Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Got my results and i got ABCE in computing, maths, general studies and physics. Unfortunately this wasnt good enough to get onto my higher apprenticeship to do engineering, as i didnt get a B in physics. I believe this mainly to be down to my extenuating circumstances.

Ive decided that i want to go to a good business school to study business/marketing/management etc but looking at grades for places such as york and Durham i would need AAB. I really hated physics so i don't want to resit that.

So, would top unis give me a chance if i took a gap year and studied a whole business studies alevel in one year, and would i be able to get an A in it if i put in enough effort in.

Also do i need to tell my previous exam officer that i am going to resit some maths exams or will it be okay do just do them at the college i am going to attend?

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    Hi,

Got my results and i got ABCE in computing, maths, general studies and physics. Unfortunately this wasnt good enough to get onto my higher apprenticeship to do engineering, as i didnt get a B in physics. I believe this mainly to be down to my extenuating circumstances.

Ive decided that i want to go to a good business school to study business/marketing/management etc but looking at grades for places such as york and Durham i would need AAB. I really hated physics so i don't want to resit that.

So, would top unis give me a chance if i took a gap year and studied a whole business studies alevel in one year, and would i be able to get an A in it if i put in enough effort in.

Also do i need to tell my previous exam officer that i am going to resit some maths exams or will it be okay do just do them at the college i am going to attend?

thanks in advance
    Sounds like a good plan. By the sounds of it you will have AAA in Computing, Maths (after resit hopefully) and Business Studies. With three A's and a verifiable story explaining your reasons for underperforming first time around I'm sure the business schools you aspire to attend will offer you a place.

I'm not sure of the process to switch colleges but if you speak to the exams officer at your new college they will be able to inform you of the process in transferring and resitting specific modules.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    Hi,

thanks in advance
    Jumping from wanting to do an engineering apprenticeship to wanting to study business at uni is a huge leap, especially as you haven't studied business before. They're not particularly similar, so are you absolutely sure this is the right option for you? I don't think you'd stand much chance of getting offers as you haven't even got business at AS so they have nothing to judge your ability in that subject. It would be different if your completed exams were in a related subject, but you're going to be a very difficult applicant to assess. Therefore, it might be better if you decided to take a gap year after this year - you can then apply holding completed grades, and can also have more time to think about things.

You don't need to tell your previous exams officer anything. You will need to tell the new exams officer your UCI (unique candidate identifier - it's on certificates and things).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.