Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Needless to say, I am really pissed off by this whole thing...

I have been in the situation more than once where I've been harassed by people who make up the excuse of "I can't help it. I have mental health issues" and then go as far to blame me for their behaviour.:mad: Because of course, I forced you to contact me all the time.:rolleyes:

The first time, it stopped pretty quick because he got sectioned, which was my fault again apparently.:mad: The second time, it stopped after about 6 months. I assume he got bored of me rejecting his Facebook friend requests.

Anyway, the second time it happened, I got the police involved because I was getting really sick of him constantly trying to contact me and blaming me for his behaviour. They told me that because he has Autism, (as do I) his behaviour is acceptable.:mad:

I haven't really talked to anyone about what happened with the other person either. I spoke to my running coach (or rather, I got a lecture) and explained it was one of the reasons why I want to leave. He said "well, he has depression and OCD and can't help it" and then went on to say that because he knows he's upsetting people, he's stopped coming to club. My running coach then made it sound as though this was all my fault. My only crime was giving out my mobile number. (He'd asked if we could meet for coffee and I thought nothing of it)

So yeah, is harassment ever ok, even if you do have mental health issues? I was going through a rather **** time both times too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Needless to say, I am really pissed off by this whole thing...

I have been in the situation more than once where I've been harassed by people who make up the excuse of "I can't help it. I have mental health issues" and then go as far to blame me for their behaviour.:mad: Because of course, I forced you to contact me all the time.:rolleyes:

The first time, it stopped pretty quick because he got sectioned, which was my fault again apparently.:mad: The second time, it stopped after about 6 months. I assume he got bored of me rejecting his Facebook friend requests.

Anyway, the second time it happened, I got the police involved because I was getting really sick of him constantly trying to contact me and blaming me for his behaviour. They told me that because he has Autism, (as do I) his behaviour is acceptable.:mad:

I haven't really talked to anyone about what happened with the other person either. I spoke to my running coach (or rather, I got a lecture) and explained it was one of the reasons why I want to leave. He said "well, he has depression and OCD and can't help it" and then went on to say that because he knows he's upsetting people, he's stopped coming to club. My running coach then made it sound as though this was all my fault. My only crime was giving out my mobile number. (He'd asked if we could meet for coffee and I thought nothing of it)

So yeah, is harassment ever ok, even if you do have mental health issues? I was going through a rather **** time both times too.
    People only excuse them because they're not the ones at the receiving end. :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
    People only excuse them because they're not the ones at the receiving end. :rolleyes:
    This was the impression I got both times. Neither understood how frustrating it is waking up to text messages or Facebook messages where the person is basically moaning because I'm not around 24/7. It was never just the one message. I was sent several in 12 hours and none of the messages made no sense.

One claimed his behaviour was normal I'm a **** friend and he's obsessed with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    This was the impression I got both times. Neither understood how frustrating it is waking up to text messages or Facebook messages where the person is basically moaning because I'm not around 24/7. It was never just the one message. I was sent several in 12 hours and none of the messages made no sense.

One claimed his behaviour was normal I'm a **** friend and he's obsessed with me.
    Maybe get to people a bit more before you give any contact details away. If they ask you for your number, tell them you don't want to do anything yet, just to stay wary. They should be able to respect your decision.

ReputationRep:
    I admit sometimes I use my MH issues to make up excuses for my behaviour at times. Is he on your case all the time? It can be hard sometimes with people who have MI esp. when they blame you for what they've done. I've been there myself. Can't you make sure he understands you don't want to know?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 18, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.