Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for Chemistry at uni with predicted grades slightly lower than typical offer watch

ReputationRep:
    When I got my AS results, my grades weren't as high as I hoped. I got B's in Chemistry (one raw mark of an A), English Literature and Maths, and a C in Biology (two raw marks of a B). I am planning on resitting a module of Chemistry, Biology and two of Maths to make these grades higher/more secure. I also have GCSE's of 6A*s, 4 As and 2 Bs.

Sorry for the background thought it was necessary, but my main question is with predicted of ABB (A in Chemistry) is there any point applying to uni courses for Chemistry (with BioMed/Pharmacy/MedChem) with typical offers of AAB?

I'm a bit stuck in knowing what to do and I'm struggling to write my personal statement without really knowing where I can apply and am likely to be considered, so I thought I'd ask! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Well you have 5 choices right? You can use one to apply for a AAB offer university

Just put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement shouldn't be affected at all by where you are applying.

As for where to apply, why not apply to one or two universities with those requirements, and others with lower requirements?

ReputationRep:
    You could try and apply anyway. If you want you could go through clearing after you get your A2 results if they are good. There were plenty of places available at decent universities this year.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! I got ABBC in my AS levels, but decided to work hard and apply to York where the offer was AAA. I only got ABB but still got in - just worked really hard for interviews and my UCAS app. etc. And of course you can take a nice safe insurance choice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajw12)
    Go for it! I got ABBC in my AS levels, but decided to work hard and apply to York where the offer was AAA. I only got ABB but still got in - just worked really hard for interviews and my UCAS app. etc. And of course you can take a nice safe insurance choice anyway!
    Ok thank you! Its nice to know there's still a bit of a chance with a good UCAS application not all top unis will just put me on the no pile instantly as my grades don't meet typical offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleyrebecca)
    Ok thank you! Its nice to know there's still a bit of a chance with a good UCAS application not all top unis will just put me on the no pile instantly as my grades don't meet typical offers.
    For AS I also got ABBC and still applied for universities wanting AAA for chemistry (Manchester was the highest offer): I still got interviews, 3 in total and offers from all 5 unis I applied to and I got accepted into Manchester this year Just make sure your personal statement and reference is good and work on interviews, although most are informal anyway

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Passion for your University and the course goes a long way. Try and get your UCAS away as soon as you can! And good luck

ReputationRep:
    You have better AS grades than I did when I applied to Uni. (BBCCD) I chose UCL, UEA, York, Sheffield and MMU. Got offers from all of them. Chemistry tends not to be a very popular choice, so pick 5 places that you love, and use the 49 lines in your PS to show them how much you enjoy chemistry and what about it will make you stick around for the full 3/4 years of the degree.

ps: don't pick 5 universities that interview. Pick max 2 or 3 that do. the interviews generally aren't an academic interrogation, it's more a chat between you and an academic, and some chemistry to make sure you're not completely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseBrilliante)
    For AS I also got ABBC and still applied for universities wanting AAA for chemistry (Manchester was the highest offer): I still got interviews, 3 in total and offers from all 5 unis I applied to and I got accepted into Manchester this year Just make sure your personal statement and reference is good and work on interviews, although most are informal anyway
    thank you, seems like there is still a good chance with hard work and good prep, I can apply to get into a very good uni. just out of interest would you mind saying where else you applied? just wondering how best to break down my 5 options so am trying to gain overview of what people have done before!

ReputationRep:
    thank you, seems like there is still a good chance with hard work and good prep, I can apply to get into a very good uni. just out of interest would you mind saying where else you applied? just wondering how best to break down my 5 options so am trying to gain overview of what people have done before!
    In order of preference: Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, York and Keele

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.