The Student Room Group

I want to achieve at least 6 A*+ and become a doctor in the future

Hey guys, so in the future I would like to become a medical doctor and work in that field. Taking it one step at a time, I firstly have to complete my GCSEs which I have exams for in Summer 2015 (starting Year 11 in september). I want to know exactly what I should do in order to achieve my goal, I am naturally good at science and have always done well in it, however I understand that isn't enough to obtain my goals. I have around 9 solid months to become completely prepared to do well in my exams and I am willing to do anything in order to achieve this. I can't see myself doing anything other than this, it is the only thing I have in mind. So, I would like to know what to do in terms of revision, studying, how to manage time and set a time table and how to study/revise effectively in order to get the grades so I can get one step closer... All help is much appreciated :smile:
I hope you do well!
Just don't be arrogant because arrogant people never become doctors-trust me!
Really, you just need to get a 'B' or an 'A' minimum at GCSE for the science tests.
If you want to go to a fancy sixth form or a fancy college, maybe you need a higher grade.
Don't forget maths too!
Oh, and all you really need to do is just work really hard at your college/sixth form, and get an A/A* because if you get any lower grade, you're not going to become a doctor.
Also, reading medical books can help broaden your knowledge regarding medicine or biology, so if you get a University interview, you can talk about books you have read because teachers always like passionate and enthusiastic students.
So, if I were you, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep on Thursday just because I got an 'A' and not an 'A*'. Just as long as you got that 'A' or 'B', I wouldn't be too worried.
But hay, I'm starting Year 11 in September as well, and I know I failed my science exams because I got 'D's' in my mocks, and I don't know anything about science. But I hope you become a doctor! :biggrin:
P.S: You probably did get a good mark in your science test because you can write and speak English correctly, and I can't fault your question gamma wise. Good Luck!
Arrogant people do become doctors. They just mask it well when it counts.
Original post by SuperPowerPony
I hope you do well!
Just don't be arrogant because arrogant people never become doctors-trust me!
Really, you just need to get a 'B' or an 'A' minimum at GCSE for the science tests.
If you want to go to a fancy sixth form or a fancy college, maybe you need a higher grade.
Don't forget maths too!
Oh, and all you really need to do is just work really hard at your college/sixth form, and get an A/A* because if you get any lower grade, you're not going to become a doctor.
Also, reading medical books can help broaden your knowledge regarding medicine or biology, so if you get a University interview, you can talk about books you have read because teachers always like passionate and enthusiastic students.
So, if I were you, I wouldn't cry myself to sleep on Thursday just because I got an 'A' and not an 'A*'. Just as long as you got that 'A' or 'B', I wouldn't be too worried.
But hay, I'm starting Year 11 in September as well, and I know I failed my science exams because I got 'D's' in my mocks, and I don't know anything about science. But I hope you become a doctor! :biggrin:
P.S: You probably did get a good mark in your science test because you can write and speak English correctly, and I can't fault your question gamma wise. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, I would like to study at UCL or Imperial college in the future. I hear that getting at least 4-8 A*s are required in the relevant areas to ensure that my GCSE grades are appealing, so that would be the most ideal situation. Regarding the reading of medical books, can you, or anyone recommend a few? :P Besides that I would like to thank you for the reply :smile:
'Naturally good at science'

Just wait till A level :tongue:
Original post by thatoneguy123
Thanks for the reply, I would like to study at UCL or Imperial college in the future. I hear that getting at least 4-8 A*s are required in the relevant areas to ensure that my GCSE grades are appealing, so that would be the most ideal situation. Regarding the reading of medical books, can you, or anyone recommend a few? :P Besides that I would like to thank you for the reply :smile:

I'm more of a Humanities pupil, so I'm afraid I might be of little help, but I believe that top university like UCL and Imperial College look at your A level results more than your GCSE results. I believe this because Universities want an accurate reflection of who you are NOW, not who you WERE two years ago... A levels are more important too.
I am in the same position as you so don't forget that!
Getting 6 A* will put you in a safe position for many unis, i am waiting on my results and have done alot of research.
Try to aim for the 6A* or more/slightly less in subjects you find easy, e.g. i am very sure i got A* in RE,PE,BIO,CHEM,PHYSICS,GEOG,BUSINESS.(I know thats 7 but its my example). If your not the best at english then try hard as(like me, i'm not very good) two As is a must-i might get 2 Bs lol.

Anyways good luck, dont push yourself too hard i only started revising in year eleven after easter, but if you want a early start go for it.
Reply 7
Saaaaame. I want to become a doctor and achieve great grades but I've just finished my GCSE's and am waitimg for thursday to see if that works-keep hold of ur dream and work hard!!!!
To be totally honest, GCSE's don't require a huge amount of revision- I got 8A*s and 2A's revising about a month before. With the new GCSE system, it is going to be harder, so maybe you will need a little more, but not 9 months, especially if you're good naturally. I would advise using those 9 months to improve your personal statement- do some work experience, start volunteering now and continue until you apply to show commitment, read medical books etc. All the A*s in the world won't get you in unless you can show you have the personal qualities. GCSE's are important for some, extra curricular and experience are vital for all.

Quick Reply

Latest