Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Resitting Year 12 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As some of you may have seen I posted a thread on Thursday with my AS grades which were quite terrible (ADDC) and am 90% sure I want to resit the year.

Can anyone give me some advice I should consider or heed if I was to resit the year and what I can do to maximise my learning and get the A grades I need?

If I resit I will be doing Maths Chem and IT so I'll have 5 as levels at the end of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    help

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend the Uniformed Public Services course. A lot of colleges offer it and at different levels too - GCSE and A-level equivalent. Its fully coursework based, so no exams.

I'm on the course atm, going into my second year. You learn about all of the emergency services - police, ambulance and fire to name a few, but also all of the armed forces.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I resat my AS year and the biggest advice I can give to you is just improve work ethic - make sure you know every single tiny detail in your textbook- do every question, every past paper untill you are consistently getting 85%+ without help from the book. And the only mistakes you're making are silly ones. Get help from other sources if teachers/textbooks aren't clear enough (youtube helped me a lot).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAkash)
    Hi I resat my AS year and the biggest advice I can give to you is just improve work ethic - make sure you know every single tiny detail in your textbook- do every question, every past paper untill you are consistently getting 85%+ without help from the book. And the only mistakes you're making are silly ones. Get help from other sources if teachers/textbooks aren't clear enough (youtube helped me a lot).

Did you do the same subjects again? And did you find that Universities were okay with the fact you resat AS? Did you even have to tell them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAkash)
    Thank you for your response! I will definitely work as hard as I can throughout the year.

(Original post by MissBellyrina)
    Did you do the same subjects again? And did you find that Universities were okay with the fact you resat AS? Did you even have to tell them?
    Yeah that's what i've been wondering too, what unis have got to say about taking a levels across 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissBellyrina)
    I did pretty much the same subjects apart from I wanted to to Further Maths instead of Biology as I wanted to go for engineering. Yeah I applied to Bristol, Bath, Sheffield, Surrey and Southampton for Aerospace engineering and received offers from all apart from Bath (which I declined due to firming Bristol). And yes you have to declare all your previous grades on your UCAS entry so they knew - you don't have to declare Us because technically you don't have a qualification.

I think universities are generally fine if you show good dedication to your subject. (this may be different for subjects like Medicine etc)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.