Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the max. amount of extra marks you can get if you have "special consideration" Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you notify your school and the exam board of you being unwell directly prior to the exam (in my case I had pretty debilitating tonsillitis), how many extra marks can you be entitled to? Like how does it work? I was just wondering, massive thanks to anyone who can help.. (y) (rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiouslife)
    If you notify your school and the exam board of you being unwell directly prior to the exam (in my case I had pretty debilitating tonsillitis), how many extra marks can you be entitled to? Like how does it work? I was just wondering, massive thanks to anyone who can help.. (y) (rep)

I looked this up after I dislocated a rib the day before a maths A2 paper & my teacher applied for it using a medical report from my gp (you may have t pay for this) - you have to apply for it before or at the time of the exam, and you have to have evidence.

It varies a little depending on how bad the extenuating circumstances are. My exam was Edexcel, and my injury was considered to fit into the moderate category, which I think was only about a 5% increase in raw marks. When this is translated into UMS it has very little effect on your grade.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest no point. The marks they give you are so little it doesn't matter. I had Tonsilitus for my exam and I knew the small marks they give dont really matter. I wanted to get a doctors note but my g.p wouldnt give me one. I was told if I wanted one i had to go through this long arduous process.

However I wish I did it because UNI's apparently take into consideration the medical circumstances and lord behold I was a couple marks off the next grade up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiouslife)
    It has to be done by early July. The most you can get is 5%, for tonsilitis it is more likely to be 2-3%.u can't tell from you results whether you got it or not or how much, but your exam officer will know if the application was accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyphrex)
    To be honest no point. The marks they give you are so little it doesn't matter. I had Tonsilitus for my exam and I knew the small marks they give dont really matter. I wanted to get a doctors note but my g.p wouldnt give me one. I was told if I wanted one i had to go through this long arduous process.

However I wish I did it because UNI's apparently take into consideration the medical circumstances and lord behold I was a couple marks off the next grade up.
    ok so everyone seems to have ASKED for special consideration but last week when my A2 results came out i was surprised to see that my maths and further maths papers were under special consideration even though i didnt ask for it they also said that the reason is bcoz my total paper marks dont match the individual paper marks blah blah .....do you have any idea why that is??? also will they decrease my ums??? omg im so worried...they gave me an A fr math but its jus on the pass mark ..as in 480/600 ..if i lose one more mark im gonna get a B!!!(NOOOO) will they reduce my marks??? thank you soo much in advance

ReputationRep:
    Your post is a bit incoherent but I'm trying to make sense of it.

(Original post by JAY GIRRL)
    ok so everyone seems to have ASKED for special consideration but last week when my A2 results came out i was surprised to see that my maths and further maths papers were under special consideration
    How could you tell?

even though i didnt ask for it
    Before special consideration can be applied for, you have to give you permission for the information to be shared with the exam board.

they also said that the reason is bcoz my total paper marks dont match the individual paper marks blah blah
    Having marks that don't add up is not a reason for getting special consideration. Are you saying that 'they' (whoever they is) think that you must have been awarded special consideration because your total UMS exceeds the UMS of the individual units within Further Maths?

you .....do you have any idea why that is??? also will they decrease my ums??? omg im so worried...they gave me an A fr math but its jus on the pass mark ..as in 480/600 ..if i lose one more mark im gonna get a B!!!(NOOOO) will they reduce my marks??? thank you soo much in advance
    Was there any reason for your school to have applied for special consideration for you during the exams? (your illness, serious illness or death of a close relative? etc.)

Do you understand the rules around which units can go in Maths and which in FM?
    (Maths - C1, C2, C3, C4 and any 2 applied units ending in 1 or a matched pair of 1 & 2 (e.g. M1 & M2).
    Further Maths - FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and then anything else not used in Maths.)

Have you double checked all the unit scores you have ever had in Maths units and checked that there really is a mismatch between the unit totals and the overall grades awarded?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.