Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do my year 10 mocks matter? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to start year 10 GCSEs and I was wondering if the mock exams this year actually matter? Obviously they are important but do they count towards which sixth form you go to? Its not that I wouldn't bother if they didn't matter but I'm just interested. I'm taking triple science, maths, further maths (Year 11) english, latin, ancient history, drama, music and astronomy (year 11) so if anyone has any advice for these subjects or just year 10 in general then that would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    No they aren't important but I would advise you revise and try hard at them anyways. My advice is to just keep up with your material and revise when its necessary (ie exam period)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by longsightdon)
    No they aren't important but I would advise you revise and try hard at them anyways. My advice is to just keep up with your material and revise when its necessary (ie exam period)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    They're called mocks for a reason, they're purely a chance to get used to doing GCSE style exams.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The only reason you have year 10 mocks is because to get you ready for your actual GCSEs and it gives your teachers and yourself an overview of your strengths and weaknesses.

ReputationRep:
    Mocks can sometimes be used to decide if a student will be sitting a higher or foundation paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #QueenJess)
    I'm just about to start year 10 GCSEs and I was wondering if the mock exams this year actually matter? Obviously they are important but do they count towards which sixth form you go to? Its not that I wouldn't bother if they didn't matter but I'm just interested. I'm taking triple science, maths, further maths (Year 11) english, latin, ancient history, drama, music and astronomy (year 11) so if anyone has any advice for these subjects or just year 10 in general then that would be great thanks
    Don't worry, they're not massively important

But I'd advise you to still revise for them like they were any other exam, because then they're a good judge of how you're doing at that subject and you can then see if you're struggling at certain topics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #QueenJess)
    In most situations, Year 10 mocks don't really matter as long as you pick yourself up and knuckle down for the real exams. However, it all depends upon your school; if you're opting for a more 'selective' sixth form/college then your school usually will based your GCSE predictions off the back of these mocks, which was the case in my school, as many people were disheartened when they didn't get the predictions they needed for the selective school as they had literally just turned up for the Mocks. I would confirm this query with your school and actually ask them what they base their predictions off as some schools might just go on the presumption that they have taught you for long enough to have a rough idea what you'll actually achieve.

As for tips for English; become an avid reader, it will do tremendously in developing your vocabulary and general comprehension of the subject. Also, when you get your texts, don't be afraid to annotate/highlight them (if the school is fussy offer to buy the book at a reduced rate as its second hand) so going over them for revision is much easier.

ReputationRep:
    There 100% important! If you want to achieve good grades(c ) then the mocks can really help in getting you used to the actual gcse

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.