Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer today from UCL and I will be living in close proximity to the campus, I was just wondering whether it'd be necessary to buy an Oyster once I get into London seeing as I will hardly use the train / buses because everything is in proximity? I mean I understand the need for an oyster perhaps next year if I can't afford to live in central, but for now would it be worth it to spend the money and probably not use the system haha?

I'm not planning on travelling much because I can walk to the campus and all the shops are nearby

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you plan on using public transport at all, get an oyster card. It'll save you a lot of money. You can get an adult oyster card that you top-up as and when you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leviosal_)
    I got an offer today from UCL and I will be living in close proximity to the campus, I was just wondering whether it'd be necessary to buy an Oyster once I get into London seeing as I will hardly use the train / buses because everything is in proximity? I mean I understand the need for an oyster perhaps next year if I can't afford to live in central, but for now would it be worth it to spend the money and probably not use the system haha?

I'm not planning on travelling much because I can walk to the campus and all the shops are nearby

Thanks
    I think you should get an oyster card. You save around 50% and it makes everything that bit easier. You could apply for a student oyster card and get a further 30% off as well. As a Londoner I can also tell you that two months ago they stopped allowing payment on buses in cash so now the only real way to get around on transport is an oyster card.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IC3DOutStunn4)
    I think you should get an oyster card. You save around 50% and it makes everything that bit easier. You could apply for a student oyster card and get a further 30% off as well. As a Londoner I can also tell you that two months ago they stopped allowing payment on buses in cash so now the only real way to get around on transport is an oyster card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    =DDD A Londoner!! I'm so sorry but I'm very lost with no one to refer to. So I hope that I could use some help here.
    What do you think of the London Travelcard? Can I actually reduce the purchase price by specifying the mode of transport I will only be using instead of paying for all kinds of transportations available (which for sure will be very useful when I'm travelling)? I'm planning to travel to and fro daily to my campus by bus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm living in London at the moment before I go to UCL in September, and I don't know a Londoner without an oyster card. Buses are now completely cashless, which means you have to use an Oyster card or a contactless payment card so you will probably need to get an Oyster card for that. I have a top-up Oyster card at the moment, which is £1.45 for every bus journey I think. Using the underground is more expensive, £3.50 approx but I think it depends on whether you travel during peak/off-peak times. When I start UCL I'm considering getting an Oyster Travelcard for Zones 1-2 which is £120 a month, but this is only worth doing if you use the Underground lots I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yummy4321)
    =DDD A Londoner!! I'm so sorry but I'm very lost with no one to refer to. So I hope that I could use some help here.
    What do you think of the London Travelcard? Can I actually reduce the purchase price by specifying the mode of transport I will only be using instead of paying for all kinds of transportations available (which for sure will be very useful when I'm travelling)? I'm planning to travel to and fro daily to my campus by bus.
    You could save money with a bus only travel card I suppose but that only makes sense if you're using it for a day as it costs around £4.50. if you're taking public transport more than twice a week the Oyster card will save you money. But yeah literally everyone has an Oyster card. I think getting one would save money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You could save money with a bus only travel card I suppose but that only makes sense if you're using it for a day as it costs around £4.50. if you're taking public transport more than twice a week the Oyster card will save you money. But yeah literally everyone has an Oyster card. I think getting one would save money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are right, I should really get an Oyster card. Tbh it's a very unique name for something so significant. I mean who will link an oyster to a card that will take you anywhere in London. But nevertheless, thank you so much, IC3DOutStunn4 =)

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay, I'll consider it, do you know how much it costs for a student oyster?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leviosal_)
    Ahh okay, I'll consider it, do you know how much it costs for a student oyster?
    "Applications for the TFL 18+ Oyster Card need to be made online, and are subject to a £10
    application fee. You cannot apply until you have enrolled at the start of term."

Maybe you could check that out.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Guide_to_Student_Travel_Around_London.pdf (492.2 KB, 845 views)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.