The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Computer science

Hey guys,

Anyone studying computer science at University of Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Yes!
I'm staying in SPC, you? anyone else?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Im also doing computer science :smile: and im also in St peters court!
I am, I'm in Newark hall. Has anyone done anything to prepare for the course?
Heya, I'm studying comp sci and staying at Newark hall :P Haven't really done any preparation, hoping the units I did in college will set me up nicely for the course :smile:
I was going to learn to program in either c# or java but i never got round to it but now im thinking i should go back over my maths with not doing A levels i a8nt done any for 2 years
Reply 6
Is there really that much maths? Surely there can't be since a level maths is not a requirement. I haven't done maths since gcse either :/
Some people say there is a lot of maths and some say we will be doing mathmatics modules anyway so i dont know :s-smilie:
Reply 8
For Maths we will learn "logic; sets, functions and relations; graphs; induction, basic probability and statistics; matrices." Also I know they teach programming from the beginning, so I suppose you don't need to learn anything beforehand.
(edited 9 years ago)
A Level Computing still isn't taught in a lot of schools, so it's expected that some people will start the course with very little programming experience. It goes right back to basics, and at the same time, whilst some languages are taught on the course, it's for demonstration - the programming modules teach you the theoretical foundations which allow you to pick up similar paradigm languages and just run with them. You don't necessarily 'learn Java', as you learn object-oriented programming and demonstrate this knowledge using Java (for example). You don't 'learn Haskell', but you learn functional programming and demonstrate this using Haskell.

Similarly for maths, it's not a requirement because a lot of the mathematical concepts aren't in the core maths modules in A Level, and not everybody does A Levels - there's BTECs for example. Instead, there's some additional optional maths tutoring for first years to bring people up to speed with some fundamental mathematics. Maths is a huge part of computer science and so there are some compulsory modules which make good use of it, but if it's not your favourite aspect then there are other module themes you can focus on like software engineering.
Reply 10
Hi I'm doing computer science and staying in Newark hall! Does anyone know if we have any suggested reading before the course?
Reply 11
Might be a bit stupid but some people are now telling me there is no point of doing computer science as you can teach yourself most of the stuff and don't need to go to university. What are people's opinions? Is it a respected subject?
Original post by skyhigh12
Might be a bit stupid but some people are now telling me there is no point of doing computer science as you can teach yourself most of the stuff and don't need to go to university. What are people's opinions? Is it a respected subject?

You can teach yourself anything with enough books and credible online sources. I think this is amplified in computer science partly because computer scientists are more likely to seek resources online; and partly because there are likely to be more computer science resources online.

I don't feel this replaces lectures, labs, tutorials, seminars, groupwork, structure and course organisation. It also doesn't get you a qualification which unless you're going into something portfolio-based like web design is pretty important.

I could pick up all the content of a maths or physics degree online, but I'd still study it at university given the chance :smile:
Original post by DarkWhite
You can teach yourself anything with enough books and credible online sources. I think this is amplified in computer science partly because computer scientists are more likely to seek resources online; and partly because there are likely to be more computer science resources online.

I don't feel this replaces lectures, labs, tutorials, seminars, groupwork, structure and course organisation. It also doesn't get you a qualification which unless you're going into something portfolio-based like web design is pretty important.

I could pick up all the content of a maths or physics degree online, but I'd still study it at university given the chance :smile:

Very well said, could not agree more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hi everyone, I'm starting in sept/2014, hope to meet you all soon. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending