The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants for 2015 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone else waiting for Bangor? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've still got to wait to hear back from Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Aberdeen (Neuroscience with Psychology for Aberdeen, the rest are Psychology). Do you think it's likely I'll still get offers this month and if they do wait for the deadline, do they give out offers right after that or do you think they won't finish processing the applications for a while?
Original post by FrauBecca
I've still got to wait to hear back from Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Aberdeen (Neuroscience with Psychology for Aberdeen, the rest are Psychology). Do you think it's likely I'll still get offers this month and if they do wait for the deadline, do they give out offers right after that or do you think they won't finish processing the applications for a while?

Hi! I'm also waiting for Edinburgh to reply; and although I would love to receive an offer this month - from what I've heard from previous years in my school; they usually got their offers in February :/. Although it may be different due to me not living in the UK :P
Original post by liliesarewhite
Hi! I'm also waiting for Edinburgh to reply; and although I would love to receive an offer this month - from what I've heard from previous years in my school; they usually got their offers in February :/. Although it may be different due to me not living in the UK :P

I've checked their acceptance quote for Psychology on their website, it's so low (about 14% I think!) so I guess with that many people applying, they might wait... but I wonder about Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Aberdeen as they're not that highly ranked. I don't live in the UK either, but I'm a EU student so I doubt that'll matter much (I know they've given out offers for students who live outside the EU). It's just a bit stressful not knowing which unis will give you offers when you have to plan a visit to all those unis that should also be on applicant days/open days in January-April.
Original post by MartaAlexis
Nope, they won't be sending offers anytime soon because the Psych program is new so they said they will take a bit longer than the rest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just got an offer from Kings! For AAB (predicted A*AA) !! Soooo happy!:biggrin: especially as they said they weren't giving offers until January haha
I've checked their acceptance quote for Psychology on their website, it's so low (about 14% I think!) so I guess with that many people applying, they might wait... but I wonder about Heriot-Watt, Dundee and Aberdeen as they're not that highly ranked. I don't live in the UK either, but I'm a EU student so I doubt that'll matter much (I know they've given out offers for students who live outside the EU). It's just a bit stressful not knowing which unis will give you offers when you have to plan a visit to all those unis that should also be on applicant days/open days in January-April.

I know how you feel - I have a similar problem with Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Strathclyde (Thank you Glasgow for being nice and sending out offers early :biggrin:). Are you planning to visit all the unis before your final choice?
I know how you feel - I have a similar problem with Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Strathclyde (Thank you Glasgow for being nice and sending out offers early :biggrin:). Are you planning to visit all the unis before your final choice?

I think I'll visit all that will give me offers. Already got an offer from Strathclyde though... not my first choice but I think I'll still visit the university. Did you get one from Glasgow? Congrats if you did :smile: (I didn't apply there because their entry requirements for students with Abitur were just unfair in comparison to their UK entry requirements) I think I'll probably have to take at least a two week holiday travelling through Scotland, hoping their applicants' days will be around the same time - do you think they'll deliberately not put them on the exact same date?
I think I'll visit all that will give me offers. Already got an offer from Strathclyde though... not my first choice but I think I'll still visit the university. Did you get one from Glasgow? Congrats if you did :smile: (I didn't apply there because their entry requirements for students with Abitur were just unfair in comparison to their UK entry requirements) I think I'll probably have to take at least a two week holiday travelling through Scotland, hoping their applicants' days will be around the same time - do you think they'll deliberately not put them on the exact same date?

Yeah, I received an offer from Glasgow with quite high entry requirements (including a 7 - the top grade - in maths) so we'll see how that goes :smile:.
I haven't received word from Strathclyde yet though (well done :biggrin:).

It would be amazing if the openings days would be close - especially since most of the universities I've applied to have quite similar positions in ranking (Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrews); so the final decision would most probably be the atmosphere of the place and where I feel the most comfortable :smile:
Yeah, I received an offer from Glasgow with quite high entry requirements (including a 7 - the top grade - in maths) so we'll see how that goes :smile:.
I haven't received word from Strathclyde yet though (well done :biggrin:).

It would be amazing if the openings days would be close - especially since most of the universities I've applied to have quite similar positions in ranking (Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Andrews); so the final decision would most probably be the atmosphere of the place and where I feel the most comfortable :smile:

Are you still in school? Sounds like you're doing the IB :smile: Will you put that offer as your firm or insurance? Hm, when did you apply?

I've looked at all the websites to find out more about applicants' days, some already give dates, some only give a range of several months early 2015 and Aberdeen didn't give a date at all! Quite annoying when you have to book a flight... I just want to go there to see how I like it. Often the first impression is really important. When I went to look at all the local secondary schools (they go from year 5 to year 12) in my city with my parents there was only one I felt really comfortable, and it turned out I made the right choice.
Original post by YouLoveTheBeach
I just got an offer from Kings! For AAB (predicted A*AA) !! Soooo happy!:biggrin: especially as they said they weren't giving offers until January haha

Really??! Congrats :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notebooker
Cambridge :smile:

Which college? :biggrin:
I applied for PBS at King's, Cambridge.
Are you still in school? Sounds like you're doing the IB :smile: Will you put that offer as your firm or insurance? Hm, when did you apply?

I've looked at all the websites to find out more about applicants' days, some already give dates, some only give a range of several months early 2015 and Aberdeen didn't give a date at all! Quite annoying when you have to book a flight... I just want to go there to see how I like it. Often the first impression is really important. When I went to look at all the local secondary schools (they go from year 5 to year 12) in my city with my parents there was only one I felt really comfortable, and it turned out I made the right choice.

Yup, IB (unfotunately hahaha). Um, I still haven't decided. I was pretty much debating Cambridge/Glasgow/Edinburgh as my firm; yet after a horrible interview at Cambridge it went back to Glasgow/Edinburgh.... Until I started thinking about St Andrews again and now I once again have no idea.

However Glasgow seems more reasonable when it comes to cheaper accommodation and quite a lot of jobs that are available to students; as well as the course does sound quite nice. But yeah, I think I'd like to have a look around before I make my choice (I may either hate/love St. Andrews I have no idea) :P.

Have you decided upon a firm/insurance choice?
Yup, IB (unfotunately hahaha). Um, I still haven't decided. I was pretty much debating Cambridge/Glasgow/Edinburgh as my firm; yet after a horrible interview at Cambridge it went back to Glasgow/Edinburgh.... Until I started thinking about St Andrews again and now I once again have no idea.

However Glasgow seems more reasonable when it comes to cheaper accommodation and quite a lot of jobs that are available to students; as well as the course does sound quite nice. But yeah, I think I'd like to have a look around before I make my choice (I may either hate/love St. Andrews I have no idea) :P.

Have you decided upon a firm/insurance choice?

What's wrong with IB? :biggrin: Okay, if you got an interview for Cambridge you must have killer grades!

Accommodation seems so expensive, especially because I want an en-suite room... especially if I end up in Aberdeen.

I don't have a firm and insurance because I've finished school so I should get unconditional offers, but (if I get offers) I think it's either going to be Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt or Aberdeen.
What's wrong with IB? :biggrin: Okay, if you got an interview for Cambridge you must have killer grades!

Accommodation seems so expensive, especially because I want an en-suite room... especially if I end up in Aberdeen.

I don't have a firm and insurance because I've finished school so I should get unconditional offers, but (if I get offers) I think it's either going to be Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt or Aberdeen.

I'm just feeling very negative currently about the IB due to the fact that we have like 6 essay deadlines this Friday and I'm a bit frazzled. But at least that part will be done soon and then just the exams :P. It's not that bad in all honesty :smile:. And some subjects have an interesting syllabus so that's good (e.g. history, psychology) :biggrin:

Yeah every time I look at prices of accommodation I freak out a little :/. I might even end up taking a double for the first year and see how it is :P. However if I manage to find some part time thing that should make the load easier :smile:.

Oh ok. Wow, so no stress about actually getting the grades predicted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just feeling very negative currently about the IB due to the fact that we have like 6 essay deadlines this Friday and I'm a bit frazzled. But at least that part will be done soon and then just the exams :P. It's not that bad in all honesty :smile:. And some subjects have an interesting syllabus so that's good (e.g. history, psychology) :biggrin:

Yeah every time I look at prices of accommodation I freak out a little :/. I might even end up taking a double for the first year and see how it is :P. However if I manage to find some part time thing that should make the load easier :smile:.

Oh ok. Wow, so no stress about actually getting the grades predicted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can understand that, I would too if I had that many essays! Do you do Psychology as a subject? I'm so sad I wasn't able to, they don't offer that where I live. Good luck with your essays and exams!

It's horribly expensive. What's a double if you don't mind my asking? Do you mean a double bed, or are you talking about a job thing? (I'm not a native speaker so those expressions sometimes go over my head!) At least I'll get student loans from the German government plus money for being a "child" from them.

No stress at all. I don't think I would've handled multiple 6-hour exams with the pressure of having to achieve a certain grade very well.
I can understand that, I would too if I had that many essays! Do you do Psychology as a subject? I'm so sad I wasn't able to, they don't offer that where I live. Good luck with your essays and exams!

It's horribly expensive. What's a double if you don't mind my asking? Do you mean a double bed, or are you talking about a job thing? (I'm not a native speaker so those expressions sometimes go over my head!) At least I'll get student loans from the German government plus money for being a "child" from them.

No stress at all. I don't think I would've handled multiple 6-hour exams with the pressure of having to achieve a certain grade very well.

Yeah, I do Psychology at Higher Level (which means like 6h a week; 3 Core topics and 2 option topics) and it's absolutely amazing - it's what convinced me to actually apply for psychology :smile:.

Double as in two people in a room. It's usually less expensive than a single room so yeah :smile:. Yeah, I'm not sure how willing the Polish government will be with loans, but apparently there's a few scholarships one can apply to so if I do well there's that :P.

Ah I'm so jealous :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MartaAlexis
Which college? :biggrin:
I applied for PBS at King's, Cambridge.

Emmanuel :smile:
Yeah, I do Psychology at Higher Level (which means like 6h a week; 3 Core topics and 2 option topics) and it's absolutely amazing - it's what convinced me to actually apply for psychology :smile:.

Double as in two people in a room. It's usually less expensive than a single room so yeah :smile:. Yeah, I'm not sure how willing the Polish government will be with loans, but apparently there's a few scholarships one can apply to so if I do well there's that :P.

Ah I'm so jealous :biggrin:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, I've never done Psychology before but I got a big textbook for my birthday so I can prepare for the course a little. I also had a hard time saying why I want to study Psychology in my PS, I just know I am interested in the topic.

I've never seen that as an option for accomodation. I think I'd quite like that, as long as I still get an en-suite. I've looked at the scholarship option at the uni websites but sadly there aren't that many for EU students. Hopefully your government will help you out a little.

At least you have school to distract you from waiting for your offers :biggrin:
That's great, I've never done Psychology before but I got a big textbook for my birthday so I can prepare for the course a little. I also had a hard time saying why I want to study Psychology in my PS, I just know I am interested in the topic.

I've never seen that as an option for accomodation. I think I'd quite like that, as long as I still get an en-suite. I've looked at the scholarship option at the uni websites but sadly there aren't that many for EU students. Hopefully your government will help you out a little.

At least you have school to distract you from waiting for your offers :biggrin:

My subjects fitted perfectedly for my PS - history (with a large focus on social problems), psychology, maths, biology etc. so thank you IB for making me take 6 subjects :P.

Is the textbook good? We have two psychology books - one that's amazing and one that can put anyone to sleep due to the fact that the language is just *shudder* :P.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My subjects fitted perfectedly for my PS - history (with a large focus on social problems), psychology, maths, biology etc. so thank you IB for making me take 6 subjects :P.

Is the textbook good? We have two psychology books - one that's amazing and one that can put anyone to sleep due to the fact that the language is just *shudder* :P.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did history, english, religious education, maths and chemistry as my main subject for my Abitur but I had to take loads more (german, politics and economics, spanish, art, biology, sports and also scientific research - thank you German government for giving me so many subjects...not!)

It's pretty good, it's the 10th edition of David Myers psychology book. We also have a German one at home but I never bothered reading it because it looks very boring and it's German.

Quick Reply

Latest