The Student Room Group

advice for starting A levels?

I'm starting my A levels this September..
I had picked English literature, history, psychology and sociology; however sociology and psychology were at the same time so I couldn't. I decided to wait till GCSE results day to choose my new 4th subject depending on my results, is this a good idea?? Or should I just pick a new subject to try something new?

I have no idea what to do I'm a strong straight A student with my weakest subject being science at a predicted B.

Also, what advice would you give to someone starting their A levels? Any advice at all is welcome
thankyou :smile:
1. Learn to use the TSR search function.

In reply to choosing subjects, I'd say waiting is a good idea, but I still recommend taking the subject you enjoy most (also consider what you want to do at university, though, if that's the route you expect to take).
(edited 9 years ago)
My 10 top tips for A-Levels (from someone who has just finished them)...

1. Don't feel pushed in taking a subject you don't want to do, even if it might be useful or respected.
2. If you hate a subject after the first week, change it while you can!! It will only get worse, and probably an awful lot harder!
3. Make use of your free periods.
4. Do extra reading around your subjects.
5. Take general studies over extended project/ critical thinking, more universities (even some Russel Group ones) accept it than you'd think for most courses (obviously not medicine etc.), when many few take the other extras into account, even though they may be useful in securing your offer.
6. Ask a teacher straight away if you don't understand something.
7. Don't think A-Levels will require less work than GCSEs just because you are doing fewer subjects.
8. Work with your friends.
9. Don't be pushed to go to university even though you're doing A-Levels and everybody else is.
10. Most importantly, enjoy studying what you love!!

Sorry for rambling, just do what YOU think is best.... Good Luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by fortunaisland

5. Take general studies over extended project/ critical thinking, more universities (even some Russel Group ones) accept it than you'd think for most courses (obviously not medicine etc.), when many few take the other extras into account, even though they may be useful in securing your offer.

Disagree with this, general studies suck and all universities hate it. EPQ is so much better and way more valuable.

As for OP, read last lessons content before your next one (night before, morning on is best). It'll allow you to take in information so much easier.
Reply 4

1. Don't feel pushed in taking a subject you don't want to do, even if it might be useful or respected.
2. If you hate a subject after the first week, change it while you can!! It will only get worse, and probably an awful lot harder!
3. Make use of your free periods.
4. Do extra reading around your subjects.
6. Ask a teacher straight away if you don't understand something.
7. Don't think A-Levels will require less work than GCSEs just because you are doing fewer subjects.
8. Work with your friends.
9. Don't be pushed to go to university even though you're doing A-Levels and everybody else is.
10. Most importantly, enjoy studying what you love!!

Sorry for rambling, just do what YOU think is best.... Good Luck :smile:

Your tips were great, thankyou! I want to do law at uni so I've tried to include 'traditional subjects' such as English literature and history, whereas psychology is something I enjoyed in my GCSEs
Reply 5
Original post by Dylann

As for OP, read last lessons content before your next one (night before, morning on is best). It'll allow you to take in information so much easier.

I never thought of that! Thankyou
Original post by Dylann
Disagree with this, general studies suck and all universities hate it. EPQ is so much better and way more valuable.

I agree with you - my extended project was very rewarding and provided really useful skills for uni. With regard for general studies, Sheffield, for example, took general studies into account for my course but not EPQ. It's just a case of checking with your chosen uni.
In terms of study tips, take notes in lessons then make a powerpoint right afterwards when you get home and then when it's time for revision all you have to do is go back to the powerpoint and rewrite everything in a notepad!
Original post by aishahj123
Your tips were great, thankyou! I want to do law at uni so I've tried to include 'traditional subjects' such as English literature and history, whereas psychology is something I enjoyed in my GCSEs

I LOVED history A-Level:smile: And, you're right, do something you enjoyed at GCSE! As for law, my advice about general studies is probably useless, as it's such a competitive course. According to my friend, who is going to study law at Durham in September, law schools like your extra (usually taken at A2) to be critical thinking. I'm no expect but might be something to look into?? :confused: Really good luck with your studies.
Original post by orphan_black
In terms of study tips, take notes in lessons then make a powerpoint right afterwards when you get home and then when it's time for revision all you have to do is go back to the powerpoint and rewrite everything in a notepad!

I wish I'd done this! Might give this a try for uni though
I wish I'd done this! Might give this a try for uni though

I'm doing this for A2 :banana:
Reply 11
I LOVED history A-Level:smile: And, you're right, do something you enjoyed at GCSE! As for law, my advice about general studies is probably useless, as it's such a competitive course. According to my friend, who is going to study law at Durham in September, law schools like your extra (usually taken at A2) to be critical thinking. I'm no expect but might be something to look into?? :confused: Really good luck with your studies.

I haven't taken history before and was only accepted on to the course because I had a high grade in English literature which made up for my lack of experience. I'm really looking forward to taking it though, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! How did you find it?
Any advice for starting A level Bio, Chem, Maths & Psychology?
Any effective timetable for studying as Im always bad at making a good time table for my study :smile:
Top 2 tips would be
1) Make sure you keep on top of your work, don't fall behind you'll end up getting really stressed!
2) If you don't understand something ask your teacher asap before it builds up and before you know it theres a whole list of things you're unsure of which is never good aha, but im sure you'll be fine and good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by aishahj123
I haven't taken history before and was only accepted on to the course because I had a high grade in English literature which made up for my lack of experience. I'm really looking forward to taking it though, so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! How did you find it?

I found it challenging but loved it as it was so interesting:smile: A-Level is very different to GCSE so not having taken it before wouldn't be a downside in my opinion, especially as you're obviously good at essays (the most important thing, especially at A2)... I just hope you have a good memory!
Original post by Elhamm
Any advice for starting A level Bio, Chem, Maths & Psychology?
Any effective timetable for studying as Im always bad at making a good time table for my study :smile:

Try get revising for making a revision timetable, they really work. Put it up somewhere prominent so your family can police you to make sure you stick to it.

I have no experience of chem, bio or phyc, but for maths, I would suggest doing every single question in the textbook, or at least until you can do them all without looking at notes. Then back this up with past paper questions. And keep looking back over your notes so you don't forget it all when you come to revise in May. This is especially important now there are no January modules.

Quick Reply

Latest