Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Adult nursing placement problems watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I hope someone can help before I have a breakdown.
    iv just had my first week on my first placement (first year) I don't know if maybe my expectations were too high, but iv been really upset. The first day I had to go straight to the staff room for the handover and nobody said hello introduced themselves or introduced me to anyone. My mentor then came in and then after we went out to the ward, she said hello and then just sent me off to follow a HCA, which I did for the whole day. The following days all iv done is feed and change people. Whenever she has asked me to help with something I think "she's finally going to start teaching me" but she just carries out the task and doesn't explain anything to me. Whenever I ask questions she just give me a s**tty response. It's really getting me down. Is it reasonable to request that my uni allow me to move to another ward? This placement is 10 weeks and I don't think I can take it for that long as I'm worried I will fall behind. Or am I just being dramatic? I just didn't know people could be so rude especially when they are being paid extra to teach me, I assumed they became mentors because they WANTED to help and not just for the extra money. HELP PLEASE.

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to mentor at university?
    You shouldn't be feeling like that but that's not surprising if I'm honest.
    Try speaking to her if you come in a little earlier or speak to your uni mentor.
    You are there to learn not just carry out hca tasks. Although personal care etc is fundamental you also need to learn more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, yeah I spoke to my link lecturer from uni and he just basically said see how it goes, so I'm going to give it this week then Friday we're in uni for a reflection day on the first 2 weeks, so thinking if it's still the same by then I should take it further and asked to be moved to another ward. Would you agree? I don't feel like I can speak to my mentor on the ward to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would wait and see how it goes and if no improvement then ask to move or have a meeting. It is your education and your future career so you need to take control of it. You need to learn and if you feel you aren't it's not going to help your future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paris777)
    iv just had my first week on my first placement (first year) I don't know if maybe my expectations were too high, but iv been really upset. The first day I had to go straight to the staff room for the handover and nobody said hello introduced themselves or introduced me to anyone. My mentor then came in and then after we went out to the ward, she said hello and then just sent me off to follow a HCA, which I did for the whole day. The following days all iv done is feed and change people. Whenever she has asked me to help with something I think "she's finally going to start teaching me" but she just carries out the task and doesn't explain anything to me. Whenever I ask questions she just give me a s**tty response. It's really getting me down. Is it reasonable to request that my uni allow me to move to another ward? This placement is 10 weeks and I don't think I can take it for that long as I'm worried I will fall behind. Or am I just being dramatic? I just didn't know people could be so rude especially when they are being paid extra to teach me, I assumed they became mentors because they WANTED to help and not just for the extra money. HELP PLEASE.
    There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be rude or nasty to you. That is not okay. But you are on your first ever placement and that is often used to learn personal cares, get used to the ward routine, etc.

I don't think mentors do get paid extra but I may be wrong. I always just ask my mentor why they are doing things. Sometimes that can start conversation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advise, il keep it all in mind. Fingers crossed will get better.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately some nurses are really hard to get along with. That's no excuse for her being how she is with you, you've raised it with your university, see how another week goes then take things from there. Maybe see if you could work with another nurse for a shift and see how you get along with them?

However, this is your first ward placement, it's quite common for students to be sent to work with HCAs to get used to delivering personal care and helping patients eat and so on. A lot of your learning outcomes can be completed through working with the HCAs on a placement like this, so don't worry about falling behind. I think the most detailed thing I was taught on my first ever placement was doing a very simple dressing change using ANTT.

We don't get paid extra for being mentors, whoever told you that is misinformed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paris777)

Hi, I'm an adult nursing student going into my second year. Unfortunatley, alot of us on our course (including myself) have had this experience! There is nothing worse than when you're just starting your first placement and you don't have a clue what you're doing! However, unfortunately, you will be working with the HCA's for alot of your placement, especially during your first block. This is because the fundamental nursing care is provided by the hca's and this is the first thing you'll need to know. You cannot possibly nurse somebody back to health if you don't know how to wash them, feed them, dress them etc. I know I'm sounding harsh, but you have to get your essential care perfect before you move on to anything else. But please stick with it! This year will go so fast!! By the end of your first year, you'll be surprised how much you have learned. There will be times on the course when you just want to leave the ward, pack the whole degree in and do something easier. But trust me. Stick with this first year, get through your basic's and you'll absolutely love it. As for the nurse's unfriendliness, just be as helpful as possible, take charge of your learning... so for example: If you're in handover and they state someone needs to be catheterised or a change of wound dressing... ask to watch! Then next time involve yourself, then the third time, do it yourself (with supervision)! Try to be really proactive with your learning, otherwise you will be doing the hca's job for a very long time. Develop the confidence to involve yourself in everything on the ward. Any q's just message me!

p.s! Nurse's don't get paid more for being mentors! It's an NMC requirement that all nurses complete mentorship and train student nurses.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.