactly, but if memory serves it was between 720 and 730.

Yours seems pretty good to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending