Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I got ABBb for my results so im going to remark/resit the B which i got in chemistry, meanwhile the second B was in geography which i got Bs in several exams so will be tough to retake so i was wondering if i could sit a completely different AS+A2 a level and hopefully get an A and still apply for medicine with that? Would my application still be considered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khizchilling)
    Hi,
    I got ABBb for my results so im going to remark/resit the B which i got in chemistry, meanwhile the second B was in geography which i got Bs in several exams so will be tough to retake so i was wondering if i could sit a completely different AS+A2 a level and hopefully get an A and still apply for medicine with that? Would my application still be considered?

It's possible, I have known this to be done, but the unis keep changing their policies.

You really do need to talk to them individually to see if they would find this acceptable.
    Some require you to have sat all the a-levels that your offer is based on within the same 2 years, some within 3. Some will not consider any variation from the norm, as this is an easy way of filtering applicants (seems unfair, I know); all unis have different methods of narrowing down the field. There is huge variation in methods used to decide on who they offer an interview to, and huge variation in what they will consider.
    You will need to do your research and apply strategically, but I see no reason why this option should be dismissed out of hand.

If you can talk to admissions tutors and find some who sound flexible and don't shut you down right away, it might also be a good idea to apply to their unis once you have all your A2s in hand as this is a much stronger position for application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    It's possible, I have known this to be done, but the unis keep changing their policies.

You really do need to talk to them individually to see if they would find this acceptable.
    Some require you to have sat all the a-levels that your offer is based on within the same 2 years, some within 3. Some will not consider any variation from the norm, as this is an easy way of filtering applicants (seems unfair, I know); all unis have different methods of narrowing down the field. There is huge variation in methods used to decide on who they offer an interview to, and huge variation in what they will consider.
    You will need to do your research and apply strategically, but I see no reason why this option should be dismissed out of hand.

If you can talk to admissions tutors and find some who sound flexible and don't shut you down right away, it might also be a good idea to apply to their unis once you have all your A2s in hand as this is a much stronger position for application.
    Thanks, yeah i guess ill have to do some more research!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khizchilling)
    Thanks, yeah i guess ill have to do some more research!
    Do not waste your time trawling through the internet and reading various people's opinions; they're not facts. What you really need to do, as soon as possible, is physically telephone the admissions departments of the universities you're interested in, and ask them what their policies are on this.

By phoning you get a direct, fast response, instead of waiting weeks for an email which may not be that clear, needing another email. Then you'll know exactly what position you're in and where you can go from there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.