Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ...but i want to go to college mainly down to health reasons and the sort of lax take they have on attendance
    i normally miss school once a month because i go to the hospital for treatment and if i stayed on at my school for sixth form and my attendance would be around 80% (like it was in year 7-11) and i dont wanna get kicked out for nothing. also i dont really want to study bio and chemistry for a level...(my dad chose those) because i have heard if you dont like a subject simply dont take it. But yeah my friends really want me to stay and ill miss them but i just think this is something i gotta do...

ReputationRep:
    It's your life and your future, so it needs to be your decision. I moved schools for sixth form, against the advice of friends, family and school...I've just got A*AAB and a place a Cambridge, and it was the best decision I've ever made. Definitely don't do certain A-levels based on what someone else wants you to do - I think you need to have a conversation with your father and explain to him that it's your life! You need to pick the subjects you want to do, rather than what he wants you to do - generally speaking, if you don't enjoy a subject, you won't have the motivation needed to succeed in it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let your friends decide your future. Do you really wanna be studying subjects you hate for two years (and most likely will end up with bad grades in), just because your friends want you to stay? You can still see them outside of school, no problem. Go to the college.

ReputationRep:
    True guys thanks for the helpful advice and words. i will probably go for the college
    out of any of you have any of you studied bio or chem at a level and how was it? if you didnt thats okay thank you so much though for the help!! x

ReputationRep:
    I did biology for AS and dropped it ASAP because I hated it - I got a C (one mark off a B, though!) Some of my friends seemed to enjoy it though, I think the syllabus can be quite interesting if you're into that stuff, but I got bored and didn't understand it, so it wasn't for me. You could look up the specification online and see if it appeals to you?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do bio or chem, I'm more of a humanities person. Sorry I can't help more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DAtgirlxox)
    ...but i want to go to college mainly down to health reasons and the sort of lax take they have on attendance
    i normally miss school once a month because i go to the hospital for treatment and if i stayed on at my school for sixth form and my attendance would be around 80% (like it was in year 7-11) and i dont wanna get kicked out for nothing. also i dont really want to study bio and chemistry for a level...(my dad chose those) because i have heard if you dont like a subject simply dont take it. But yeah my friends really want me to stay and ill miss them but i just think this is something i gotta do...
    I recommend not doing something because your friends want you to do it or because your friends will be doing it with you. I made that mistake when I was younger and had less confidence in myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosieEPQ)
    I did biology for AS and dropped it ASAP because I hated it - I got a C (one mark off a B, though!) Some of my friends seemed to enjoy it though, I think the syllabus can be quite interesting if you're into that stuff, but I got bored and didn't understand it, so it wasn't for me. You could look up the specification online and see if it appeals to you?
    ahh i see thanks for the reply and same here with me i hate it i hate science and shouldnt even have studied triple science for gcse my dad told me to do it but i really dont even need bio or chem for my chosen career path and course so i wont slave for a pointless a level grade. however my dad wants me to study medicine or biochemistry or soemthing at uni and i really dont want to weve talked and hes agreed to let me choose what i wanna do.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.