Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hello all!

i applied for anatomy, developmental & human biology at KCL this year, and received a conditional offer of AAB. My second choice was Manchester for anatomical sciences at ABB. However, I drastically under-performed during my exams, getting only DDE from biology, physics and chemistry respectively (with a C in AS history and a B in AS general studies).

However, leeds beckett (what used to be leeds met) do a biomedical sciences / human biology course, that will, potentially, take me despite my awful A2 grades. Is this a good idea? is there any possibility of transferring to a different university after the first year? Maybe to the university of leeds or manchester to do biology / anatomy? Or should I just suck it up and resit year 13? Will I be at a disadvantage if i do this?

Many thanks
    Mark

ReputationRep:
    If your heart is set on biology/anatomy at KCL or manchester then I would say resit year 13. I can't tell you if you would be at a disadvantage but perhaps you could try phoning a couple of universities and seeing what they say if you told them you wanted to resit. It isn't medicine so I would assume it would be fine.

I was in a similar position last year, I got offered ABB to go to Sheffield university and I got BCE in my A-levels, so i retook one course (and picked up another) and now I'm going to Sheffield in September. It might seem horribly annoying to retake the year (and it is, i won't lie) but it'll go by so quickly and you will be glad that you get to study the subject that you really want to. It is only one year after all. Personally I think it is not worth the risk of studying at a university that you just dont mind, with the hope of transferring later. However this is only my opinion, good luck and i hope that it all works out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geurae)
    If your heart is set on biology/anatomy at KCL or manchester then I would say resit year 13. I can't tell you if you would be at a disadvantage but perhaps you could try phoning a couple of universities and seeing what they say if you told them you wanted to resit. It isn't medicine so I would assume it would be fine.

I was in a similar position last year, I got offered ABB to go to Sheffield university and I got BCE in my A-levels, so i retook one course (and picked up another) and now I'm going to Sheffield in September. It might seem horribly annoying to retake the year (and it is, i won't lie) but it'll go by so quickly and you will be glad that you get to study the subject that you really want to. It is only one year after all. Personally I think it is not worth the risk of studying at a university that you just dont mind, with the hope of transferring later. However this is only my opinion, good luck and i hope that it all works out!
    thank you for taking the time to reply! much appreciated :-)
    I wish you all the best with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you pal, I was predicted BBB yet came out with DDE, I strongly feel it was due to my chronic tonscilitis throughout the year. I'm going to resit and apply next year.
    Does anyone know if my predicted grades will be lower this time around?
    Would anyone advise getting a job this year too on top of resits?
    Thanks for replies

ReputationRep:
    I think this largely depends on your confidence and ability in achieving higher grades if you resit the year. Do you know why exactly you underperformed so much? Also, are your AS grades sufficient that you can pull your final grades up by resitting A2 modules only? You also need to ask yourself if you're interested in this particular course at KCL, or just the general topic. If you're absolutely sure that you only love this specific course, then you should probably resit the year. However, wasting a year and getting the same grades would definitely be unwise. So, to conclude, only you would he able to decide! Good luck in whatever you choose to do, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_student_1996)
    I'm in the same boat as you pal, I was predicted BBB yet came out with DDE, I strongly feel it was due to my chronic tonscilitis throughout the year. I'm going to resit and apply next year.
    Does anyone know if my predicted grades will be lower this time around?
    Would anyone advise getting a job this year too on top of resits?
    Thanks for replies
    Most teachers (at least at my college) don't usually predict grades that are really low, but you could talk to them and ask them to predict you BBB if you promise them that you will work really hard this year, i know a couple of people who did this and teachers want you to get into university so they should be happy to. They could also contact your firm and insurance and explain about the tonsilitis, my faculty administrator did that to me when there was a problem enrolling me for the right exam and they said they would take it into consideration come results day.

As for the job, your third year may be really busy if you are resitting every exam, but if you feel that you can handle it then why not. You could even just get a temporary christmas job and they might take you on after. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.