Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 12, going into year 13 in September. I want to study dentistry and just wondered what dental schools people would recommend? I visited Sheffield and loved it. Queen Mary's too, but not so much. Also, I am really wary about what to include in my personal statement and proving manual dexterity is really worrying me!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EJay28)
    Hi, I'm currently in year 12, going into year 13 in September. I want to study dentistry and just wondered what dental schools people would recommend? I visited Sheffield and loved it. Queen Mary's too, but not so much. Also, I am really wary about what to include in my personal statement and proving manual dexterity is really worrying me!
    Thanks
    Hello EJay28,

First off, congratulations on the AS grades you have achieved.

Sheffield is a great university to study Dentistry at. Similar universities to Sheffield are Manchester and Plymouth. They have a very similar course structure. KCL is also great, but people say it lacks practical work and is mainly lecture based. Sheffield and Plymouth from my knowledge have a lot of hands-on activities and get you ready for clinic within year 1 which is a huge advantage compared to other schools.

The personal statement and interview are the key to your application to most dental schools. If you let me know some time nearer to your application process I may be able to guide you through it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EJay28)
    Thanks
    Have you checked out this web page and drop down links on TSR - really useful.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry
    All UK dental schools are fab and ranking tables have little relevance for dentistry, so those that people recommend are often based on personal preference. As you know dentistry is hugely competitive and so applicants often apply tactically to where they think they have the best chance of interview. If you have a sound application then apply to the schools that most appealed when you visited - your enthusiasm for those unis will show at interview.
    I see you have only visited 2 dental schools, which is a shame. My advice, especially to those reading this and going into year 12, is to go to as many open days as possible, even make an effort to those which are not top of your list. The talks you will hear give loads of general helpful advice on applying and you will also be able to compare dental schools and get a sense of which school would be best for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lois griffin)
    All UK dental schools are fab and ranking tables have little relevance for dentistry, so those that people recommend are often based on personal preference. As you know dentistry is hugely competitive and so applicants often apply tactically to where they think they have the best chance of interview. If you have a sound application then apply to the schools that most appealed when you visited - your enthusiasm for those unis will show at interview.
    I see you have only visited 2 dental schools, which is a shame. My advice, especially to those reading this and going into year 12, is to go to as many open days as possible, even make an effort to those which are not top of your list. The talks you will hear give loads of general helpful advice on applying and you will also be able to compare dental schools and get a sense of which school would be best for you.
    Good advice this ^

ReputationRep:
    Obviously i'm biased, but let me put a few things out there about Barts/QM (we call it barts).

Firstly, the new dental school is amazing, the facilities really are second to none and we're having a third outreach centre built in the olympic village at stratford.
    The new curriculum is now coming into it's third year, meaning that all the little problems and niggles will have been sorted out. We haven't lost any students since the new curriculum has come in. Which is pretty impressive. We also do a lot of our own lab work, including casting and mounting study models and manufacturing full and partial dentures. No other uni gets you to do lab work in the same way that Barts does and it's really good for giving you an appreciation of what happens after you've taken an impression and sent it to the lab out in practice. It means you can talk to the lab techs on their own level and you can even do some of the work yourself if you need/want to.

The pastoral care is really what makes barts special in my opinion though. You are supported so well through absolutely everything you do. You have mentors, PASS mentors who help you with content from the first year lectures etc, personal tutors and a whole host of other pastoral staff. We also spend a lot of time mentoring kids from local schools who want to do medicine and dentistry etc. If it tickles your fancy, you can intercalate and get a one year masters as well as your BDS. Barts is also ranked number 1 at the moment (not that rankings mean anything).

Having said all of that, all dental schools are fab. There really aren't any bad ones. Weigh up all the advice you get given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAre Teh Lejend)
    Hello EJay28,

First off, congratulations on the AS grades you have achieved.

Sheffield is a great university to study Dentistry at. Similar universities to Sheffield are Manchester and Plymouth. They have a very similar course structure. KCL is also great, but people say it lacks practical work and is mainly lecture based. Sheffield and Plymouth from my knowledge have a lot of hands-on activities and get you ready for clinic within year 1 which is a huge advantage compared to other schools.

The personal statement and interview are the key to your application to most dental schools. If you let me know some time nearer to your application process I may be able to guide you through it
    That would be great if you could guide me through the application process 😄 Also thanks for the advise on dental schools ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)
    Obviously i'm biased, but let me put a few things out there about Barts/QM (we call it barts).

Firstly, the new dental school is amazing, the facilities really are second to none and we're having a third outreach centre built in the olympic village at stratford.
    The new curriculum is now coming into it's third year, meaning that all the little problems and niggles will have been sorted out. We haven't lost any students since the new curriculum has come in. Which is pretty impressive. We also do a lot of our own lab work, including casting and mounting study models and manufacturing full and partial dentures. No other uni gets you to do lab work in the same way that Barts does and it's really good for giving you an appreciation of what happens after you've taken an impression and sent it to the lab out in practice. It means you can talk to the lab techs on their own level and you can even do some of the work yourself if you need/want to.

The pastoral care is really what makes barts special in my opinion though. You are supported so well through absolutely everything you do. You have mentors, PASS mentors who help you with content from the first year lectures etc, personal tutors and a whole host of other pastoral staff. We also spend a lot of time mentoring kids from local schools who want to do medicine and dentistry etc. If it tickles your fancy, you can intercalate and get a one year masters as well as your BDS. Barts is also ranked number 1 at the moment (not that rankings mean anything).

Having said all of that, all dental schools are fab. There really aren't any bad ones. Weigh up all the advice you get given.
    Yes Barts will definitely be one of my choices!! ☺️ I heard they spent a fortune on the renovations. Yeah the fact that all the dental schools are great makes it more difficult to decide though, haha.
    Thank you 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lois griffin)
    Yes I agree and might try to attend a couple more open days in September.
    The website is really great too, thank you so much ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.