Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all please please do not give me the grief my friends have, telling me my results are 'fine' because I am upset with them, because I know I am capable of better.

AABC

Business studies: Grade A :187 UMS - Happy!

Media studies: Grade A: 172 UMS - Happy!

English language: Grade B: 156 UMS - Not happy

Photography: Grade C : 138 UMS - devastated

Basically for English I am 4 UMS off the next grade, and photography I am 2 UMS off the next grade. I was predicted A for all subjects. Is it worth asking the sixth form to send the things off for remark?

What I want remarking:
    ARTF1 Photography Unit 1 : Grade C: 64 UMS
    ARTF2 Photography Unit 2: Grade B: 74 UMS
    ENGB2: Creating texts: Grade C: 51 UMS

anything linked? All coursework elements. Every exam I got A. Which to me shows it isn't lack of knowledge where my grades dipped. Please don't accuse me of being 'lazy' as I worked my backside off in coursework. As the 89 UMS in media coursework proves. My English teacher marked my coursework and told me I had a very high B /low A. It came back as a low C. Hmmm.

Photography teacher told me I'd easily done enough for an A. Got a low C and Low B. C overall.

Is it worth the remark? I am very upset, because I did EVERYTHING the teachers told me to. I put in lots of extra work. But my issue is...was it poor marking, or perhaps poor teaching?

Everyone in my English saw their coursework grades plummet. Suggesting we hadn't done something we needed to. Perhaps suggesting the teacher hadn't told us to do that thing? There were 16 of us in the class by the end, and getting the teachers attention and getting him to spend worthwhile time explaining the task was a nightmare. I did the absolute best I could, doing everything I had been told. So I'm not happy with the C. Not when I got 105/120 in the exam.

My photography teacher saw me CRY because I was so stressed about the subject. I put so much extra time into that subject. ALL my frees were dedicated to it. Yet I have one huge grudge. The teacher didn't teach. He was always 'too busy' to check my sketchbook. 'You'll be fine' was his favourite thing to say. I kept begging him to have a quick look through, to make sure it was okay. But he was always 'too busy' my unit 1 sketchbook I barely ever saw he took so long 'getting around' to marking it. But my biggest issue with it all, was he said I'd get an A. That I had done enough. Apparently though he gave me a B and a C. I am absolutely distraught. For one thing it's completely knocked whatever confidence in my photography, and secondly I don't WANT a C.

AAAB I would be happy with. Would you personally risk the remark? (I am probably dropping photography in favour of economics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    First of all please please do not give me the grief my friends have, telling me my results are 'fine' because I am upset with them, because I know I am capable of better.

Business studies: Grade A :187 UMS - Happy!
    Media studies: Grade A: 172 UMS - Happy!
    English language: Grade B: 156 UMS - Not happy
    Photography: Grade C : 138 UMS - devastated

What I want remarking:
    ARTF1 Photography Unit 1 : Grade C: 64 UMS
    ARTF2 Photography Unit 2: Grade B: 74 UMS
    ENGB2: Creating texts: Grade C: 51 UMS

anything linked? All coursework elements. Every exam I got A. Which to me shows it isn't lack of knowledge where my grades dipped. Please don't accuse me of being 'lazy' as I worked my backside off in coursework. As the 89 UMS in media coursework proves. My English teacher marked my coursework and told me I had a very high B /low A. It came back as a low C. Hmmm.
    For centre marked externally, moderated coursework you can't get a re-mark. If the centre's marking has been changed on moderation then they can pay for re--moderation of the everyone's work but you cannot request an individual re-mark of your work. Talk you your school to see if they are considering re-moderation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    For centre marked externally, moderated coursework you can't get a re-mark. If the centre's marking has been changed on moderation then they can pay for re--moderation of the everyone's work but you cannot request an individual re-mark of your work. Talk you your school to see if they are considering re-moderation.
    I don't think it's the moderation that dragged my grade down. I think it was my teacher basically lying to me and being a jobs-worth. So basically I have to accept thanks to a completely useless tutor I can just as well kiss the B goodbye? Just as well I am dropping his subject then. I will make 100% sure to the college what I think about his standard of teaching. Though his excuse is 'I am an art teacher, I'm not a trained photography teacher'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy)
    I don't think it's the moderation that dragged my grade down. I think it was my teacher basically lying to me and being a jobs-worth. So basically I have to accept thanks to a completely useless tutor I can just as well kiss the B goodbye? Just as well I am dropping his subject then. I will make 100% sure to the college what I think about his standard of teaching. Though his excuse is 'I am an art teacher, I'm not a trained photography teacher'
    Schools are required to have a policy on how they deal with complaints about coursework marking so they can't just ignore you. They're all basically the same as the DFE produced a suggested template about 8 years ago which almost everyone used. Ask to see it.

ReputationRep:
    Most universities don't care about you having a 4th A Level so maybe just drop photography considering you don't like the teacher or his style of teaching. You spoke of picking up Economics but unless you're going to apply for an elite university I doubt it will mean much and will just be additional stress. If you pick up economics will you be doing the whole two year course in one year? Or will you just be completing the AS? If you're just going to complete the AS it seems even more irrelevant to do in my opinion.

You're happy with your two A's obviously so the only other thing to address is the B in English. If you're only 4UMS off the grade you need to consider a few things, firstly are there any modules there you could resit that you think you will do better in? Remembering next year you will likely be more focused on the new content and exams rather than past resits. Then you need to ask yourself are you better off just leaving it at a B and working hard next year? Unless you're looking for an A* you could likely just pick up the 4UMS in your English exams / coursework next year which saves you the stress and worry of having to resit another exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Schools are required to have a policy on how they deal with complaints about coursework marking so they can't just ignore you. They're all basically the same as the DFE produced a suggested template about 8 years ago which almost everyone used. Ask to see it.
    I will do. Thank you for the advice ^^ I have enrolment for the second year on Wednesday, and I will be able to speak to my form tutor. I am lucky that she knows how hard I worked. Honestly, I can accept when I don't deserve a grade. In GCSE's I got some A's where I should have gotten A*'s (one was marked up in the end) but that was my fault for doing the 'I'll just hope it doesn't turn up in the exam'. It's the fact that I got all A's (high A's at that) in all exams I sat that makes me believe I knew my stuff. I don't know I guess the C has given me a very firm push to follow a degree in international business and not photography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexJN)
    You spoke of picking up Economics but unless you're going to apply for an elite university I doubt it will mean much and will just be additional stress. If you pick up economics will you be doing the whole two year course in one year? Or will you just be completing the AS? If you're just going to complete the AS it seems even more irrelevant to do in my opinion.
    I am looking at Leeds university and Durham as my 'insurance' (It's a great uni, but it I went I wouldn't be able to justify living away from home, as it is 40 minutes by bus, 25 minute drive from home). I would like to pick up economics simply to help myself out. I would like to take international business and finance BSc. It would just be the AS. Honestly if I am truthful, exams don't faze me as much as they should. I know I will revise, and I am lucky to have a brain that retains most stuff first time around. I couldn't deal with just doing 3. I hated free periods enough this year. Having another 3 a week would drive me crazy. Not to mention if I got a double free or something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.