Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparently by law a man can't be raped I don't think this is true do you?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like it's a grave tragedy that in 2014 a person would even need to ask this question.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/...alAssault.aspx
    What is rape/sexual assault
    This section hopes to answer any questions that you might have about rape, assault by penetration or sexual assault.

We will take all reports of sexual assault and rape seriously, no matter whether the attack happened recently or a long time ago.

Rape
    (read ‘A’ as person accused, and ‘B’ as victim)
    A intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of B with his penis
    B does not consent to the penetration
    A does not reasonably believe that B consents

The slightest penetration is enough and it need only be momentary to amount to rape, provided it happened without your consent. You may have consented to vaginal penetration but not anal penetration- this could still be rape. Penetration is the act, which starts at entry with the penis and ends with withdrawal. Ejaculation is not necessary. Your assailant must have penetrated you intentionally, which means it must have been his purpose or his aim rather than a mistake. He must have penetrated you without your consent or continued to penetrate you after you withdrew your consent.

It is up to the man to make sure he has your consent before he proceeds or continues with penetration. In court, he will have to show why he believed you were consenting, by telling the jury the steps he took to make sure.

Assault by penetration

Both men and women can commit this offence, and it can be committed against either a man or a woman.
    An assault by penetration occurs when:
    A intentionally penetrates the vagina or anus of B with a part of his body or anything else
    The penetration is sexual
    B does not consent to the penetration and
    The penetration can be by a body part such as a finger, or anything else, animal, vegetable, mineral, or any type of object whatsoever. This means that once penetration is proved it is unnecessary to prove by what means it took place. The penetration has to be of the vagina or anus, oral penetration is not included in this offence. As with rape, it has to be intentionally done without your consent. The penetration must be ‘sexual’ which excludes medical examinations carried out with the patient’s consent or in an unconscious patient, in her best interests for medical reasons.

Sexual assault
    Both men and women can commit sexual assault and it can be committed against either a male or female.
    An offence occurs when:
    A intentionally touches B
    The touching is sexual
    B does not consent to the touching and
    Touching has to be sexual, and can be with any item or any body part (whether your assailant’s or anyone else’s) and it can be through your clothes (for assailant’s or anyone else’s) and it can be through your clothes (for example even bottom- pinching could be a sexual assault).

What is consent?

A person consents if he/ she agrees by choice, and has the freedom and capacity to make that choice.
    The law recognises that you can withdraw consent at any time before or during a sexual act.
    Your agreement has to be by choice.
    You must also have the capacity to make your choice.
    So a man can be raped by another man. A woman cannot commit rape in the UK, but she can commit assault by penetration and sexual assault.

ReputationRep:
    Omg :eek:
    I'm gonna have to research this. If this is true then it's shocking because obviously a man can be raped by a woman. For instance he can be drugged then ...Well...you know the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shalla13)
    Omg :eek:
    I'm gonna have to research this. If this is true then it's shocking because obviously a man can be raped by a woman. For instance he can be drugged then ...Well...you know the rest.
    A woman cannot rape because by definition you need to 'penetrate'. A woman cannot force a mans penis to get erect and even then it will be the man penetrating her. So the most a woman can be charged for is sexual assault

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie G)
    Of course they can, the law can often be dumb

ReputationRep:
    i dont think a man can be raped by a woman, if a womean druged a man and had sex most would find it funny as hell (i have a friend who claims this happened to him)
    the expereince in general would be no where near as traumatic.
    no it shouldnt be as serious a crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    A woman cannot force a mans penis to get erect and even then it will be the man penetrating her. So the most a woman can be charged for is sexual assault
    Setting aside the legal definition and any debate on whether it should be expanded to include forced envelopment (though obviously that's quite a complex issue in itself) for a second; it is possible for a man to get an errection in response to purely physiological stimuli, men can get erections in their sleep and perhaps most fundamentally - in any case, arousal is not consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronnie G)
    The law doesn't say this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comus)
    Setting aside the legal definition and any debate on whether it should be expanded to include forced envelopment (though obviously that's quite a complex issue in itself) for a second; it is possible for a man to get an errection in response to purely physiological stimuli, men can get erections in their sleep and perhaps most fundamentally - in any case, arousal is not consent.
    A woman has no schlong to rape with. Simple as. Even if the man gets erect, he is penetrating her. Not the other way round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrie Lyons)
    i dont think a man can be raped by a woman, if a womean druged a man and had sex most would find it funny as hell (i have a friend who claims this happened to him)
    Why? Imagine what the reaction would be if this happened to a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2710)
    A woman has no schlong to rape with. Simple as. Even if the man gets erect, he is penetrating her. Not the other way round.
    Yes, which is why I put aside the legal definition for a second - in that post I was specifically challenging your point that a woman cannot force a man to get an erection, and even if it were impossible it would still be a moot point - the general understanding of rape is sex without consent and the law should reflect this. Though that is not to say that men are necessarily victimised at the same rate as women merely that such scenarios should be recognised.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Rape should be "sex forced upon someone" not "a penis forces into a vagina"
    It bothers me a lot that the law thinks men can't be raped. What about homosexuals?

ReputationRep:
    The US definition is if anyone penetrates anyone with anything against their will it's rape which I think is a more appropriate definition although it's obviously not perfect.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty shocked by the number of 'no' responses, definition of rape aside...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrie Lyons)
    Yes I am sure he'd find it hilarious if he caught herpes or HIV or ended up on the hook for his rapist's child support.

The level of trauma is no object. The woman has had sex with him without consent. It's rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketCiaranJ)
    Why? Imagine what the reaction would be if this happened to a woman.
    thats my point he was laughing his ass off about the story and telling it in the 'arent i such a stud , i cant keep them off me' voice.
    a doubt woman would be so public and boastful in telling such a story.
    thats my point, its much more traumatic to do that to woman on avearge and thus more of a crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yes I am sure he'd find it hilarious if he caught herpes or HIV or ended up on the hook for his rapist's child support.

The level of trauma is no object. The woman has had sex with him without consent. It's rape.
    on the contary, the level of hurt and trauma is the only thing that makes rape a crime: the law doesnt care about some mystical concept called 'consent' and its violition.
    it cares about minimising hurt amongst the populace and punishing those who do. as far as consent to sex is necessary to prevent trauma, the law is concerened with consent.
    if raping caused no psychological trauma and only had the danger of stds it would be no more a serious crime than forcing someone to drink from your glass for instance (yes thats techincally a crime, but no where near the level of rape).
    inventing an arbitrary definition of the word rape and then blanketing everything under this definition as equally serious is in all honesty childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Even if, for the sake of argument, I accept your assertion that rape is not as traumatizing for men as it is for women in most cases. Surely the level of trauma the victim received should be shown in the severity of the sentence, and not what crime the perpetrator is charged with? Rape and sexual assault carry different maximum sentences.
    to describe them under the same title would ipso facto make them equal in severity at least in principle, something which unjust.
    people use rape in colloquial language to mean 'sex without consent' whereas the law defines it as penetration wuthout consent. the former is exremely vague. is manula stimulation rape? in which case sexualt assault becomes rape.
    in any case the law states that being penetrated without consent causes more trauma, something a wholeheartedly see the sense in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.