Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've been thinking of doing this for a while, and was considering attempting the Couch to 5k Running plan, I've got a pair of trainers, is there anything else/any tips people would give about starting to run? Are there good times and bad times, should I do anything in particular? I've never been running before so any advice would be appriciated.

You do the same movement as walking (almost) but much faster. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    I run in the mornings because you have more energy then wear comfortable clothes and start running slow until you reach a steady pace you can maintain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9510)
    So I've been thinking of doing this for a while, and was considering attempting the Couch to 5k Running plan, I've got a pair of trainers, is there anything else/any tips people would give about starting to run? Are there good times and bad times, should I do anything in particular? I've never been running before so any advice would be appriciated.
    Make sure you have enough room in the toe box (usually running trainers are a size larger than you would normally wear). I made this mistake in my first month and several of my toenails fell off!

Ignore all of that crap about gait analysis and cushioning; it's not evidence-based and it's ludicrously expensive. Most running products are the same to be fair (compression gear/gels/hydration solutions). If you want to indulge, fine, but they're not necessary and they're not supported by any decent scientific evidence.

Don't overtrain! I have made this mistake so many times and it has always resulted in injury.

Finally, appreciate that in order to get the most out of running you have to do more than just run. I do pilates, which has improved my core strength and has given me great body awareness. A lot of runners cross train, others do circuits etc.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Stretch well before and after.

ReputationRep:
    http://halhigdon.com/training/50932/...acing-Distance

ReputationRep:
    Running or walking is one of the best way to keep your body fit and maintain.
    For those who can't able to run daily, they have an alternative of walking fast. By walking in a speedy manner can also help in maintaining their body fat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.