Turn on thread page Beta

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

(None of this Hi All rubbish - I'm English and I like the formalities of English as spoken
    in England.)

Please could you help with a question in my son's homework? It is also a fact I would like to know
    about the English language.

Firstly, is it grammatically satisfactory to start a sentence with the word "And . . . "?

Secondly, what does a writer usually try to convey by using "And"? As background to this, my son is
    looking at a past paper for Key Stage
    2. It is a booklet called "Time Trouble". I think one of the questions is, "What do you think the
    writer is trying to convey?"

I will only have a short opportunity to look at the question again in the morning. Does anyone know
    what the right answer should be?

TIA.

It is an archaic formulation: "And did those feet, in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains
    green....etc" Now that the word "and" is used as a conjunction, its archaic use for emphasis has
    fallen into disuse.

If the sentence follows another the use of "And" conveys a continuation of the idea in the previous
    sentence. As such it suggests that there should not be a separate sentence.

If you like the way English is *spoken* in England then "Hi" is more used than "Hello, Ladies and
    Gentlemen."

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 22:10:16 +0000, Michael Wharton <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>(None of this Hi All rubbish - I'm English and I like the formalities of English as spoken in[/q1]
    [q1]>England.)[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Please could you help with a question in my son's homework? It is also a fact I would like to know[/q1]
    [q1]>about the English language.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Firstly, is it grammatically satisfactory to start a sentence with the word "And . . . "?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Secondly, what does a writer usually try to convey by using "And"? As background to this, my son is[/q1]
    [q1]>looking at a past paper for Key Stage[/q1]
    [q1]>2. It is a booklet called "Time Trouble". I think one of the questions is, "What do you think the[/q1]
    [q1]> writer is trying to convey?"[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>I will only have a short opportunity to look at the question again in the morning. Does anyone know[/q1]
    [q1]>what the right answer should be?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>TIA.[/q1]

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.geocities.com/derekmcmillan1951 mirrored at http://derekmcmillan.tripod.com Media Studies
    texts and Shakespeare plays You can contact me using messenger or my email address.

Thanks for correcting me about "Hi".

I'm happy now that I know more about how "and" is used.

Reminds me of a TV programme about the English language which did explain that it is changing and
    some words come and go as dictionaries are updated.

The presenter neatly ended the programme saying something like, "So is English a living, changing
    language, is it?" ......... "I should co-co!"

Thanks.
    - - -

Derek McMillan wrote:

[q1]> It is an archaic formulation: "And did those feet, in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains[/q1]
    [q1]> green....etc" Now that the word "and" is used as a conjunction, its archaic use for emphasis has[/q1]
    [q1]> fallen into disuse.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> If the sentence follows another the use of "And" conveys a continuation of the idea in the[/q1]
    [q1]> previous sentence. As such it suggests that there should not be a separate sentence.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> If you like the way English is *spoken* in England then "Hi" is more used than "Hello, Ladies and[/q1]
    [q1]> Gentlemen." [/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> On Mon, 04 Feb 2002 22:10:16 +0000, Michael Wharton <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >(None of this Hi All rubbish - I'm English and I like the formalities of English as spoken in[/q2]
    [q2]> >England.)[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Please could you help with a question in my son's homework? It is also a fact I would like to[/q2]
    [q2]> >know about the English language.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Firstly, is it grammatically satisfactory to start a sentence with the word "And . . . "?[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >Secondly, what does a writer usually try to convey by using "And"? As background to this, my son[/q2]
    [q2]> >is looking at a past paper for Key Stage[/q2]
    [q2]> >2. It is a booklet called "Time Trouble". I think one of the questions is, "What do you think the[/q2]
    [q2]> > writer is trying to convey?"[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >I will only have a short opportunity to look at the question again in the morning. Does anyone[/q2]
    [q2]> >know what the right answer should be?[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >TIA.[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> -----------------------------------------------[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> http://www.geocities.com/derekmcmillan1951 mirrored at http://derekmcmillan.tripod.com Media[/q1]
    [q1]> Studies texts and Shakespeare plays You can contact me using messenger or my email address.[/q1]

In article <[email protected]>, Michael Wharton <[email protected]> writes
    [q1]>Please could you help with a question in my son's homework? It is also a fact I would like to know[/q1]
    [q1]>about the English language.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>Firstly, is it grammatically satisfactory to start a sentence with the word "And . . . "?[/q1]
    It is not correct to start a sentence with the word 'And', a sentence should be understandable on
    it's own, the prefixing of the word 'And' requires you to know the contents of the previous sentence
    in order to understand the one that starts with the word 'And'.

I have sometimes seen this kind of mistake in American books where anything seems to be correct.
    Surprisingly, this prefix to a sentence was also in Today's Daily Mail.
    --

David Batty

http://www.sectorsoftware.co.uk email [email protected] ICQ 106787612

Learn to touch type: Purchase Touch Typist at http://www.typingtutor.co.uk

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.