The Student Room Group

HELP !! Will a U at AS make my UCAS application look really bad ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by German123
LOL i think all parents are like that. There is no reason why your parents should frown upon you BTECS as they are qualifictions too. What i means is that it is better to have a qualification than nothing dont you think so too? BTECS are designed for students who learn in a different way and since you did not do good in maths i think they should change their thoughts about this. Some unis dont accept BTECS and thats because their uni course is more rigurous and is designed for the most academic so giving a place for a person who studied a BTEC would definately be a bad idea as the person would struggle and have hardly any exam practice/experience as BTECS are made up of mostly coursework.

I think you should spend time talking to your parents as you need to pick the right path( be it studying a BTEC or A levels) to ensure yourself success. Remember not everyone looks down on BTECS.:smile:

Ok thanks
I can't change that U but I can change my other grades to make them better so yeah i'll just try and improve them.
My parents won't let me do BTEC as I normally do really well in exams.
I do prefer exams though
Original post by Shanzii
Ok thanks
I can't change that U but I can change my other grades to make them better so yeah i'll just try and improve them.
My parents won't let me do BTEC as I normally do really well in exams.
I do prefer exams though

To be honest BTECS are not worthless as they are qualifications but they are worth less as in doing A levels is better than studying a BTEC as some people/uni disregard them.

Do what suits you and dont let the opinions of your parents get to you as you said it yourself they dont know that studying A levels is like hell......Just make sure you think wisely and make a wise decision/choice.:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by German123
To be honest BTECS are not worthless as they are qualifications but they are worth less as in doing A levels is better than studying a BTEC as some people/uni disregard them.

Do what suits you and dont let the opinions of your parents get to you as you said it yourself they dont know that studying A levels is like hell......Just make sure you think wisely and make a wise decision/choice.:smile:

Thank you for the advice
It's been very helpful :smile:
I got BCE in my AS (the C is 2UMS away from a B) and I really want to apply for Adult Nursing at Kings & Southampton in particular. What are my actual chances, since my grades are pretty bad?
Original post by Shanzii
Thank you for the advice
It's been very helpful :smile:

:smile:
Some times they ask for 3 A levels and a pass for an AS, but maybe it's not the case for those courses/unis.
Reply 26
Original post by RotatingPhasor
Some times they ask for 3 A levels and a pass for an AS, but maybe it's not the case for those courses/unis.

If that's the case then I'm screwed coz a U is a fail !!! :frown:
Hopefully that's not the case for nursing :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I got BCE in my AS (the C is 2UMS away from a B) and I really want to apply for Adult Nursing at Kings & Southampton in particular. What are my actual chances, since my grades are pretty bad?

Your grades are not bad, in fact I'd prefer to have your grades as I got BDDU :frown:
I'd say that you'd have a better chance than me as you don't have a U which could make your application look bad unlike mine lol
If you resit an exam in the subject where you got an E whilst doing A2 then you should be perfectly fine.
Southampton and King's are quite hard to get into for nursing so I've heard but don't let that deter you from applying. I'll still be applying despite my really bad grades
Reply 28
Original post by Aneesah_May
What were your other a2 grades

Im in the same dilemma

At AS i got AAB - Psychology, Economics + Maths. Managed to get offers from reading, rhul, bristol, exeter, southampton.

Managed to turn it round at A2 and get (somehow) A*AA :smile:

What are you thinking of doing?
Reply 29
From experience, it wouldn't affect your application unless the university requires you to have a certain grade for the 4th AS.
Original post by Jkizer
At AS i got AAB - Psychology, Economics + Maths. Managed to get offers from reading, rhul, bristol, exeter, southampton.

Managed to turn it round at A2 and get (somehow) A*AA :smile:

What are you thinking of doing?

I want to do psychology as well with another subject at Exeter or cardiff, Bangor , Chester, Liverpool and keele but I got abcu
Reply 31
Original post by jsccsx1
From experience, it wouldn't affect your application unless the university requires you to have a certain grade for the 4th AS.

Ok thank you.
They don't require a specific grade for a 4th AS luckily
Original post by Shanzii
Your grades are not bad, in fact I'd prefer to have your grades as I got BDDU :frown:
I'd say that you'd have a better chance than me as you don't have a U which could make your application look bad unlike mine lol
If you resit an exam in the subject where you got an E whilst doing A2 then you should be perfectly fine.
Southampton and King's are quite hard to get into for nursing so I've heard but don't let that deter you from applying. I'll still be applying despite my really bad grades

Thanks! Yours could be a lot worse :smile: I didn't even take 4 subjects though :P yeah, it would be amazing though to study there! It's good to take a chance, and I might even see you there:tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by fairplaytoyou
Thanks! Yours could be a lot worse :smile: I didn't even take 4 subjects though :P yeah, it would be amazing though to study there! It's good to take a chance, and I might even see you there:tongue:

Your welcome and they could be worse. I think I'll take a chance and apply
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest