Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 Economics 2014/2015 - Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, I'm going to be starting A2 economics come September. I struggled a bit with AS economics mostly because of the rather small amount of help available to me outside the textbook. Hopefully if enough of us take this module and are on TSR we can help and support each other :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not studying A2 economics, but I have done some economics at uni. Just came here to say that there are LOADS of helpful youtube videos about economics, so if you're struggling, definitely have a look at those . Good luck with your upcoming studies!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Do you have any websites or books you'd recommend?

I find often my mind makes economic seem more difficult than it actually is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sano16)
    Thank you! Do you have any websites or books you'd recommend?

I find often my mind makes economic seem more difficult than it actually is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My first year economics textbook was amazing, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to get hold of it for a decent price or in a library near you. This is it. I assume that the stuff we learned in first year economics was probably the same as what you learn in A2, but I'm not sure!

www.economicshelp.org really simplifies things and provides notes for various economic topics. A lot of students actually used that website to get a basic background if they missed the lecture and hadn't done the reading yet.

Khan academy is one that was recommended to us by my tutor actually, it's a website and they have a youtube channel. Here are the micro and macroeconomic videos.

The thing I love about economics is that everything can be simplified right down before extending the concepts and models to more difficult problems. Have a look at some videos and different ways of explaining things online and you might find you even start to enjoy it .

ReputationRep:
    Hey I need help to make a decision..
    So basically last year for AS in Econ1 I got 64/100 UMS and for Econ2 I got 77/100 UMS.
    I got a B with 141 UMS. I want to get an A this year in A2 but I don't know which unit I should retake? Econ1 or Econ2? The problem is that I am not good in Econ1 and I don't want to learn everything again.. I would rather retake Econ2 as it is similar to Econ4 but is it possible to get an A if I retake Econ2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ridirahman)
    Hey I need help to make a decision..
    So basically last year for AS in Econ1 I got 64/100 UMS and for Econ2 I got 77/100 UMS.
    I got a B with 141 UMS. I want to get an A this year in A2 but I don't know which unit I should retake? Econ1 or Econ2? The problem is that I am not good in Econ1 and I don't want to learn everything again.. I would rather retake Econ2 as it is similar to Econ4 but is it possible to get an A if I retake Econ2?
    Hi ridirahman,

I would suggest retaking the Econ1 exam. The thing about economics is it's very synoptic so, yes, Econ2 is very much like Econ4, but it is likewise with 1+3. USUALLY Econ1 is deemed the easiest of the two AS units. As you probably know, you were only 3 UMS away from an A in the Econ2, so if you could actually attain an A in Econ1 it would mean two things:

• Firstly, as long as you gain 83 UMS, you would get an A for your AS level meaning it would be much easier to get an A at A2 (especially since it was the worst grade)

• Secondly, your Grassroots knowledge of economics would be much better, effectively lifting your whole understanding of economic concepts. by improving your Econ1 knowledge, you would improve your Econ 3 understanding. You would also improve your econ 2 understanding and therefore your econ 4 understanding.

I personally feel as though the Econ1 retake being more beneficial to you, however you may find merits in retaking Econ2. What i could suggest is looking at the UMS to Raw Marks converter on AQA to work out how many marks you may need for the retake to make you safe enough to get an A in A2. They can break down how many raw marks you may have needed to get better grades, which you can apply to making your decision.

Either way, good luck with it and i hope you get what you want!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UkeHarvey)
    Hi ridirahman,

I would suggest retaking the Econ1 exam. The thing about economics is it's very synoptic so, yes, Econ2 is very much like Econ4, but it is likewise with 1+3. USUALLY Econ1 is deemed the easiest of the two AS units. As you probably know, you were only 3 UMS away from an A in the Econ2, so if you could actually attain an A in Econ1 it would mean two things:

• Firstly, as long as you gain 83 UMS, you would get an A for your AS level meaning it would be much easier to get an A at A2 (especially since it was the worst grade)

• Secondly, your Grassroots knowledge of economics would be much better, effectively lifting your whole understanding of economic concepts. by improving your Econ1 knowledge, you would improve your Econ 3 understanding. You would also improve your econ 2 understanding and therefore your econ 4 understanding.

I personally feel as though the Econ1 retake being more beneficial to you, however you may find merits in retaking Econ2. What i could suggest is looking at the UMS to Raw Marks converter on AQA to work out how many marks you may need for the retake to make you safe enough to get an A in A2. They can break down how many raw marks you may have needed to get better grades, which you can apply to making your decision.

Either way, good luck with it and i hope you get what you want!!

Thanks for your advice.. it was really helpful I will retake Econ1 and try to get a higher UMS so it is easier for me to get an A this year.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.