The Student Room Group

Choosing a levels

Is this a good a-level combination and how hard will it be to study?

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
English Language

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Tasneem8536
Is this a good a-level combination and how hard will it be to study?

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
English Language

Thank you

The jump between GCSE Physics and A level physics is considered to be the largest so don't take it unless you're confident. Looks good if you'd like to do something sciencey at Uni, all very respected subjects.
What were your GCSE grades? Because maths, physics and chemsitry are some of the most challenging A level subjects.
Reply 3
If you think you can cope they sound fine! Just be aware of the work load that comes with these subjects, I took Maths because it had always been my strongest subject at GCSE and I enjoyed it since I did well in it. However, when it came to AS Level I flunked it really hard. What I'm trying to say here really is make sure you have a genuine passion and interest in the subjects you pick because for me I discovered I didn't like Maths at all, what I actually enjoyed was being good at maths and that wasn't enough to get me through my AS as the workload of it combined with my other subjects meant I just didn't have the time to succeed in maths and put in the effort I needed to pass. I remember when I was reading advice when I picked my A-levels and just thought 'I got an A in Maths at GCSE without revising, I'll be fine' so I hope you take this advice a lot more seriously than I did when I was younger.

Another thing I would say is if you have an idea of what course you want to do at university you could potentially pick a 'softer' subject as a backup in case one of the more difficult subjects is too much for you, realistically most universities only care about you having 3 A-levels, and out of those most universities either want UCAS points or they want an X grade in (insert subject here) and two grades in two A-levels that don't necessarily have to be relevant unless you are applying for an elite university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chrasty
The jump between GCSE Physics and A level physics is considered to be the largest so don't take it unless you're confident. Looks good if you'd like to do something sciencey at Uni, all very respected subjects.

really? I found the jump from gcse to a level physics the smallest (french was the largest imo), at the beginning of year 12 we just did stuff we'd already done in more detail.

and to the OP if you're willing to work hard and you like all the subjects then yeah go for it, they're all good subjects
Reply 5
Thank you all for your replies.
I got A's in maths, physics and english and an A* in chemistry.

I don't mind chemistry, maths and english but physics is worrying me. So many people have been telling me how hard it is and, whereas I was confident before, i'm not so sure anymore.

If I were to drop chemistry, what subject would be a good alternative?
Reply 6
Thank you all for your replies.
I got A's in maths, physics and english and an A* in chemistry.

I don't mind chemistry, maths and english but physics is worrying me. So many people have been telling me how hard it is and, whereas I was confident before, i'm not so sure anymore.

If I were to drop chemistry, what subject would be a good alternative?

I'm thinking of studying computer science..
Are you planning on taking 4 subjects to A2? If not you could stick with these and drop one at A2.
Reply 8
Original post by Unknown_user
Are you planning on taking 4 subjects to A2? If not you could stick with these and drop one at A2.

I'm definitely dropping one at A2. It's between english and chemistry.

What about Maths, chemistry, English and computing?
Reply 9
I would suggest to swap English with something else.

It has a large contrast with the other subjects, both in terms of content and exam/coursework style.

This makes life a bit more difficult than all your subjects having a similar content/exam style, where it is easy to move from one subject to the next ('smooth transition').

You could argue 'but it keeps more doors open', but I would argue that by A-level you should only have one door open, as when you are going thru all the crap of studying you want a clear end goal to focus on to get you thru it. Plus worrying about your future can be a big distraction.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Scott.M
I would suggest to swap English with something else.

It has a large contrast with the other subjects, both in terms of content and exam/coursework style.

This makes life a bit more difficult than all your subjects having a similar content/exam style, where it is easy to move from one subject to the next ('smooth transition').

You could argue 'but it keeps more doors open', but I would argue that by A-level you should only have one door open, as when you are going thru all the crap of studying you want a clear end goal to focus on to get you thru it. Plus worrying about your future can be a big distraction.

Spoiler

Thanks for the advice but english language is the one subject that I actually love, so i'm taking it because I love it :biggrin:
I've got to have at least one lesson to look forward to :P

Physics, maths, chemistry and english? Should I go for that?
Original post by Tasneem8536
Thanks for the advice but english language is the one subject that I actually love, so i'm taking it because I love it :biggrin:
I've got to have at least one lesson to look forward to :P

Physics, maths, chemistry and english? Should I go for that?

Ahh fair enough, if you love it then the fact it is a bit different to the others won't matter much. :P

Do you need physics to apply for your chosen degree?
Reply 12
Original post by Scott.M
Ahh fair enough, if you love it then the fact it is a bit different to the others won't matter much. :P

Do you need physics to apply for your chosen degree?

It's not a requirement no, but people have gotten to me. "Take physics, you need physics, i regret not taking physics etc."
I knew what I wanted at the beginning of summer and now I'm right back where I started.

I think I might go for Maths, Chemistry, English and computing... Do you think that would work? Does it seem like a 'dodgy' combination?

Thank you so much for your answers btw, I appreciate it :smile:
I suppose you could risk physics as you could always drop it, but I know from most people I hear from, the physics class at their college will tend to start with 30 people in AS, then drop to below 10 in A2. :tongue:

And some very smart people in my 6th form, who got cambridge interviews and A*s/As in other subjects, only got a B in physics. But then again my cousin got an A* so it is do-able.

But I just think, why risk it and why give yourself extra work when you don't seem that bothered about the subject and don't need it for uni? Why not just do something 'easier' like computing as you said. :biggrin:

So ye Maths, Chem, English and Computing sound good to me! Or you could become a 'med/dent' subject person, and take biology instead of computing, in order to keep the medicine/dentistry options open (as I believe most med/dent schools require biology to at least AS-level).

And no problem, happy to help. :smile: I know how hard it is to choose, lol.
Reply 14
Biology is the one subject that I refuse to take; I just don't enjoy it :P

I think i'll stick with those choices then and ditch physics.
Thank you, you have no idea how much you've helped :smile:
When you say computing do you mean IT? If so that's okay because certainly at my school it has less exams and more coursework so that means you will have less exams etc and it isn't as demanding as physics so you won't be as stressed.

Quick Reply

Latest