Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Quick questions for current UoM students. Are the wristbands worth getting? A friend of mine who goes to a different university tells me they are just a way of companies getting money of nervous freshers who dont want to miss out.

There seem to be two wristbands, one by the manchester student union and one by the company called electric? Which do you recommend getting, if at all or maybe even both?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbul)
    Hey

Quick questions for current UoM students. Are the wristbands worth getting? A friend of mine who goes to a different university tells me they are just a way of companies getting money of nervous freshers who dont want to miss out.

There seem to be two wristbands, one by the manchester student union and one by the company called electric? Which do you recommend getting, if at all or maybe even both?

Cheers
    I got the Electric ones only because the events looked really good - I managed to get the super early birds ones so it was a bit cheaper for me
    If worst comes to worst and none of my flatmates are going then either I'd find someone near me who was going or I'm sure I could sell them It's just nice to have the option, I guess
    If you're really not bothered then I'd probably wait until you get to halls and see what your flatmates are doing

ReputationRep:
    fairs, ill have to see what everybody else in my area is getting then aha. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    On the UoM freshers faq they said its best to wait until you get to halls and you can get them there... think ill do that as then can see what nearby people are doing!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing electric week one as it seemed to be the most popular! I might do the week two, not sure yet though.

ReputationRep:
    These aren't the official events, wait until you get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    These aren't the official events, wait until you get there.
    Are these the official ones then?

http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/t...-week-packages

This is what I found on the student union website, although its a steep price. 53quid for 6 days, haha what about the other week of fresher.
    Doesn't include the nights either, do you even need a band for fresher's nights out?

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you get there and see what your flatmates are buying :yep: Despite the hype, these events never actually sell out, so what you're seeing is really just club promoters preying on the fears of nervous young freshers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Wait until you get there and see what your flatmates are buying :yep: Despite the hype, these events never actually sell out, so what you're seeing is really just club promoters preying on the fears of nervous young freshers.
    Cheers origami did it cost this much for you when you went through fresher's (£53)?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbul)
    Cheers origami did it cost this much for you when you went through fresher's (£53)?!
    I honestly can't remember how much the tickets were (this was 3 years ago!) but I have a figure in my head of it costing about £150 all in

ReputationRep:
    The student union dont actually make any real money, they are not for profit, so you know it should be good value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alejandro_o)
    The student union dont actually make any real money, they are not for profit, so you know it should be good value
    This is true, they only deal in Monopoly money.

ReputationRep:
    yeah ive bought the student union wrist bands

ReputationRep:
    Why would you buy the electric ones before you even go..? That's madness. The official Facebook groups certainly make it seem that the majority of people in halls will get the official wristbands. The SU events are, after all, designed to help you meet people in your halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.