Chances of my History remark increasing my grade? Watch

anonlad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Throughout year 12 I never got below an A in a practice paper for my Unit 2 History, however for the real exam a pretty horrible 40 mark question came up. I left the exam feeling disappointed but thinking I'd get a C at the absolute lowest and feeling optimistic about a B (or low A)..

It turns out I got a U for that exam which was a lot worse than expected. I did loads of past papers and learned the level boundaries for the particular unit and what I had to do to get a certain grade, and I'm fairly sure I did the higher-end cross referencing with integrated knowledge, etc. Admittedly I was panicked, so I 'waffled' a lot and my layout was pretty atrocious, but at the same time I'm fairly sure bad layout and lack of concision shouldn't automatically qualify for a U, given that I know I got several key points down.

So has anyone had a history remark before? Currently on 38/100 UMS, my Unit 1 was 90% A so I'm hoping for 12 more UMS (6 raw marks) to pull the exam up to a D and salvage an overall B in AS History - should I get my hopes up?

*apologies if I sound arrogant but I'm pretty gutted about it, especially seeing as I want to study History at university..
aishah026
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robhughes)
Throughout year 12 I never got below an A in a practice paper for my Unit 2 History, however for the real exam a pretty horrible 40 mark question came up. I left the exam feeling disappointed but thinking I'd get a C at the absolute lowest and feeling optimistic about a B (or low A)..

It turns out I got a U for that exam which was a lot worse than expected. I did loads of past papers and learned the level boundaries for the particular unit and what I had to do to get a certain grade, and I'm fairly sure I did the higher-end cross referencing with integrated knowledge, etc. Admittedly I was panicked, so I 'waffled' a lot and my layout was pretty atrocious, but at the same time I'm fairly sure bad layout and lack of concision shouldn't automatically qualify for a U, given that I know I got several key points down.

So has anyone had a history remark before? Currently on 38/100 UMS, my Unit 1 was 90% A so I'm hoping for 12 more UMS (6 raw marks) to pull the exam up to a D and salvage an overall B in AS History - should I get my hopes up?

*apologies if I sound arrogant but I'm pretty gutted about it, especially seeing as I want to study History at university..
in a very similar situation to you. Got an E for one paper, and a high A for the other. Think it's definitely best to get the paper remarked, you've obviously done something right to get a high A in one of papers so it is probably a marking issue!
I also want to study history at uni too, just out of interest what uni's are you looking to apply to?
stinkyalice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a history remark for A2 (it was a borderline B/A) but that stayed the same. But then a girl in my class got 8 extra marks after getting the same paper remarked. It's worth getting a remark because you shouldn't accept a U without challenging it. Even if it comes out the same or doesn't improve significantly, it will still be worth it for you to have a copy of the the paper. Then if you want to retake you will at least know what you did which was so disastrous. It might also be good for your history teacher to see the reasons they gave for failing you. It could possibly be that you were just not being taught very well and that the practice papers were being marked too high. Also, if your school are at fault and they accept that, then this could be written on your uni reference.

Assuming there hasn't been some severe mistake, though, it is likely you will have to retake in your A2 year as it's unlikely your grade will go up from a U to a B. That would probably mean you couldn't get on to a History course if you apply in yr 13. My advice would be that if history is really what you want to do, then you should look in to getting the best marks possible next year (in AS retake and A2) and doing a gap year, during which you can visit historical sites and do UCAS. Anyway, flopping an AS looks **** if you haven't done your A2s yet but you have plenty of time to rectify it. I took 1 and a half gap years and ended up studying abroad after missing my offer for Cambridge. You should try to do as much as you can to give yourself a good chance at uni applications, but do not attach too much worth to this one ****ty AS level grade.
anonlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by aishah026)
in a very similar situation to you. Got an E for one paper, and a high A for the other. Think it's definitely best to get the paper remarked, you've obviously done something right to get a high A in one of papers so it is probably a marking issue!
I also want to study history at uni too, just out of interest what uni's are you looking to apply to?
Have you applied to remark the E grade? But yeah something about this doesn't add up

I had Oxford, Durham and UCL in mind (hadn't decided on the other two) although not sure what to do now. If History grade stays at a C I'll probably apply for Law at the same universities, loved all three of them when I visited. What about you?
anonlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by stinkyalice)
I got a history remark for A2 (it was a borderline B/A) but that stayed the same. But then a girl in my class got 8 extra marks after getting the same paper remarked. It's worth getting a remark because you shouldn't accept a U without challenging it. Even if it comes out the same or doesn't improve significantly, it will still be worth it for you to have a copy of the the paper. Then if you want to retake you will at least know what you did which was so disastrous. It might also be good for your history teacher to see the reasons they gave for failing you. It could possibly be that you were just not being taught very well and that the practice papers were being marked too high. Also, if your school are at fault and they accept that, then this could be written on your uni reference.

Assuming there hasn't been some severe mistake, though, it is likely you will have to retake in your A2 year as it's unlikely your grade will go up from a U to a B. That would probably mean you couldn't get on to a History course if you apply in yr 13. My advice would be that if history is really what you want to do, then you should look in to getting the best marks possible next year (in AS retake and A2) and doing a gap year, during which you can visit historical sites and do UCAS. Anyway, flopping an AS looks **** if you haven't done your A2s yet but you have plenty of time to rectify it. I took 1 and a half gap years and ended up studying abroad after missing my offer for Cambridge. You should try to do as much as you can to give yourself a good chance at uni applications, but do not attach too much worth to this one ****ty AS level grade.

I think I should wait for the remark before making any big decisions but I've been debating a gap year, although more likely I'll apply for law because I was planning to do a conversion after three years of History anyway.

Found the advice useful though, thanks a lot
aishah026
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by robhughes)
Have you applied to remark the E grade? But yeah something about this doesn't add up

I had Oxford, Durham and UCL in mind (hadn't decided on the other two) although not sure what to do now. If History grade stays at a C I'll probably apply for Law at the same universities, loved all three of them when I visited. What about you?
Yes I'll be requesting a remark definitely, it does seem extremely dodgy.

Oh cool! I was thinking of those uni's too, and probably Bristol and Kings too! Well, if it doesn't go up after a remark you could resit and then tell the uni's you just had a bad day and thats why you ended up with a bad grade hopefully they'll understand
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads