Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could getting ABB at AS affect my university application? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm kind of worried about my results for AS, I was expecting AAAB or even AABB, but instead I got ABBD. I'm dropping the subject I got D in which is chemistry, I'm also getting my English remarked as I got lower than I expected. I just wanted to ask if getting ABB at as level can affect my university choices. For example could I apply to unis such as Bristol or UCL. I know the entry requirements are AAA/A*AA, so could I be at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefulcici)
    Hi there,

I'm kind of worried about my results for AS, I was expecting AAAB or even AABB, but instead I got ABBD. I'm dropping the subject I got D in which is chemistry, I'm also getting my English remarked as I got lower than I expected. I just wanted to ask if getting ABB at as level can affect my university choices. For example could I apply to unis such as Bristol or UCL. I know the entry requirements are AAA/A*AA, so could I be at a disadvantage.
    You have to put your AS results down on your UCAS application, so yes I'd say you would be at a disadvantage at places like UCL where students will be applying with straight A's.

ReputationRep:
    There have been 1000 of these threads already, just look around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    You have to put your AS results down on your UCAS application, so yes I'd say you would be at a disadvantage at places like UCL where students will be applying with straight A's.

So would you saying getting ABB would be bad AS results when applying to top Russell groups Universities?

ReputationRep:
    So would you saying getting ABB would be bad AS results when applying to top Russell groups Universities?
    What are you classing as "top" RG universities? ABB aren't bad grades, and you could maybe get offers from places like Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester, etc (which are still good universities).

ReputationRep:
    Mate, ABBD are excellent grades for AS.
    Like someone above said, there are thousands of threads like this where AS students with really good grades are worried about A2.
    A lot of us got C's and D's at AS and ended up with A*s at A-level! It's definitely possible, just keep on top of all your notes, resit any exam you feel like bring up your overall grade and work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    What are you classing as "top" RG universities? ABB aren't bad grades, and you could maybe get offers from places like Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester, etc (which are still good universities).

Probably universities that are high in the university league tables. The only reason I'm concerned about it the university is that, I'm planning on doing psychology at uni, but so many people do it nowadays, so much so it's losing it's value, so I think when it comes to a job in the future, employers might look at what university you went to. Also I really like Bristol uni, and I know it's quite academically high, so I just wanted to know if with good predictions and retaking a few exams could I get into it. But Thanks for the advice anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    Mate, ABBD are excellent grades for AS.
    Like someone above said, there are thousands of threads like this where AS students with really good grades are worried about A2.
    A lot of us got C's and D's at AS and ended up with A*s at A-level! It's definitely possible, just keep on top of all your notes, resit any exam you feel like bring up your overall grade and work hard!

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I just have a very worrying personality I guess .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I just have a very worrying personality I guess .
    It's perfectly understandable, we all worry! Best thing to do is speak to your teachers when you get back to college.
    In all honesty though, don't worry too much about your grades affecting your application. Your predicted grades and personal statement are also important in making an impression so as long they're in good order, your AS grades won't stand out too much!
    My AS grades were terrible but they got me offers from all five choices so you see? You can do this!

ReputationRep:
    Probably universities that are high in the university league tables. The only reason I'm concerned about it the university is that, I'm planning on doing psychology at uni, but so many people do it nowadays, so much so it's losing it's value, so I think when it comes to a job in the future, employers might look at what university you went to. Also I really like Bristol uni, and I know it's quite academically high, so I just wanted to know if with good predictions and retaking a few exams could I get into it. But Thanks for the advice anyways
    ABB at A-level would put you in good stead to go to a very good University. Nottingham, Bristol, Sheffield, SOAS and Queen Mary are all within your reach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mochassassin)
    It's perfectly understandable, we all worry! Best thing to do is speak to your teachers when you get back to college.
    In all honesty though, don't worry too much about your grades affecting your application. Your predicted grades and personal statement are also important in making an impression so as long they're in good order, your AS grades won't stand out too much!
    My AS grades were terrible but they got me offers from all five choices so you see? You can do this!
    Haha Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.