The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to top Unis with two As with 90% & two Cs at AS level?

Hello,

I recently received:

A (95.5%) for History
A (91.1%) for Religious Studies
C (62%) for Economics
C (68.5%) for French

in my AS examinations.

I had been predicted an A for French and a B for Economics, but they just went AWFULLY and I really overdid the extra-curriculars last year, taking all my vocational Intermediate dance exams, four choir practises a week, making my confirmation, the challenge et cetera, et cetera... :-(

I will hopefully be predicted A*A*B next year for A Level- is it worth applying to the top unis still e.g. Oxford, Durham, UCL?
I will also be predicted an A*/A for my EPQ.

Alternatively, I could ask to take my whole English Literature A Level next year, dropping the subjects in which I received Cs, as I made a huge mistake in not taking it this year, as I found it the easiest at GCSE( I got A*s in Lit&Lang).

I know this was a long post, but thank you if you reply!

Elderflower_ :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
What are you hoping to apply for?
Reply 2
I should have put that, sorry, silly me, Classics/ Classical studies :-) And I was hoping to learn Latin as a beginner as part of my it but my French grade is not exactly promising...
I got a C in AS French that then got remarked to a B.

I did however get 3 As as well as it!

You will need to be predicted an A, just so you can meet the AAA requirements - other than that it shouldn't affect you too badly, the CAT, personal statement and interview will be important in the process. If you can convince Oxford that the Cs were just a blip then you stand a chance :smile:

They interview 95% roughly for Classics so you'll probably get to that stage, then it's just down to you to impress them!
Reply 4
Original post by Lucilou101
I got a C in AS French that then got remarked to a B.

I did however get 3 As as well as it!

You will need to be predicted an A, just so you can meet the AAA requirements - other than that it shouldn't affect you too badly, the CAT, personal statement and interview will be important in the process. If you can convince Oxford that the Cs were just a blip then you stand a chance :smile:

They interview 95% roughly for Classics so you'll probably get to that stage, then it's just down to you to impress them!

So you would recommend getting mine remarked? Okay, I won't settle for less then. Oh gosh I hope so, and I suppose Economics isn't really that relevant anyway! Are predicted grades more important than AS results then do you think? Thank you for your help, I have been so glum since I found out my results...:-)
It's completely up to you whether you remark or not :smile: you're only 1.5% off a B in French so check with your teachers first!

Economics is fine as a 4th, predicted grades are definitely more important than AS. You basically just need to be able to convince Oxford that you can get AAA :smile:
Reply 6
I think I will! Lots of other people seem to be disappointed with their French results this year! I've spoken to my sixth form head and I am hopefully going to be allowed to swap to English, so hopefully now I will be able to get my last A! And the school says they will explain my mistakes in choosing those subjects 😊😊
Original post by Elderflower_
I think I will! Lots of other people seem to be disappointed with their French results this year! I've spoken to my sixth form head and I am hopefully going to be allowed to swap to English, so hopefully now I will be able to get my last A! And the school says they will explain my mistakes in choosing those subjects

Me included - and the examiner for the speaking exam said I should get an A for it too D<

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending