Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to do this course in September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndunleavy)
    Anyone going to do this course in September?
    I did this course last year and ended up putting in a transfer to straight CS (first year again.... )this year. It may be called Maths and Computer science in name but in first year you only do 2 Computer Science modules, one of which is zero weighted.

The only Computer Science you will do in the first year is Java programming. 5 hours of Computer Science a week.

I'm sure you knew most of this already but if you're undecided like I was and doing Maths and CS with the possibility of dropping one at the end of first year- you can't do this.

I would have liked to have known this before I enrolled so I'm just passing on some friendly tips

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. There is very little information about this course on the qub website so all info is very welcome! I don't mind that the amount of computer science is very small compared to the maths as I am more interested in mathematics.

It is really nice of you to take the time to let me know about this course. I hope you enjoy the rest of computer science and I suppose I'll see you in some of my classes

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Computer Science next month at Queens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doing computer science too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris27blue)
    Doing computer science too
    I'll be a peer mentor this year, but as a ( sort of ) first year student... Weird but cool!

Look out for me in the purple mentor hoody in your/our first lectures!

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you do computer science at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndunleavy)
    Did any of you do computer science at A-level?
    Unfortunately not. It wasnt offered in my school..

ReputationRep:
    Mine either. They started offering it the year after I chose my A-levels

ReputationRep:
    I did a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT instead of A Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDanny 117)
    I did this course last year and ended up putting in a transfer to straight CS (first year again.... )this year. It may be called Maths and Computer science in name but in first year you only do 2 Computer Science modules, one of which is zero weighted.

The only Computer Science you will do in the first year is Java programming. 5 hours of Computer Science a week.

I'm sure you knew most of this already but if you're undecided like I was and doing Maths and CS with the possibility of dropping one at the end of first year- you can't do this.

I would have liked to have known this before I enrolled so I'm just passing on some friendly tips
    Hello i am also looking in Computer Science, could you tell me what grades you achieved to see if i have a chance?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.