Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Inexpensive costume advice for Gatsby themed party (Male) watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to a Gatsby themed party before and I'll probably end up attending one in a few weeks time for freshers week. Ideally I don't want to spend a lot of money because I'll be living off student loans as it is and that's all available to me. I'll only be using the outfit for one day too then I'll likely never wear it ever again. What should I buy?!? :chaplin:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Would you recommend buying a suit and hoping I can return it and get a refund? :K:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get a suit, especially at a freshers event it's likely to get ruined. Most universities would be sensible enough to not have an expensive freshers theme.

Is this for a formal dinner type event or a more drinking type thing?

Smart grey trousers (£20)
    Slim fit white shirt (£15)
    Braces (£5)
    Hat (£5)

You can find braces and hats pretty easily at charity shops. Some of them are probably even authentic 20s.

Just for day to day life you'll usually need a decent white shirt and some smart trousers. You could switch the shirt out for a Henley if it's a less formal thing and you want something a little different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narcissist)
    I wouldn't get a suit, especially at a freshers event it's likely to get ruined. Most universities would be sensible enough to not have an expensive freshers theme.

Is this for a formal dinner type event or a more drinking type thing?

Smart grey trousers (£20)
    Slim fit white shirt (£15)
    Braces (£5)
    Hat (£5)

You can find braces and hats pretty easily at charity shops. Some of them are probably even authentic 20s.

Just for day to day life you'll usually need a decent white shirt and some smart trousers. You could switch the shirt out for a Henley if it's a less formal thing and you want something a little different.
    Nice one fella, repped. Will probably end up going with this look, looks simple but good. Should just be a drinking kind of party as opposed to formal dinner and stuff. All these fancy dress events are going to kill my bank account. :happy2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.