The Student Room Group

Opinions on A-Level Biology?

Looking at taking Biology at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Meg321
Looking at taking Biology at A-Level and I would like to hear how people find it and if they did well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Biology forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=129
Original post by Meg321

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, taking biology at A levels depends a bit on what you want to do once you get into university.

You can review your choices and then check whether biology is required for them or not.
Reply 3
Biology is a pretty good subject to take- it was by far my favourite! Obviously it depends what you want to do when you get out of school but here's some pros and cons:

- Not too much maths (unlike physics and chemistry)
- Lots of useful basis for other subjects (environment, biochemistry etc)
- (Depending on exam board) not too much essay writing, mostly short-answer questions
- Logical (at least I think so)

I took biology- my boyfriend didn't. He now regrets it as he's constantly having to review biology stuff to understand his new Environmental Management masters...

So yes, it depends what you want to do, but if you aren't sure it's a good one to consider- it's a bit of science, but it's the most 'artsy' of the sciences and therefore can combine well with English and Geography or Physics and Chemistry!
When I have taken Biology at A-levels, I have never regretted to do that. It is a nice and an important addition to Chemistry A-level which I have taken too. The topics, even the most extensive ones (molecular biology and physiology) are good to learn and good to understand. If you are very interest in how the life works in detail, no matter in genetics, ecology, physiology, metabolism, neurons or hormones or darwinism, so I recommend you to take Biology at A-level. :smile:
Reply 5
I think its a good idea to have some underlying interest in Biology in order to do well in it - the amount of content in the course means that there is ALOT to learn, and lots of people I know got really demotivated because they found the content tedious and dull to revise and so didn't get a very good grade.

However, if you do have a genuine interest in any aspects of Biology and are motivated to work hard then its a great subject which is varied and can lead up to loads of interesting courses at university.

Personally, Biology had always been my favourite subject throughout school and I found it the most 'fun' subject to revise (okay fun wasn't the right word but you get the idea :biggrin:). I got an A for AS which I was really pleased with.

Also, I thought the exams (OCR) were okay if you knew all of the content on the specification - there's not alot of essay writing!

Good luck :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending